Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I hope there's a late-80s VW Golf in the game again. The one I used to drive as a teenager was the first and only car I've owned, and when they included it (albeit a sportier GTI instead of the grandpa model that I had) in Forza 3/4 I was loving ecstatic.

I generally love driving old lovely cars in racing games, but it's even better when they have one I've owned or at least something close to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cubey posted:

Forza now has none of the made-up tracks that were in the first game and that's a bummer.
Alpine Ring was great, it was like the Red Bull Ring but better. Never cared much for Blue Mountain, although that is probably due to the fact I had to attempt that one loving Viper vs. Corvette race a million times. Maple Valley was the best, of course.

Also, I just read that "Players will be able to choose between the existing drivatar algorithm, which resulted in occasionally unpredictable behavior, or one that features more consistent drivers", which is the best news ever. I was playing Forza 5 last night and cussing at the drivatars who would chop in front of me, brake in the middle of straights or just simply ram me off the road. No wonder Forza 5 no longer has you pay the repair bills, you'd be spending half your winnings after each race.

edit: drivatars at Long Beach oh my loving god :gonk:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Just saw the commercial as well. Whoever decided to pair Forza Motorsport with Electric Six deserves a raise, because Electric Six makes everything better.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I dont know, and possibly have never heard, another song that electric six did.
Well yeah, most people only know Danger! High Voltage, Gay Bar and possibly Dance Commander (the singles from the first album, basically), and even then they might not realize those songs are by the same band. Electric Six kinda fell off the map after 2003, but they're still doing their thing and have released albums almost every year since then.

I've used their songs on my custom soundtracks since Forza 1 on the original xbox.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Just how lovely is the Bugatti Circuit?

Well, when Papyrus was making Grand Prix Legends back in 1998, they obviously wanted to make an authentic simulation of the 1967 F1 season, which would have meant having the French GP at Bugatti. Papyrus went "gently caress that poo poo" and included Rouen-Les-Essarts (the venue for the 1968 race and an infinitely better track) instead because they knew no one would enjoy driving the Bugatti Circuit.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

L_Harrison posted:

And scrubs vote for Yas Marina all the time. Why won't they learn? It's a bad track you idiots!
F1 runs the last race of the season there, so it must be a good track! :downs:

Anyhow, I finally got around to buying FM6. Probably won't be able to participate in multiplayer because of EU time zones and also because I tend to drive like Pastor Maldonado (not on purpose, I'm just bad), but my info is on the spreadsheet if you want my drivatar to show up in your races and ram you off the road.

I do wish I had a wheel that works on Xbox, but right now I'm too broke to even consider buying another goddamn racing wheel. :reject:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I don't remember if I've driven Yas Marina in an F1 car in Forza, but I did in one of the Codemasters F1 games and it was still absolute rubbish. To be fair, that description also fits the F1 games in general, but I actually enjoyed driving the likes of Bahrain, Singapore and even Korea whereas Abu Dhabi was just awful.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cubey posted:

The only positive is that we've at least been spared Tilke's two worst tracks - Yeongam and Valencia. They are really, truly abysmal to drive in every way, but thankfully they're almost certainly never going to be in Forza.
I thought Yeongam was okay in F1 2010 :saddowns:

But yeah, those tracks won't be showing up in anything now that F1 has abandoned them. I think the Yeongam track is sinking into a swamp or something by now, so that was a good use of all that money (Bernie got paid, at least, and that's the most important thing). We got one fun trainwreck race and another one where a truck was briefly leading the field, but that's about it. Still better than the Indian GP, I can't even remember anything about those races other than the heavy smog and Vettel winning by a country mile every time.

As for the current Hockenheim, I've never cared for it. It's objectively better for racing and spectating than the old layout with its long-rear end straights through the forest, but the track lost all its personality when Tilke cut it up. A similar thing happened with the A1-Ring/Red Bull Ring which used to be the super fast (and dangerous) Österreichring, but the Red Bull Ring is still a fun track. Alpine Ring in Forza 1 was kind of a mix between the two, and it's still one of my favorite lost Forza tracks.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Speaking of the Österreichring/Red Bull Ring, here is the F1 field of 1987 doing their best impression of Forza pubbies (although in this case the pileup happened mainly because of technical problems in the front row):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRPCxUjnHzc

The good stuff starts around 7:40 into the video. There are some shenanigans earlier (about 5:20 in) and they have to restart the race, and then Nigel Mansell's clutch immediately fails. The start of the Austrian GP has always been a tricky spot and seen many pileups over the years, and the last thing you need there is a slow car at the front.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

this loving jaguar I swear to god :argh:

It looks great, especially with a livery such as that one, but this is probably the worst car I've driven in Forza since the comically overpowered and entirely uncontrollable BMW 2002 I made for laughs back in Forza 4. In fast corners it handles like a battleship and you have to brake and turn about three weeks earlier than most cars, and in slow corners you'll instantly lose the rear on the exit unless you're in 4th gear. I eventually managed to win a race with it once I sort of learned its behavior, but I don't think I'll drive it again.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

WienerDog posted:

Which one is it? I think there's two modern Jags and they are both pretty terrible stock. One of them I built or downloaded a good tune (I can't remember) but I think it bumped it up a class.
I will check and share or post the creator.
That particular championship only allows cars with a PI of 660 and the stock F-Type is a 640, so there's only so much that can be done right now. I tried the stock version at first, and it was comically awful so I got one of the tunes that made the handling slightly better while keeping it at 660.

