Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

*fanbase whines incessantly for 12 years about dynamic weather*

*t10 gives them dynamic weather after all those years, players turn it off in the options*

The only thing I've whined incessantly for is Maple Valley. Good on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

*t10 gives them dynamic weather after all those years, players turn it off in the options*

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

It's the same kinds of people who do the "Final Destination, Fox only, no items" bullshit in Smash. They don't like having to adapt their strategy to randomness so they make the game un-fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

This is the same for every racing game. Go on any forum for any racing sim and you'll see people clamoring for dynamic weather. Then it gets there, no one wants to use it because no one actually wants to race in the rain. People just want to do a couple laps when it's raining to see what it's like and then go back to racing in perfect weather. It's especially bad on iRacing. People want dynamic weather, but then people realize that dynamic weather means that their race might have a bunch of rain, but someone else's race that week won't have any rain. That other person now has a better chance of getting more championship points because they had good racing conditions. Or you could make it so the dynamic weather is decided at the beginning of the week and every race gets the same weather, but then that isn't very dynamic if you know exactly when the rain will hit.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I want rain

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

gently caress dynamic weather, I want dynamic structures. Split Second was good.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Having to adapt to changing track conditions owns and rain, temperature, lines becoming rubbered in, marbles off line, gravel/debris, etc, are all cool as hell and should be in every racing game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Eyud posted:

Having to adapt to changing track conditions owns and rain, temperature, lines becoming rubbered in, marbles off line, gravel/debris, etc, are all cool as hell and should be in every racing game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Gotta admit I'm not feeling all that optimistic about the content in 7, feels like they just mashed the car rosters of FM6 and FH3 together and just called it a day without adding all that much actual new content to it.

I get what you're saying but Maple Valley is back.

wolrah posted:

It's the same kinds of people who do the "Final Destination, Fox only, no items" bullshit in Smash. They don't like having to adapt their strategy to randomness so they make the game un-fun.

Forza is still fun with or without weather.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 29, 2017

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Here's the final list of cars. https://www.autoblog.com/2017/08/29/final-forza-7-cars-are-revealed/

If that graphic is correct, there are 714 cars at launch. There are ~45 cars that haven't been announced. NASCAR and Formula E have been updated to 2017, but the GT cars are still recycled as of right now. So there's no M6, etc. Even Porsche 911 RSR is still from 2011. I guess that deal goes a long way, even PCars too has more current Porsches than Forza.

:lol:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So there are some areas where the car list in Forza is weak on, but I would still argue that Forza Motorsport has the most well rounded and diverse car list of any racing sim.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I said come in! posted:

So there are some areas where the car list in Forza is weak on, but I would still argue that Forza Motorsport has the most well rounded and diverse car list of any racing sim.

What happened to that sweet SAAB from Forza 4?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

quote:

1994 Honda Prelude Si
2000 Honda Prelude Type SH
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

hell yes! :rice:

god bless forza cause you know they'll let you RWD convert these for the lols

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

geeves posted:

If that graphic is correct, there are 714 cars at launch. There are ~45 cars that haven't been announced.

All toyota. Surprise!

:( Dare to dream.... :(

I'm buying the fancy version of this Forza for PC I think, since the last one I played was 4 (because I didn't want an xbox one), and my single favorite car in it was the Alltrac Celica. :( Bums me out that I can't use that in this new one.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

OhsH posted:

I want rain

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

https://youtu.be/GpBFOJ3R0M4

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Agreed on the car variety. A big argument some have is that the classes are still highly unbalanced because of cars in classes might not actually belong (Bac Mono, Alfa 33, Aston Martin GT2).

At least with Modern GT division, some of this could be fixed with updating divisions that were introduced in FM6. Forza tried to mitigate a lot of this by limiting things to 880PI, but they inexplicably dropped it. It's why the Modern GT Racing hopper might as well be Aston Martin Endurance Racing.

Greenwalt said that FM7 was returning to its roots with a big focus on Motorsport. The car list clearly states otherwise. We still could be in for a surprise / day one car list of updated GT cars, but I doubt it. The Toyota licensing troubles are probably endemic of a bigger issue.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Remember when Left 4 Dead came out and everyone lost their poo poo about teams getting tank spawns at different times in Vs mode? Fox-only-Final-Destination types can gently caress right off. I want fully-simulated weather changes on Nurburgring and Spa.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

geeves posted:

Agreed on the car variety. A big argument some have is that the classes are still highly unbalanced because of cars in classes might not actually belong (Bac Mono, Alfa 33, Aston Martin GT2).

