Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

RSIxidor posted:

I rather like the Gallant by Timothy Schroeder. He's also done a few interesting ones, Summoner, Arcane Duelist, Cursed Knight, all on DTPRG.
We actually found the Gallant to be a little overpowered in play. Maybe I was being too lenient, but Impassioned Speech seems to lean a little too far towards success. 10+ means you get what you want and people sing your praises, and the partial hit basically throws a soft move at the GM rather than the player. And as long as the person they're using it on isn't a bad guy, I generally had a hard time justifying not going along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Noelor posted:

I'm not really sold on how DW handles bonds, though - they feel a bit weird, especially the way they get consumed at the end of the session to gain xp. Gaining bonds also seems completely unregulated. Am I missing something?
As was mentioned, by the rules they replenish themselves when they get used up. It's just a hook to get you interacting with the party. And you only "write a new bond whenever you resolve an old one". So each class should always have the same amount.

What really kills me is that 99% of all prewritten bonds are done wrong. This is how the text tells you to write bonds (emphasis mine):

quote:

Choose a thought or belief your character holds that ties the two together and an action, something you’re going to do about it.
But nearly every bond out there, from official to fan-made is absolute junk. In every game I've ever ran, I've told the players to rewrite any of their bonds they want after the first session, because most of them have nowhere to go.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

ShineDog posted:

I'm looking to move a star wars campaign over to pbta.

There are a couple of somewhat unfinished star wars sets but it looks like a straight reskinning of dw is probably going to fit the best, mostly because I'm the most familiar with that one even if it's less popular.

Any suggestions as to how to handle the groups spaceship? Make it it's own character perhaps? I own uncharted worlds and I've got some issues with it and I'm not too sure how to mash things together for its spaceship stuff.
One thing you could do is grab Inverse World. It has an emphasis on travel that could be useful for a spaceship game. It also has a few playbooks that could work (Lantern being the obvious one).

On the other hand, unless you're willing to put in a bunch of work to find custom playbooks to fit your group or roll your own, I'd honestly advise against DW as a stand-in.

PbtA games live and die by how well their moves emulate the genre and fictional conventions you're shooting for, and Dungeon World isn't really all that great outside of spelunking in dangerous dungeons, despite its popularity.

If you guys aren't opposed to some tactical combat maybe look into Strike!. Or even if you are, the combat junk is completely optional. It takes a lot of cues from PbtA, and even has an official hack of the SW setting in the back of the book.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
After a solid showing at a one-shot of WWW, the group is interested in turning it into a campaign.

We had a question about the Jobber though. Is there any mechanical incentive to make other characters look good in the ring that I'm missing? Or do the mechanics and player mindset map to the character's role as someone not in it for themselves?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

thelazyblank posted:

Outside of their "finishing move", there really isn't if I remember the playbook right. That being said, unless you can get Audience 4 without the rest of the wrestlers, you need people to help get you Audience.
The 10+ of Do The Job is that your opponent gets +1 Audience. The 7-9 is the one that gives you something (+1 Momentum and Heat). Though given that there's no stat added to DtJ, the second is way more likely.

And yeah, I guess I can see the quid pro quo thing if you're trying to play out the arc of a jobber becoming a star. I just generally prefer to see mechanical incentives to pursue the thing your character should be doing.

Or maybe it's set up to push you as a player to be selfish and immerse yourself in the struggle of trying to do good work vs being recognized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
One easy way is to let your players draw the map of the immediate area. Then you can figure out where the bandits would be located, or let them figure it out with some rolls.

Otherwise with something like this, I think it's okay to just roll with it. It was the players' choices that lead them up to this point, so they're probably already invested. Just roll with any Spout Lore or Discern Realities rolls.

And I say this every time Spout Lore comes up: IMO it's always better to tell the players something they don't want to hear (Reveal an unwelcome truth) than to tell them false information on a failure. Otherwise you end up pulling your players out of the moment with metagaming.

If you desperately want some leading questions, something about why the bandits stole the supplies could be decent ("What semi-noble reason did they have for taking the supplies"). Or if you want a twist, maybe they catch up to the bandits only to find they got beat up and the supplies were stolen again, and you could ask about that ("Judging by their wounds, what could have taken the supplies now").