qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

*skitters under table with two bagel tops and the last piece of salmon*

please note that all break room zaniness on twitter should be tagged #BAGELCRIME

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
someone brought in a toaster oven into our break room from home and it's the most disgustingly filthy thing i've ever seen in my life

Sniep fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 24, 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sniep posted:

someone brought in a toaster oven into our break room from home and it's the most disgustingly filthy thing i've ever seen in my life

:stonk:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sniep posted:

someone brought in a toaster oven into our break room from home and it's the most disgustingly filthy thing i've ever seen in my life

just spend 10 minutes cleaning it and you will have an adequate toaster oven.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

lampey posted:

just spend 10 minutes cleaning it and you will have an adequate toaster oven.

I'm not touching it.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Triglav posted:

From: Mgmt
To: All
CC: HR
Subject: A Reminder About Personal Hygiene

Please Remember That This Is A Work Environment And That You Should Wear Shoes At All Times While In The Office. Also Please Remember That We Have Free Employee Showers Adjacent The Gym Locker Room For Those Who Bike To Work Or Work Out While At Work Or For Anyone Who May Want To "Freshen Up"

Thank You And Have A Great Day

------------------------------
Bill Meyers
Chief Executive Officer
+1 555 555.5555
BMeyers@AcmeCorp.com
"For God So Loved The World That He Gave His Only Begotten Son" ~John 3:16

gently caress the ceo

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

that really didn;t go out to everybody did it?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Dolomite posted:

gently caress the ceo

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I have strong opinions on how to do dishes in a communal setting. I formed these strong opinions from life in hacker homes and medium-sized offices. Just enough people to have a tragedy of the commons effect, not so many as to make professional cleaning staff reasonable.

1) Nagging doesn't work. This is especially true of condescending emails and posted notices. "Your mother doesn't work here..." just makes people want to leave things dirty to spite you.

2) The main reason people don't do their dishes and put them in the dishwasher is because there are already dishes in the sink.

3) The main reason people leave dishes in the sink is because the dishwasher is both full and clean. A policy of "if the dishwasher is clean then the next unlucky person to use a cup has to empty the entire thing" will simply not be followed.

4) Because of 3, someone needs to own emptying the dishwasher. If you are the office manager, house captain, or otherwise default person responsible for facilities issues, congratulations that person is you. No one else will volunteer.

5) A secondary reason people leave dishes in the sink is because they do not know if the dishwasher is clean or dirty.

6) A flippable "dishwasher is clean/dirty" sign, magnet, and similar indicators are completely unreliable and will not be trusted, even if you follow it religiously. The same goes for automatic "clean" lights on dishwashers that in practice mean "the dishwasher was not yet opened after running".

So, what works? Just act like people here do their own dishes. Don't ask, plead, or beg, just say it already happens (and imply they're the odd one out if they don't).

As for keeping track of clean/dirty, the most robust method is to put soap in the dishwasher after you've finished emptying it, as part of the job of emptying. This provides an unambiguous signal that they have not yet run, no matter how clean-looking dishes inside look. This has the added benefit of being a step you need to do anyway, and you can add further redundancy by checking that the soap is there when you put dishes in in case you forgot. If someone asks clean/dirty status, just ask them if there is soap in it.

From: Mgmt
To: All
CC: HR

Please Remember That This Is A Work Environment And That You Should Wear Shoes At All Times While In The Office. Also Please Remember That We Have Free Employee Showers Adjacent The Gym Locker Room For Those Who Bike To Work Or Work Out While At Work Or For Anyone Who May Want To "Freshen Up"

Thank You And Have A Great Day

------------------------------
Bill Meyers
Chief Executive Officer
+1 555 555.5555
BMeyers@AcmeCorp.com
"For God So Loved The World That He Gave His Only Begotten Son" ~John 3:16
The worst movie title ever

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i love me a good christian business

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

ShadowHawk posted:

[...]

shadowhawk I hope I'm not alone in saying you're a pretty alright guy :)

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

the gently caress is this anyways

I asked one guy why he's always putting "j" in random places and he said they are smiley faces. what?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

DNova posted:

the gently caress is this anyways

I asked one guy why he's always putting "j" in random places and he said they are smiley faces. what?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2006/05/23/604741.aspx

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

good lord

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ray owns

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Don't forget! Next week, you'll need to submit a timesheet on the last day of the month and another on Friday as normal. Also remember that these are extremely important to fill out accurately every week!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

maniacdevnull posted:

Don't forget! Next week, you'll need to submit a timesheet on the last day of the month and another on Friday as normal. Also remember that these are extremely important to fill out accurately every week!

we have this :(

duTrieux. posted:

today in the office breakfast and lunch are being catered for a meeting.

scavengers make up a critical part of any healthy corporate ecosystem, cleaning up debris and leftover organic matter.

and this :)

The best thing to do is to excise all the meat from the tiny sandwiches leftovers and make one regular sandwich

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao timesheets

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

echinopsis posted:

lmao timesheets

Mine are as important as they are identical every week.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
when I worked at EA my timesheets were going to the wrong department and some random director was approving them. he was going on sabbatical and emailed me to tell me he couldn't approve them while he was gone and it caused a huge shitstorm because my boss was supposed to be approving them and wasn't for months.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Beast of Bourbon posted:

when I worked at EA [...] was going on sabbatical

this doesn't seem to add up, i thought ea worked everyone to death forever?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when he says sabbatical, he means his own funeral

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
the people who have been at EA since the 80s can do whatever they want whenever they want

DavekDOS
Aug 8, 2013

Wouldya look at the bauds on this guy? How can my 28.8k keep up?

