Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

By popular demand, this is a midyear checkpoint for the Gay Abortions Awards. There are twelve categories, including a prize for the Worst Cartoon. Because of the smaller size of this event, consider it early nominations for the end-of-year Awards.

The Process
Anyone who wishes to submit cartoons has until 23:59 EST on July 4 to post their nominees. For each category, post a single cartoon published this year. A post does not require a nominee for each category. Every poster is allowed one post in this thread and one in the end-of-year thread in which they nominate submissions for worst cartoons of the year. If you'd like to add to or change your nominees, please edit that post before 23:59 EST on July 4.

Voting will happen

The Judges
I am your tyrannical judge, and I could use a couple volunteers to help run this and count votes at the end of the year. The judges may agree to veto any submission, or trim a list if there are too many nominees. Please ask if you have questions about the Gay Abortions Awards or any part of the nomination and voting processes.

What To Do
Please don't quote all 12 images from a nomination post unless you intend to discuss all twelve.
For discussions about current politics not related to the Awards, please take it to the regular Political Cartoons Thread.
Post political cartoons of at least some prominence. Any thread regular or syndicated cartoonist is fine, pulling cartoons from a nobody's DeviantArt account is not.

The Categories
There are new topical awards, as always. Here are The Award Categories:

Worst Middle East cartoon
Worst cheerleading for Putin cartoon
Worst cartoon about Charlie Hebdo
Worst transphobia
Worst cartoon about a tragedy
Worst caricature
Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon
Worst label
Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon
Laziest cartoon
Most easily reinterpreted
Overall worst political cartoon

Best Edit/Parody
Best Kelly

Note: Caricatures of Obama by Ramirez or Liccar, and caricatures of Holder by Ramirez, are not eligible for Worst Caricature. A completely blank cartoon by Gorrell is not eligible for Laziest Cartoon.

2012 Gay Abortions Awards
2013 Gay Abortions Awards
2014 Gay Abortions Awards

Chamale fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rorus Raz posted:

The problem is that the yearly one has everything from the last six or so months getting all the nominations. By December I feel like the only issue people might remember prior to June is Charlie Hebdo. Charleston, Baltimore, Caitlyn Jenner, and so forth would be long forgotten with whatever major news story crop up in the fall and late summer.

Yeah. I think this'll do a decent job preventing the early stuff from being neglected, and the big one at the end of the year will get all the attention. One mid-year checkpoint is probably fine, we don't need it to be quarterly.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

How about instead of doing a vote, we'll just nominate all these at the end of the year? Keeps it to only one big vote, but also prevents cartoons from this part of the year from being totally forgotten.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Koishi Komeiji posted:

This is a good idea, but could you also extend the nomination deadline one or two more days please?

Yeah, I'll extend it until the end of July 4th. Without the vote, there's no particular reason for a deadline really, but we also don't need the thread to linger forever.

• Locked thread