At least with Modern GT division, some of this could be fixed with updating divisions that were introduced in FM6. Forza tried to mitigate a lot of this by limiting things to 880PI, but they inexplicably dropped it. It's why the Modern GT Racing hopper might as well be Aston Martin Endurance Racing.

Greenwalt said that FM7 was returning to its roots with a big focus on Motorsport. The car list clearly states otherwise. We still could be in for a surprise / day one car list of updated GT cars, but I doubt it. The Toyota licensing troubles are probably endemic of a bigger issue.

they aren't even doing everything they could for "grassroots" motorsport. I know people gripe about all the varieties of Skyline GT-Rs, but if they really wanted to give you the feel of grassroots motorsport in the U.S., they'd provide another E30 beyond the M3. And would make sure the various Miatas look good. And plenty of variations of pony cars. And...

Yeah. I'm almost more interested in PCars2 because the car list looks like exactly what I want. tuning up street cars is fun, but there's also a lot of fun to be found in taking a class and having four or five viable cars for it.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

All I want in the porsche poo poo is the turbopanzer is that too much to ask.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Night and rain racing are gimmicks used to show off fancy effects and lighting in games. In practice, racing in the dark and the wet are stupid.

Somebody post the new thread already. FM6 came out 2 years ago.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

actually racing in the rain is fun and racing in the dark fuckin rules, sorry

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

yeah, most of the cars in the game have a handbrake - have some fun with it when a bunch of cars crash right in front of you on slick roads

thunderstorms and lightning very very frightening!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Shumagorath posted:

Remember when Left 4 Dead came out and everyone lost their poo poo about teams getting tank spawns at different times in Vs mode? Fox-only-Final-Destination types can gently caress right off. I want fully-simulated weather changes on Nurburgring and Spa.

How about a simple checkbox to turn dynamic weather on/off?

There, now literally everybody is happy except for people who can't have fun unless they're able to narrowly dictate the way everybody else has their fun, but that's ok because gently caress them! :buddy:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 29, 2017

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i'm not gonna be on the top10 global leaderboard for a lap time but i can beat ppl near me on the track sometimes and driving in the rain makes that way more exciting than racing myself every single time over and over and over again for a fraction of a second difference

it's fun to do both tbh but rain in a multiplayer race seems like it would only make things better. basically anything you can do to make the cars easier to crash and drivers improvise is probably a good idea even if its like a loving seagull in the road or some bullshit lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

financially racist posted:

actually racing in the rain is fun and racing in the dark fuckin rules, sorry

Neither option will beat our Gran Turismo 5 Nurburgring races on go-karts in the rain and dark, so what is the point?

Although I think Project CARS 1 and 2 might actually have this. :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Racing in the dark is in fact terrible and unfun, a fact that any real life endurance racer will tell you openly and repeatedly.

But it is very random and spork-based to drive hi-larious cars around long-rear end circuits in the rain and wet and hahah the headlights don't work after everyone crashed on turn 1 again, because if there's one thing Forza needs it's more ways to make all the completely terrible drivers that play it crash more.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If weekly leagues end up with weather turned off because of crybabies I'll have to give them something to cry about :xd:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Thief posted:

i'm not gonna be on the top10 global leaderboard for a lap time but i can beat ppl near me on the track sometimes and driving in the rain makes that way more exciting than racing myself every single time over and over and over again for a fraction of a second difference

it's fun to do both tbh but rain in a multiplayer race seems like it would only make things better. basically anything you can do to make the cars easier to crash and drivers improvise is probably a good idea even if its like a loving seagull in the road or some bullshit lol

not just this, but if they were to give us rain and intermediate tires it'd add a new layer of strategy, which to me is the real value in dynamic weather. if they don't add tire options it sorta defeats the point imo.

as a side note one of my best memories in forza 6 was when i was in a hopper lobby with a choice of brands hatch and a poo poo track, and instead of choosing the Correct Option of brands hatch they all voted random and we got nordschleife rain. 4 people finished including me. that's what ya get, fuckers.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 30, 2017

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

financially racist posted:

not just this, but if they were to give us rain and intermediate tires it'd add a new layer of strategy, which to me is the real value in dynamic weather. if they don't add tire options it sorta defeats the point imo.

as a side note one of my best memories in forza 6 was when i was in a hopper lobby with a choice of brands hatch and a poo poo track, and instead of choosing the Correct Option of brands hatch they all voted random and we got nordschleife rain. 4 people finished including me. that's what ya get, fuckers.