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the people who have been at EA since the 80s can do whatever they want whenever they want

gotta keep porting that old paint program or some poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the people who have been at EA since the 80s can do whatever they want whenever they want

Greetings

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Green Team announces:
Bagels for Bikers!
From now till the end of August, if you commute to the office on a bicycle during the week, you get a bagel on Friday.

Q: What do I do?
A: Travel at least part of way to the Auburn Hills office on a human powered vehicle that does not require a license to operate.

Q: Who do I tell?
A: When you bike in, send me an email. Include a ‘selfie’ with your bicycle if you want to be in the end-of-the-year montage.

Q: Where’s my bagel?
A: Bagels will be in the upstairs cafeteria at 10:00 AM on Friday (or whichever day closes out that week).

So pump up those tires, grab your helmet, and enjoy the fresh air!

The Green Team

entire message is in comic sans and in green because it's from ~the green team~

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tusen Takk posted:

The Green Team announces:
Bagels for Bikers!
From now till the end of August, if you commute to the office on a bicycle during the week, you get a bagel on Friday.

Q: What do I do?
A: Travel at least part of way to the Auburn Hills office on a human powered vehicle that does not require a license to operate.

Q: Who do I tell?
A: When you bike in, send me an email. Include a ‘selfie’ with your bicycle if you want to be in the end-of-the-year montage.

Q: Where’s my bagel?
A: Bagels will be in the upstairs cafeteria at 10:00 AM on Friday (or whichever day closes out that week).

So pump up those tires, grab your helmet, and enjoy the fresh air!

The Green Team

entire message is in comic sans and in green because it's from ~the green team~

tbqh this sounds like it's right up your maturity level

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

A 'selfie'

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

we dont have showers here so rip people's olfactory capabilities

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
after trying to kill everyone on the road, the least you bicyclers can do is shower. you smell awful.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

congratulations on the promotion kevin!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Tru story

quote:

From: Mgmt
To: All
Date: June 6, 2013
Subject: Free Drinks in Vending Machines

Starting next week we will be offering free soda beverages in the vending machines. You will each be issued a card which will allow you three drinks a day, the count resets each day at midnight.

Enjoy your free drinks!

quote:

From: Mgmt
To: All
Date: August 11, 2013
Subject: Free Drinks Program Reminder

We have noticed people are enthusiastically participating in our free drink program, some using their three drinks daily. Please note that if you're not going to drink the beverages you shouldn't get one and store it in your cube. We will not be terminating this program you do not need to hoard your drinks.

quote:

From: Mgmt
To: All
Date: November 27, 2013
Subject: Free Drinks Program: Update!

We have received complaints that there's not enough variety of beverages in the drink program. As of today we have also added unsweetened ice-tea which will be replacing water. Also, please try and recycle your empty cans and bottles!

quote:

From: Mgmt
To: All
Date: December 21, 2013
Subject: Free Drinks Program

Due to environmental concerns and the lack of healthy beverage choices we have decided to discontinue the free drink program. Today you should all receive a free reusable water bottle. Please use the filtered water dispenser in the common areas. We are happy to offer soda beverages in the vending machines which you can purchase with your credit card.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

remember hovercraft deals with architects and civil engineers and poo poo. they run screaming from change

bingo

adobe acrobat and even reader have supported redline revisions for around a decade now but my older colleagues who need to get something to me remotely will just print it out, mark it up in red pen, and then make a low enough quality scan of it so that they can email it to me

then they call me up to explain it b/c you can't read anything from it being 3rd generation reproduction and their idiot boomer script

also every office that i've ever worked in has required me to print out expense reports so that i can wet sign them

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

the plant smells like stallman's semen

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lmao

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Valeyard posted:

so back in the first week of uni we got this email

"to post to this list, send your email to.." a bunch of people must have thought durrr i need to email this list to get subscribed to it, resulting in like 200 emails

and every single email just contained their student number + student email

and then one cookie figured it out

thanks for readig about my retarded peers

this happened at portland state university a few years ago, with the history department

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sniep posted:

someone brought in a toaster oven into our break room from home and it's the most disgustingly filthy thing i've ever seen in my life

apparently you've never seen ur poasts!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

at my last job hr accidentally copied all of the us staff on an email and despite email and in person pleas it still wet on for over 48 hours

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Cat Face Joe posted:

at my last job hr accidentally copied all of the us staff on an email and despite email and in person pleas it still wet on for over 48 hours

Make an outlook rule to move them to the recycle bin based on subject line #lifehacks

  • Locked thread