Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

By popular demand, this is a midyear checkpoint for the Gay Abortions Awards. There are twelve categories, including a prize for the Worst Cartoon. Because of the smaller size of this event, consider it early nominations for the end-of-year Awards.

The Process
Anyone who wishes to submit cartoons has until 23:59 EST on July 4 to post their nominees. For each category, post a single cartoon published this year. A post does not require a nominee for each category. Every poster is allowed one post in this thread and one in the end-of-year thread in which they nominate submissions for worst cartoons of the year. If you'd like to add to or change your nominees, please edit that post before 23:59 EST on July 4.

Voting will happen

The Judges
I am your tyrannical judge, and I could use a couple volunteers to help run this and count votes at the end of the year. The judges may agree to veto any submission, or trim a list if there are too many nominees. Please ask if you have questions about the Gay Abortions Awards or any part of the nomination and voting processes.

What To Do
Please don't quote all 12 images from a nomination post unless you intend to discuss all twelve.
For discussions about current politics not related to the Awards, please take it to the regular Political Cartoons Thread.
Post political cartoons of at least some prominence. Any thread regular or syndicated cartoonist is fine, pulling cartoons from a nobody's DeviantArt account is not.

The Categories
There are new topical awards, as always. Here are The Award Categories:

Worst Middle East cartoon
Worst cheerleading for Putin cartoon
Worst cartoon about Charlie Hebdo
Worst transphobia
Worst cartoon about a tragedy
Worst caricature
Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon
Worst label
Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon
Laziest cartoon
Most easily reinterpreted
Overall worst political cartoon

Best Edit/Parody
Best Kelly

Note: Caricatures of Obama by Ramirez or Liccar, and caricatures of Holder by Ramirez, are not eligible for Worst Caricature. A completely blank cartoon by Gorrell is not eligible for Laziest Cartoon.

2012 Gay Abortions Awards
2013 Gay Abortions Awards
2014 Gay Abortions Awards

Chamale fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Worst label

Laziest cartoon

I like to lurk and save the worst of the worst but alas I don't have cartoons for every category!

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I'll add more if I find them.

Worst transphobia

Worst caricature

Worst label

Laziest cartoon

Best Edit/Parody

Best Kelly

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Worst caricature

Worst label

Best Edit/Parody

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

There really were not many pro-Putin cartoons this year at all.

I've got a feeling that Rall is going to win, but when this cartoon came out somebody said that it's the most aggressively American response you could possibly have to it, so I'm picking it as the worst.

Worst transphobia

Worst caricature

Worst label

Laziest cartoon

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I don't know about the other categories right now but for best edit, the only correct choice is Rorus Raz's "The Cartoonist Has No Idea How Net Neutrality Works" series.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

(could also qualify as a Charlie Hebdo cartoon since that's what he drew it for, but there's nothing about it in the cartoon itself, the idiot)

Worst transphobia

Worst caricature

Worst label

Laziest cartoon (gently caress the police)

Best Edit/Parody

Best Kelly

Hitler B. Natural fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 6, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Nominees:

God this was a hard category. The cartoon has an extra "don't" that Ramirez didn't even bother to catch, it looks like complete loving rear end, it's completely wrong, you can't even tell what it's supposed to be in black and white, you can barely see Obama and the other dude, Ramirez did napkin scribbling to make it, and it looks like complete loving rear end.

Worst cheerleading for Putin Bibi cartoon

I couldn't find a nice "Putin strong manly man, Obama wimpy weak and stick-armed wimp" cartoon, so here's one with the same sentiment about Obama and Bibi.

That's the French flag splattered with blood, as a reminder.

Worst transphobia

Transphobia and all of the week's talking points in one cartoon!

Nine black people were killed in a church by a white supremacist terrorist, and Glenn goes straight to "Race Hustler". Die in a fire Glenn.

Worst caricature

Since Hillary of Horror is already nominated, have terrible Debbie Wasserman Schultz caricature that's dripping with misogyny.

This one hurts looking back at it, given that it was from February.

