Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Turn your monitor on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

apropos to nothing posted:

why did they decide video games come out on tuesdays? what were they thinking?!

Saturday and Sunday are sports days. Friday is for new movies and would be a too obvious day to take off (which makes Monday out too). Wednesday is a good drinking night. That leaves Tuesday and Thursday. Tuesday is the slightly less obvious day to take off.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Look Sir Droids posted:

Saturday and Sunday are sports days. Friday is for new movies and would be a too obvious day to take off (which makes Monday out too). Wednesday is a good drinking night. That leaves Tuesday and Thursday. Tuesday is the slightly less obvious day to take off.

I think it has something to do with shipping and stocking, since books and DVDs and stuff usually come out on Tuesdays too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's all holdovers from old distribution schedules, but like 2 months ago CDs moved from Tuesday to Friday. I think eventually everything will just be Friday

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

In Training posted:

It's all holdovers from old distribution schedules, but like 2 months ago CDs moved from Tuesday to Friday. I think eventually everything will just be Friday

Mario Maker is ahead of the curve.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Sorry for ruining your thread, op.

I don't know why Thursdays are the video game release day, but having everything release on the same day sounds like an eventual logistical nightmare. It'll sooner be all digital or dropped off by Amazon drones.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Soral posted:

i don't loving give a poo poo what some retard who works at polygon thinks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Mario Maker is ahead of the curve.

Most Nintendo games are Friday releases because they understand gamers.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Tuesday, after the god Tiw, who is also an amputee and has a ferocious dogge.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

Sorry for ruining your thread, op.

I don't know why Thursdays are the video game release day, but having everything release on the same day sounds like an eventual logistical nightmare. It'll sooner be all digital or dropped off by Amazon drones.

games launch on Tuesday so the dev team has the rest of the week to put out fires. you don't want to drag people in over the weekend for an emergency patch.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In Training posted:

Turn your monitor on.

I'm in line at Gyro King.. wtf are you talking about mate.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Gyro King? Sir this is a mcdonald drive thru.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

turnways posted:

games launch on Tuesday so the dev team has the rest of the week to put out fires. you don't want to drag people in over the weekend for an emergency patch.

Hmmm, I can believe this.

Big shout out to all the PC players out there. I'm sorry you don't get a real early release, but at least it's not still releasing on the 15th.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
I want to play Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

zen death robot posted:

Your selfie cam is on again

Selfie cam?? Alright, Dad, I'll turn it off.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hmmm, I can believe this.

Big shout out to all the PC players out there. I'm sorry you don't get a real early release, but at least it's not still releasing on the 15th.

surprise, twitter is terrible at allowing someone to make a clear point:

https://twitter.com/popcicle/status/637293494889897984

so we can nab it 12AM 9/1 NZ time, or 8AM EST 8/31

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

net cafe scandal posted:

I'm in line at Gyro King.. wtf are you talking about mate.

What you gettin?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Download, but probably not play, I reckon.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Proud Rat Mom posted:

What you gettin?

I got lamb and rice with vegetables.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I like that there are at least 5 active threads for MGSV across the forums, including 3 in Games alone. Could use a few more tbh. What's the Pet Island take on this zoo strut business.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Download, but probably not play, I reckon.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

turnways posted:

surprise, twitter is terrible at allowing someone to make a clear point:

https://twitter.com/popcicle/status/637293494889897984

so we can nab it 12AM 9/1 NZ time, or 8AM EST 8/31

I have no problem with that.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

phew

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

i'm the A OLD MARIO TWEET

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Emotional rollercoaster

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Oh nice.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I wish there were more tapes of Cecile explaining philosophical works to Snake.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hope nuuvem follows this too

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Is that if you are in New Zealand or anyone who pre-ordered just gets the game unlocked at that time?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Just watched The Wild Geese, a British action movie from the 70s about a bunch of old guys with cool hats who shoot lots of Africans: my favorite parts are the scene where a racist South African and the black president of the African country become best friends after talking for a couple of minutes, and the scene where Roger Moore forces a man to eat a bag of heroin and die. I'm bringing this up here because Kojima's a fan of the movie, to the point of making Big Boss a former member of the group.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
Can you start the game on the hard difficulty? I wanna play the game like big boss intended

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Pwnstar posted:

Is that if you are in New Zealand or anyone who pre-ordered just gets the game unlocked at that time?

he keeps not mentioning NZ only and wondering why everybody is confused, he's either really thick or it's literally "12am NZ time you can play it"

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Kind of weird that pre-ordering lets you play early, but still good news. Does anyone know if the Nvidia keys count as pre-orders?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Kind of weird that pre-ordering lets you play early, but still good news. Does anyone know if the Nvidia keys count as pre-orders?

well , theres no point preordering a game otherwise.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

I have a 1 foot blow up Teddie ball for preordering a game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I had forgotten that Kaz (end of Peace Walker spoilers) was working with Cipher the whole time. As business partners, not as an agent, but still. It really colors his character in Ground Zeroes and TPP, but I guess he pays his price.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I.N.R.I posted:

I always assumed people did it to get in-game bonuses and to pre-load the game so they can play right away at launch. I didn't realize there were two completely different launch times. This is the first game I've pre-ordered in like 10 years, though.

I just hope the Nvidia keys count towards the earlier release time, because the terrible Gamestop nearby isn't doing a midnight release for some dumb reason, and I am counting on my PC double-dip to avoid wasting one of my off days. We shall see, I guess!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If you are looking for sometime to take your mind off waiting and don't have plans for the weekend, go read Moby Dick.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Pwnstar posted:

If you are looking for sometime to take your mind off waiting and don't have plans for the weekend, go read Moby Dick.

I've already read it twice because I made poor decisions in college.

I mean I won't die or anything if I have to wait an entire extra day to play TPP, but this entire month has felt like the day before Christmas and I fear my fragile psyche cannot take much more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I had a busy August but that's all done as of today, so now I have nothing to do but shut my eyes and fantasize about pressing square to immediately dive into the dirt and out of view of a soldier, in various situations and camera angles.

• Locked thread