Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

BadOptics posted:

How many times is the right to hold slaves guaranteed the US Constitution? Not that it wasn't a slave state, but the US wasn't created for the explicit reason of holding slaves. The CSA was and they made that very clear in the CSA Constitution.

Once, the 3/5ths portion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

BadOptics posted:

The 3/5th compromise was answering the question that if your state allows slavery, how will they be counted towards your # of representatives; not that it was guaranteed that you could hold slaves.

Putting in a system that gives greater representation to areas that own slaves is effectively not only condoning slavery, but empowering it. Slavery was inherently constitutional as a result. I think the Confederate flag is inherently racists, but don't pretend the Constitution is a shining beacon of liberty when it expressly empowered CDs that had slaves.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

The slave-holding states wanted their slaves to be counted as whole persons, so that they would have more control of the government via more seats and more electoral votes.

The free states wanted slaves to not be counted at all.

In the end, they decided to compromise.

By compromising they made it constitutional and empowered slave holding districts. They not only expressly approved but also built it into the bones of the country, there is no way around that truth.

Clearly the confederacy is worse, but the founders had little issue with legalized slavery.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

oldswitcheroo posted:

The US flag is the flag of a major modern extant industrialized nation with many flaws and historical achievements, whereas the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia/ Confederate Naval Jack is the banner of a slaver's revolt. These two things are only similar in that they are lengths of cloth that contain the colors red, white, and blue.

While I agree with what you say, the deification of the founders is a more widespread and pronounced issue than the deification of the confederacy.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's dumb as hell but it isn't particularly harmful or worth doing anything about, since the end effect is just people cherry-picking vague quotes to make Franklin and Washington agree with whatever dumb modern opinions they have and the founders stand for really nothing in the public psyche beyond FREEDOM. Folks tend to elide the whole 3/5 compromise slaveholdy bits of Revolutionary history completely unless they're explicitly trying to discredit the founders, not use them to claim that's a core national value

Nobody's lynching English symps or tipping shipping crates full of tea into the harbor in 2015. People are still attacking black people and campaigning for the dissolution of the republic for the Confederacy.

Just to be clear, you are claiming confederate nationalism is more responsible for deaths in 2015 than American nationalism? I feel like I'm misunderstanding you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

like I feel like for everyone else this is a thread about marginalizing a hate group that's subsisted for generations on its iconography and mythos going unchallenged outside liberal enclaves, and you really want it to be about Bree Newsome stepping on your balls and calling you a naughty American imperialist instead. Nobody's going to stop trying to bomb the Middle East into becoming the Rotary Club of Cleveland because there's not a picture of George Washington on the quarter anymore, those guys actually tend to find the Constitution worship poo poo an annoying impediment to be worked around, but kids might not shoot up a black church if everyone around them isn't telling them it was when the darkies got rights that everything really started going to hell

Fair enough, I muddied the waters by talking about the founders specifically. I should have been more general and addressed nationalism.

• Locked thread