Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crested Penguin
Jan 12, 2008
Possibly a Replicant
I'm three sessions into a Night Witches game. It's valuable to note that the character sheet packet also contains a starting scenario that introduces the situation really well. It also promotes the GM-swapping component of the game by encouraging you to have each player take turns controlling different key NPCs in the regiment. I can't speak to how well it teaches PbtA mechanics because all of us are very familiar with that. I did find the stuff about the rhythm of the day/night cycle to be really helpful, since that really defines the game and makes it a pretty different experience from other PbtA games I've played.

There definitely has been a lot of low-level pvp, which is certainly supposed to be there. The conflicts so far have been less overt than pvp conflicts I usually see in Apocalypse World, and nothing like the epic confrontations in Monsterhearts, but I guess it depends on your group. I think it does make sense for people stuck in close quarters in highly stressful situations to have it out with each other though.

The night moves are all really scary. The results of a soft hit mean some really difficult choices, especially as planes get damaged and not repaired, or pilots go flying with harm. We're starting to hit the point where people have to really think twice about taking marks. Marks are very interesting, at first they're a good safety valve, but they get less appealing over time. I love the narrative triggers on them, they have really fleshed out some of the characters. It doesn't take long for players to really start desperately looking to get some mission pool to cover themselves for all the hard night stuff.

The day is interesting to GM because it's a little hard to precisely say how many scenes you should have. I've started to use, "you can do that if you cut into your sleep and take 1-harm from exhaustion" a lot. Sometimes a day cycle is a lot longer because some real drama comes up.

We're coming up on the end of the second duty station, and one of the players has said he wants to GM that one. I only ran my PC for a little bit in the intro so it will be cool to see it from the player side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU