Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

And do we know if car tokens are still in the game?

There are loot crates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Prepare yourselves...

New! (Driver suit/helmet/colorway) available now! Only $2.99 in the in-game market!

I hope I'm wrong but it seems like adding racer gear/skins is a great way for them to do microtransactions. And do we know if car tokens are still in the game?

This is true and valid, but also you can't see your avatar ever (in car / hood cam are the only cams) so if you buy that you deserve to give away your money.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Forza 5 is going to be on games with gold next month if people don't have it.

I'm confused by this but at least now i'll own all Forza titles.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

I said come in! posted:

I'm confused by this but at least now i'll own all Forza titles.

People will play FM5 free in September, then in October all the reviews will be out with people raving about 7 and they will almost certainly move more copies because of it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If 5, 6, and 7 end up being similar in quality ramp up that 2, 3, and 4 were, this should be an amazing Forza.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Prepare yourselves...

New! (Driver suit/helmet/colorway) available now! Only $2.99 in the in-game market!

I hope I'm wrong but it seems like adding racer gear/skins is a great way for them to do microtransactions. And do we know if car tokens are still in the game?
I would pay almost full game price again for the scorpion jacket from Drive, which I would never see when actually driving.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Also FM5 will be delisted in a couple months most likely so why not get it in as many people's hands as possible and try to wring out some car pass sales before it all gets taken down.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Why would it get taken down?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Norns posted:

Why would it get taken down?

Licensing agreements are time limited. None of the old Forza games (4 and earlier, also horizon 1) are available digitally anymore, and neither is their DLC.

About a year ago horizon 1 was added to games with gold and Xbox One backwards compatibility and a few weeks later it was completely de-listed along with all its DLC.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

For some reason I was only thinking about music licensing and not actual licensing on the cars

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have all the DLC for 3 and 4 on my Xbox 360 hard drive and as soon as it dies they are gone forever with no way to retrieve them. It really sucks.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

GutBomb posted:

I have all the DLC for 3 and 4 on my Xbox 360 hard drive and as soon as it dies they are gone forever with no way to retrieve them. It really sucks.

Not entirely. Lots of de-listed DLC can be redownloaded via your download history. However I do believe some more minor pieces of 4 and Horizon 1's DLC are straight up gone from the servers despite the download history.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ixnay posted:

Also FM5 will be delisted in a couple months most likely so why not get it in as many people's hands as possible and try to wring out some car pass sales before it all gets taken down.

yep. next year this will happen to horizon 2.

Cojawfee posted:

If 5, 6, and 7 end up being similar in quality ramp up that 2, 3, and 4 were, this should be an amazing Forza.

i mean 4 kicked rear end but it was not nearly as huge a jump as the jump from 2 to 3 was. it was more a refinement than a real evolution of the series. i expect 7 will be the same in this regard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

financially racist posted:

i mean 4 kicked rear end but it was not nearly as huge a jump as the jump from 2 to 3 was. it was more a refinement than a real evolution of the series. i expect 7 will be the same in this regard.

I'm not saying 3 to 4 was an amazing jump, but it was a perfection of 3. 5 was a wet fart, and 6 was great. Hopefully 7 is the same as 4 where it perfects what 6 was.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

5 was horrible at launch with the prices and constant nagging to buy poo poo

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
it'll be on pc and have multiplayer so like i really don't see how it wont be great by default

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is anybody else concerned about how proud Turn10 is of their new dynamic weather system?

I don't want half of every race to be in the rain.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GreatGreen posted:

Is anybody else concerned about how proud Turn10 is of their new dynamic weather system?

I don't want half of every race to be in the rain.

Codemasters and the pcars guys have both been going on about dynamic weather a lot lately too, I think its just the marketing "thing" for racing games right now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dynamic weather has been a goal for racing games for a very long time. The more games get decent dry>wet transitions the better.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Has Turn 10 mentioned anything about different tire compounds for Forza 7? Dynamic weather is pointless if it doesn't include the ability to pit for wet or intermediate tires and the strategy that goes along with choosing (ie if it's the last few laps is it worth it to try and stay out when it starts raining. That was by far the most interesting and fun part of that F1 games they gave out for free on XBL Gold a while back and is what made me realize the potential for how cool dynamic weather can be.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Has Turn 10 mentioned anything about different tire compounds for Forza 7? Dynamic weather is pointless if it doesn't include the ability to pit for wet or intermediate tires and the strategy that goes along with choosing (ie if it's the last few laps is it worth it to try and stay out when it starts raining. That was by far the most interesting and fun part of that F1 games they gave out for free on XBL Gold a while back and is what made me realize the potential for how cool dynamic weather can be.
From what I've heard the tyres just don't care about weather conditions. Slicks just continue to grip or something.

Sounds like poo poo. I won't be doing mixed weather... I mean, it's the loving point of it, right?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yep, the fun part of doing long-ish Codemasters F1 races with the weather was playing the "time your pit" game. One lap early, you burn up the wet tires, or slide off on slicks. One lap late, you're tip-toeing around on ice. And this would work dry/inter/wet too, so always a strategy to work out.