The only reason I even have that particular Jaguar is that I got it for free from a spin or as a loyalty reward. I was too cheap to buy a new car for the championship series, so it was either this or one of the other eligible cars I had. I knew the others would be terrible, so I tried this one and it turned out to be even worse. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The GT350 is apparently a VIP car. Might be available as regular DLC, I haven't checked, but in any case I'd have to pay real money for it because I only have the vanilla game and the 10th anniversary DLC that was included with it. Mustangs and I don't really get along anyway.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

As much as the drivatars tend to piss me off during most races, sometimes they manage to pull off something pretty cool such as this three-wide moment at Daytona:

#007 Aston Martin on the outside is me, BMW in the middle is a backmarker and the Maserati is a goon drivatar (BadLeRo). This was the second to last lap and I thought I had the race in the bag, but as I went to lap the BMW I just saw the Maserati absolutely blast past both of us (obviously getting a pretty good draft from the BMW) and went :staredog: because I had a comfortable lead the last time I checked. Had to settle for second because there was no way I could catch up, but I wasn't even mad because that was pretty drat cool. At first I kinda called shenanigans when the Maserati seemingly came out of nowhere as if someone turned on rubber band AI, but when I checked the replay and the telemetry I found out the Maserati simply was much faster than my Aston (50 kph faster than my max speed) and would've disappeared into the distance far earlier if it hadn't gotten stuck behind a Lamborghini for the first eight laps. Good stuff and nice clean racing, I wish more of my single player events were like this instead of a re-enactment of Death Race 2000.

I really should get around to racing with decent folks (or at least the people from this thread :v:) online, so I can get this kind of thing done to me by real people instead of drivatars. Except I wouldn't be anywhere near the lead in those races, but still!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Sometimes you don't even need to wait until the first corner for crashes!

These two AI drivers managed to wreck themselves before they even reached the start line. The one in front decided to cut right into the other's path at the start, and both ended up in the pit wall. Pro-level AI at work! :downs:

The Formula Ford showcase was pretty fun in general, as these cars are a bit... temperamental. I had far less trouble controlling the 70s Lotus F1 than this thing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Well, that's just fantastic. I thought something was wonky with Horizon 2 when I suddenly wasn't able to browse tunes for some of my cars without the game locking up, but at least I didn't lose my save (yet).

I also picked up Horizon 1, which for some reason I never played when it came out. It still looks great for a 360 game and is pretty fun despite the somewhat dumbed-down handling and physics, but I'd like it a lot more if most of the Horizon races took place on the actual roads instead of these really lovely and claustrophobic Mickey Mouse "tracks" built in someone's backyard. Also, I never thought I'd say this, but I miss the drivatars.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, I'm actually quite far into the career (doing the golden wristband races now) and there have been some point-to-point races which I rather enjoyed, but a lot of the stuff I have left is basically "Circuit Race #58, now with overpowered cars and 300% more 90-degree corners" and I really don't feel like slogging through that. There have been some decent circuit races here and there, but I really don't understand why this game has such an obsession with driving through narrow corridors lined with cinderblocks when it has a perfectly good open world to be used for races.

As for DLC, yeah, this is an older game and I doubt I'll be returning to it anytime soon once I'm done with the career, so I'm not spending any cash on DLC stuff. I actually haven't bought any Forza DLC since FM4.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Endurance racing? Cool, I can be Vadim Kogay.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

:stonkhat: I'll just... go over there now.

(Seriously though, the Formula Fords are hilarious)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Endbuster posted:

Man, GT2 soundtrack is forever burned into my skull.

This fuckin' song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT-r0l7UTN0

And this one especially, it was my favorite track. Little kid me would sing this non-stop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9MEUljYnEc
I'm still unreasonably annoyed by the fact the US versions of the Gran Turismo games had better soundtracks than what we got in Europe. :reject: We just got a bunch of generic bullshit when you had the likes of Stone Temple Pilots, Judas Priest, The Cult and Snoop fuckin' Dogg. It ain't fair, I tell you. At least they stopped that kind of thing with GT4, which had the same soundtrack between the western releases. By that point I had moved on to Forza though, so it didn't really matter.

I played the poo poo out of Forza 1. Loved Alpine Ring, Tokyo and the Rio track (which was very different to the one we have in Forza 6 now), hated Blue Mountain because I wasn't any good on that track (Viper vs. Corvette event :argh:). The Junkie XL instrumentals of classic rock songs like Iron Man and Frankenstein are still burned into my brain, even though I mainly used my custom soundtracks while playing. Forza 2 was such a massive disappointment, as the graphics and gameplay weren't really any better and they replaced all the cool tracks with the snake ones. :geno:

• Locked thread