Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I might have to run a Monsterhearts game tomorrow and I need some ideas for dramatic stuff to happen. The game is set in 199X in a small town with a 100+ year old insane asylum, if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Thanqol posted:

There's a party and all but one of the PCs are invited.

You can then stick complications on that, like 'the party is in the insane asylum', but really if you just pick one PC and exclude them then it'll write itself.

Covok posted:

You could always do what I do in situations like these: ask the players. Like, set a scene, but ask why they are there with guided questions, ask if their characters have heard of any rumors before the game starts proper, stuff like that. Might lead to some awkward interlocking of points, but, since the players mentioned the hook, you at least know this is what they want to explore.

Thanks very much!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
My Monsterhearts game involves an insane asylum where they're doing it old school. I hope for my players to end up in the tranquilizer chair at some point:

So I'm working on a custom move. How's this?

When you are trapped in the tranquilizer chair, roll Volatile. On a 10+, carry one forward on your next action while in the asylum. On a 7-9, carry one forward, but gain the Condition Tranquil. On a miss, gain the Condition Tranquil.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Meinberg posted:

I'm not sure if I'd go with Volatile myself. Getting exposed to a tranquilizer chair and then getting insight into how to act in the future seem like a +Dark thing to me.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Could you go into the intended fiction behind what this move does? Because something about this move isn't quite clicking for me, and I think it's the rewards. I do get what you're going for when you have this be a Volatile roll, though.

Also, just want to say that, even though I don't quite like it, it should be good enough for a little one-off move in your personal game.

The PCs are fighting against a psychic entity that inhabits an old 19th-century asylum. The entity is trying to help people by making them Tranquil - Tranquil people act according to the 19th-century ideals of industry (industriousness), temperance, and middle-class respectability. Basically, they go around all day singing hymns and eating unsweetened bran. Rolling Volatile represents the PC's stubborn resistance to the entity's brainwashing. (It's worth noting that the tranquilizer chair is a bit of an anachronism, but I'm going for horror and control, not 100% historical accuracy.)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
My Monsterhearts players want their characters to be in more situations that require teamwork. They do like the system and are invested in the setting we made together, but they'd like some more conventional player-versus-environment type situations. How can I encourage that? I realize it's partly on them to find reasons to cooperate, but I'd like to help make things easier.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If the thing really does make sense narratively, I'd say it just happens without anybody having to roll for it. You are right that you and your group should be the ones to decide what's best for you and your group, but the book does recommend that you roll with most of the suggestions the PCs make.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Alaois posted:

Why are people making succubi skins for a game about playing teenagers

Because the game about playing teenagers happens to have sex-related mechanics, one of which is called a Sex Move.

I mean, you don't have to have your teenage MH characters have sex, but you can't pretend like the game system doesn't encourage the player to at least think about that kind of thing.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Magpie Games put up their Kickstarter campaign for Bluebeard's Bride, a Gothic horror game based on the fairy tale of Bluebeard.

Bluebeard's Bride is a PBtA game, but they did a couple of interesting things with the mechanics - for example, the game is mostly diceless, and the players play aspects of a single person's psyche (so it's kind of a semi-Jungian horror version of Everyone is John). They've already met their funding goal ten times over after just five days, but there's some cool stretch goals I hope they meet. They put up the beta ruleset on DriveThruRPG, so you can start playing the game ASAP (as long as you already understand PBtA).

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Caedar posted:

I'm not sure that's 100% correct. Isn't Whitney Beltran (Strix) the lead writer?

She's collaborating with Kelley and Sarah Richardson (who's run most of the Actual Plays floating around online, though many of them are based on older versions of the rules). They met at an all-women game jam at GenCon 2014, came up with the idea for Bluebeard's Bride there, and have been working on it ever since.

According to the KS page for BB, the PDFs are going to come out in May 2017, while the physical books will come out in July. I suppose we'll have to see if they can deliver.

E: FWIW, I'm okay with waiting for the BB books to come out, even if it's much longer than they promised, because I believe 1) in the concept and system and 2) that they'll deliver eventually. I understand that not everybody feels that way.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 27, 2016

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

A friend said he’d like to be in a campaign setting where fast food mascots like the Burger King control the land and the PCs are up-and-coming mascots trying to make a name for themselves in the fast food empire.

PbtA seems like a great way to attempt this, but I don’t know which game would be the best for characters trying to claim power and territory while outmaneovering the Grimace and fleeing Colonel Sanders’ cavalry.

Blades comes to mind, but would need a good amount of tweaking. Any suggestions?

Apocalypse World seems like the best choice

May I present Exhibit A

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

CitizenKeen posted:

Before I read all 67 pages of this thread (which I'm happy to do): is this a thread for discussing Spire and other "descended" from the Apocalypse games?

You might call them...Post-Apocalypse.

I'll show myself out

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I didn't think I'd see Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar referenced anywhere outside of a classic radio fan context. Huh.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What I like to do in Session 1 of Monsterhearts is to wait until someone Gazes into the Abyss - or failing that, until the classroom drama stalls out - and have a car smash into homeroom. The Abyss-gazer or someone looking out the window is forewarned; they can shout a warning or pull a classmate out of the way. The driver and/or people who don't get out of the way get injured or even killed. Ideally, the driver is connected to one of the PCs - maybe they give the character a cryptic warning just before they die of their injuries. If you can't think of a good NPC to be the driver, ask a player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'd say Monsterhearts could work with some tweaking for a dark fairy tale setting, especially with the Fae playbook. But I don't know of any PbtA games that are designed to emulate fairy tales.