Worst label

In addition to "In case of live baby, break glass" Glenn had to fill a newspaper with text to make the cartoon work. That's almost Gosse levels of labeling.

Die again in a fire Glenn.

Laziest cartoon

No this isn't a repeat nomination, Ramirez has done two copy-pasted Obama cartoons in only 6 months.

Ramirez's caricature is unrecognizable as Obama, AGC.

ISIL put Muath Safi Yousef al-Kasasbeh in a cage, beat him, doused him with gasoline, and burned him alive as they filmed it. Ramirez chose to take this horrifying tragedy and use it as a chance to take a potshot at Obama taking a selfie. Please die a worse death than Muath Safi Yousef al-Kasasbeh did, thanks Ramirez.

Best Edit/Parody
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691509&pagenumber=269&perpage=40#post442165505
Rorus Raz's series of "The cartoonist has no idea how Net Neutrality works."

Best Kelly

:allears:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 26, 2015

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Christ so much awful poo poo has happened this year, and we're only halfway done!

Gonna need some time to sort through the poo poo.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Still in flux, pending further review. Might add a few nominations for other categories.

Chamale posted:

A completely blank cartoon by Gorrell is not eligible for Laziest Cartoon.

Man, and he went to all that effort to get one out early this year!

Oh, well. I'd nominate another Gorrell, but this one from Kirschen takes the cake:

Laziest cartoon

Yes, that is literally a piece of tape which Kirschen wrote ISIS over.

Worst label

To be honest, Gosse gets nominated, but there are usually worse labels.

You can even choose which tragedy it's referring to!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/dVBn5RX.jpg[[/img]

:siren: A Shoney's closed down! :siren:

Best Edit/Parody

Yeah, "This Artist Doesn't Understand How Net Neutrality Works" will win, but I gotta give it up for my man Mister Beeg.

Was going to go with Ramirez, but why go with Ramirez when you can go with 7oden?

Worst Caricature

Oh, and I just want to throw out this Honorable Mention for ComradeCosmobot's "I have no idea what is going on here" award

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 2, 2015

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I haven't seen it yet, so I'm nominating:

Best Edit/Parody

I know you said no Gorrell, but how about this one?

Laziest Cartoon

Worst Label

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 28, 2015

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Worst transphobia

Worst caricature

Worst label

The labels only detract from the powerful images.

Laziest cartoon

Just an incomprehensible mess.

Best Edit/Parody

Best Kelly

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

If Global Warming Is Real, Why Are Snow Exist? should be it's own category at this point

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not going to call it a bust, but man, this this thread has gotten zero attention compared to the other ones.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Wanamingo posted:

I'm not going to call it a bust, but man, this this thread has gotten zero attention compared to the other ones.

It is six months premature.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

If Global Warming Is Real, Why Are Snow Exist? should be it's own category at this point

To be fair, the global warming cartoons come out in the winter when people see snowflakes and declare climate change a myth because they're a little chilly.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sizone posted:

It is six months premature.
The problem is that the yearly one has everything from the last six or so months getting all the nominations. By December I feel like the only issue people might remember prior to June is Charlie Hebdo. Charleston, Baltimore, Caitlyn Jenner, and so forth would be long forgotten with whatever major news story crop up in the fall and late summer.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rorus Raz posted:

The problem is that the yearly one has everything from the last six or so months getting all the nominations. By December I feel like the only issue people might remember prior to June is Charlie Hebdo. Charleston, Baltimore, Caitlyn Jenner, and so forth would be long forgotten with whatever major news story crop up in the fall and late summer.

Yeah. I think this'll do a decent job preventing the early stuff from being neglected, and the big one at the end of the year will get all the attention. One mid-year checkpoint is probably fine, we don't need it to be quarterly.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I stopped reading the PoliToon thread because it was too much to keep up with. This nicely condensed version will be great for my blood pressure. I hope to set a new record!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Chamale posted:

Yeah. I think this'll do a decent job preventing the early stuff from being neglected, and the big one at the end of the year will get all the attention. One mid-year checkpoint is probably fine, we don't need it to be quarterly.
It would be fine if we had more then a handful of people nominating cartoons.