I think if there was tyre strategy, it would be HUGE news for T10. It would also need more than 3-4 lap sprints to be effective. Mandatory pit stops on 3-lap races is loving idiotic.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Are cars still strictly in one class? It always seemed ko d of arbitrary and a lot of the cars could qualify for multiple disciplines.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Ether Frenzy posted:

Racing in the dark is in fact terrible and unfun, a fact that any real life endurance racer will tell you openly and repeatedly.

i doubt it has anything to do with the fact they might die irl if they crash and wait for the costly and time consuming damages to be fixed if they survive

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ShineDog posted:

Are cars still strictly in one class? It always seemed ko d of arbitrary and a lot of the cars could qualify for multiple disciplines.

No, which is why you have a 1960ish Ferrari with 1000HP running ~3:20 around Le Mans in A class

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I got into Forza Horizon 3 late, only awhile ago, and I'm tearing it up and loving it. (Didn't realize it was on PC!)

But holy gently caress is it annoying when you're trying to do a drift sector and traffic slams into you right at the end of a perfect run and pushes you backwards, invalidating your whole score.

Sometimes you're almost done and some drivatar AI dick will even drive on the wrong side of the road to slam head-first into you. Not much you can do about that.

And rewinding time is super buggy when it comes to drift sectors. Most of the time it doesn't do it right and you just have to start the whole attempt over.

harperdc posted:

PCars 1 had various slick compounds and "wets" if memory serves, and setups could go to "automatic by weather" to choose the compound. Can't remember how changing compounds was implemented in races, but few games have done it as well as the Codie F1 games, between the setup page and the on-track radio choice menu.

Ah yeah that's true, pcars does have compounds. But its all set to "automatic by weather" by default so it doesn't feel like something that's easy to gently caress with. Like trying to pick it manually is more of a pain than just leaving it automatic, even if you know exactly which compound you want. We'll see how pcars 2 does it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i think people figured out how to get rid of traffic when going for records by cheesing the gamemodes or whatever but you can still 3 star those zones pretty consistently once you get used to it

of course it can get annoying sometimes when you're being super serious but stuff like that is why i'm not too worried about changing weather since it tends to be fun more often than not

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

geeves posted:

I think if there was tyre strategy, it would be HUGE news for T10. It would also need more than 3-4 lap sprints to be effective. Mandatory pit stops on 3-lap races is loving idiotic.

in codemasters' f1 games they don't allow dynamic weather in shorter races, i'd hope the same was true in forza. i'd also hope that they did the thing where it COULD rain but also maybe it doesn't and such rather than dynamic weather meaning 'it will always start raining halfway through the race'.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

I got into Forza Horizon 3 late, only awhile ago, and I'm tearing it up and loving it. (Didn't realize it was on PC!)

But holy gently caress is it annoying when you're trying to do a drift sector and traffic slams into you right at the end of a perfect run and pushes you backwards, invalidating your whole score.

Sometimes you're almost done and some drivatar AI dick will even drive on the wrong side of the road to slam head-first into you. Not much you can do about that.

And rewinding time is super buggy when it comes to drift sectors. Most of the time it doesn't do it right and you just have to start the whole attempt over.

Glad someone else is still playing this too. I still have a shitload of events I haven't raced yet and I haven't even really touched online because half the time real life decides to interrupt inopportunely such as when I'm four laps deep in a six lap Goliath with my ridiculous 1000hp Ford Mustang Boss 302.

I feel you on the drift zones, I loving hate when I've finally nailed a decent string of transitions and got sideways without overcommitting :argh: only for some loving bogan housewife in a minivan driving her little bastard to footie practice to clip me and cost me my points. :argh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ShineDog posted:

I don't get what you mean. Any car can be upgraded into higher classes. Some cars can even be "upgraded" so they end up in the lower class.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cojawfee posted:

I don't get what you mean. Any car can be upgraded into higher classes. Some cars can even be "upgraded" so they end up in the lower class.

maybe his only other forza experience is forza 6 apex :shrug:

e: oh wait maybe he means car style, ie hot hatch, grand tourer, etc., and not pi class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hexenritter posted:

Glad someone else is still playing this too. I still have a shitload of events I haven't raced yet and I haven't even really touched online because half the time real life decides to interrupt inopportunely such as when I'm four laps deep in a six lap Goliath with my ridiculous 1000hp Ford Mustang Boss 302.

I feel you on the drift zones, I loving hate when I've finally nailed a decent string of transitions and got sideways without overcommitting :argh: only for some loving bogan housewife in a minivan driving her little bastard to footie practice to clip me and cost me my points. :argh:

I mean otherwise I love having the traffic around as an obstacle, and you can turn it off for certain events, but man you'd think if there was some crazy racing festival come to town and they specifically marked out areas of the road for 1337 tokyo driftu skillz, you'd think that other normal traffic would avoid that area and drive around it!

• Locked thread