PCars didn't lean into it that much and if Forza doesn't have something similar for slicks/wets it'll be less than it could be.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeah this is a HUGE thing I've been wondering about lately. Pcars has the same problem where they're going hard on dynamic weather but I don't think they've bothered implementing different tires you can swap between, so what's the loving point?

Its something F1 2017 completely nails and half the reason why I bought that game.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Dynamic weather is usually implemented so unrealisticly. Not worth the coding effort in my opinion. Have varied weather, but let it be static for a race unless you plan on going all in with track temps affecting grip, different tire compounds, etc.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

djfooboo posted:

Dynamic weather is usually implemented so unrealisticly. Not worth the coding effort in my opinion. Have varied weather, but let it be static for a race unless you plan on going all in with track temps affecting grip, different tire compounds, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTw3GCCeH4Q&t=30s

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah this is a HUGE thing I've been wondering about lately. Pcars has the same problem where they're going hard on dynamic weather but I don't think they've bothered implementing different tires you can swap between, so what's the loving point?

Its something F1 2017 completely nails and half the reason why I bought that game.

PCars 1 had various slick compounds and "wets" if memory serves, and setups could go to "automatic by weather" to choose the compound. Can't remember how changing compounds was implemented in races, but few games have done it as well as the Codie F1 games, between the setup page and the on-track radio choice menu.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zaphod42 posted:

djfooboo posted:

Project CARS 1 certainly had dynamic weather, the ability to change tire compound either at the start of a race or during (manually with a pit menu or an "automatic by weather" setting) and the weather directly affected grip levels by reducing grip because of water and affecting track and tire temperature as conditions changed. These are all being carried over to Project CARS 2. The launch version of Project CARS sort of sucked in a few aspects (FFB was hosed up and default setups were total poo poo) but it was a lot better than people gave it credit for and the developers were very attentive and fixed everything. Within a couple months it was extremely solid but everyone had written it off at that point.

When they introduced weather in Forza Motorsport 6 Turn 10 said the reason they didn't focus on dynamic weather or the ability to change tire compounds during pit stops was to prevent PI disparity since their system is very reliant on PI. It sounded like a poo poo excuse at the time and the fact that dynamic weather and compound changing is now a thing in 7 kind of proves that it was a poo poo excuse.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I mean I do really like the idea of dynamic weather and day/night cycles for long marathon races, but if I'm trying to get my lap times down at a specific track or fine-tuning a car for a particular track or something, any weather other than "idyllic sunny day" is going to be annoying. How am I going to know if a new strategy I'm trying is working if the weather changes randomly at a different point in each lap?

I hope we'll at least be able to configure it a bit or outright switch it off if we want. I supposed it's a pipe dream to hope for stuff like checkboxes for different weather types per race and sliders for how likely each one is to occur, a time of day clock setting and a checkbox to choose if time of day passes or stays still, etc.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 28, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
one of the first racing games i ever played in like 1992 had dynamic weather and tire changing so the fact its taken forza this long to get weather is loving dumb

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just a month left until the Ultimate Edition release. :f5: Still haven't heard anything about when the demo will drop.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I think you guys are hoping for too much. 'Dynamic weather' for Forza is probably just a moving and changing skybox and lighting changes with no perceivable difference to grip to the player on track, except for the rain stuff. And I'd be surprised if Forza does pit stop tire compound changes. Forza has always been like a couch simulator, something that you can pick up and play while offering realistic driving physics.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
P sure Forza 7 still doesn't have animated pitstops. :/

Despite having pitcrews and stuff walking around in the prerace.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Forza doesn't need dynamic weather, because multiplayer races are only ever a few laps anyway. Unless we want to do another maple valley enduro.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Falken posted:

P sure Forza 7 still doesn't have animated pitstops. :/

Despite having pitcrews and stuff walking around in the prerace.

It doesn't. It shows the car entering the pits, sitting there with a list of what's being replaced.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Doorknob Slobber posted:

one of the first racing games i ever played in like 1992 had dynamic weather and tire changing so the fact its taken forza this long to get weather is loving dumb

I was playing text adventure games in 1980 that had dynamic weather so it's pretty ridiculous your 1992 racing game took so long

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cojawfee posted:

Forza doesn't need dynamic weather, because multiplayer races are only ever a few laps anyway. Unless we want to do another maple valley enduro.

Medium-length races online are my favorite (like 15-20 laps) and that is the kind of race where weather could matter.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Weather made a pretty huge difference to grip in Forza 6, so I dunno. I hate playing racing games with weather enabled anyways.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Deals with gold discounts for the week of August 29th thru September 4th:
  • Forza Motorsport 6 VIP - 75% off
  • Forza Motorsport 6 Fast & Furious Car Pack - 50% off
  • Forza Horizon 2 VIP - 80% off

Gotta admit I'm not feeling all that optimistic about the content in 7, feels like they just mashed the car rosters of FM6 and FH3 together and just called it a day without adding all that much actual new content to it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I said come in! posted:

Weather made a pretty huge difference to grip in Forza 6, so I dunno. I hate playing racing games with weather enabled anyways.

Same here. Give me a dry track on a sunny day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
*fanbase whines incessantly for 12 years about dynamic weather*

*t10 gives them dynamic weather after all those years, players turn it off in the options*

• Locked thread