I still think it should be just once a year but take my opinion with a grain a salt and all that.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Rorus Raz posted:

No disagreement here. I remember a few years back how even the Boston Marathon bombing was more or less forgotten, washed away beneath an ocean of twerking cartoons, by the time December rolled around. I was just pointing out why thread participation is lower than it is for the end of the year thing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
KAL usually has decent cartoons, but I'm nominating this week's for both A Thing Happened and Labels:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc

Captain_Maclaine posted:

[b]Best Edit/Parody

This is incredible.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

How about instead of doing a vote, we'll just nominate all these at the end of the year? Keeps it to only one big vote, but also prevents cartoons from this part of the year from being totally forgotten.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Aww geez, I didn't know we were doing gay abortions already. Here's some last minute nominations :sweatdrop:

Worst transphobia

Worst caricature

Worst label

Laziest cartoon

Best Kelly

Koishi Komeiji fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 4, 2015

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Chamale posted:

How about instead of doing a vote, we'll just nominate all these at the end of the year? Keeps it to only one big vote, but also prevents cartoons from this part of the year from being totally forgotten.

This is a good idea, but could you also extend the nomination deadline one or two more days please?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Koishi Komeiji posted:

This is a good idea, but could you also extend the nomination deadline one or two more days please?

Yeah, I'll extend it until the end of July 4th. Without the vote, there's no particular reason for a deadline really, but we also don't need the thread to linger forever.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Worst label

I need to start saving nominations as I read the thread. Going back through pages of cartoons now would make me want to kill myself.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

CampingCarl posted:

I need to start saving nominations as I read the thread. Going back through pages of cartoons now would make me want to kill myself.

This is why I haven't voted

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Best Kelly

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Captain_Maclaine posted:

[b]Best Edit/Parody

I was double-checking my bookmarks, and just found that I'd also bookmarked this as a candidate Best Edit nominee :allears:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I feel like we need at least one Yaakov nominee in this category.

n/a

gently caress off

Worst transphobia

It's maybe not strictly transphobic, but it's close enough and I needed to nominate this incredibly smug turd from Rall somewhere.

In memoriam of those killed in the GermanWings crash, here's some rejected Megadeth album art.

Worst caricature

Ramirez turns John Boehner into some kind of melting wax thing.

I mean, I don't hate it or anything but it really is just "a thing happened"

Worst label

:fork: NOBOEHNER :fork:

I know I'm breaking the rules by nominating two but I really couldn't decide between these two and neither was mentioned yet. Branco is such a huge piece of trash.

Laziest cartoon

Catalino submitted these on back-to-back days.

Correct! Let's move on.

Lots of deserving candidates, but Gary takes it by a nose.

Best Edit/Parody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVxlAKHus8
This thing from A Conical Hat is just really funny to me for some reason.

Best Kelly
n/a

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm glad we can agree that this is the best cartoon of 2015 thus far

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Worst caricature

Worst label

Best Edit/Parody

Best Kelly

swampland fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 3, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Worst Middle East Cartoon

Worst Transphobia

Worst caricature

This is like searching for the perfect piece of hay in a haystack.

Worst label

Best Edit/Parody

Best Kelly

Overall Worst Political Cartoon
http://firstdogonthemoon.com.au/

Splode fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 3, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

swampland posted:

This one made me lose it a little bit, coming from a paid loving energy shill.

I hope he at least has the self-awareness to know he's a hack.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Voyager I posted:

This one made me lose it a little bit, coming from a paid loving energy shill.

I hope he at least has the self-awareness to know he's a hack.

He doesn't even have the awareness to draw human beings, so

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
Worst Caricature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Random question - Gay_abortions.jpg is a parody, right? I mean, it clearly has to be, but the fact that we have honorarily named the awards after them makes me think that it is 100% unironic, which would be beautiful.

• Locked thread