Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Cyphoderus posted:

I'm really intrigued by Worlds in Peril. Has anyone here run it?

I played four or five sessions.
It was interesting, with the caveat that the stats aren't really balanced. You can go a long way without +Smash (by applying conditions like Tied Up, Frustrated, Out of Breath, or Repentant) but agility will get you through.

I really, really enjoyed the playbook moves unlocking on situation rather than level up. I was playing a kind of nebbish coward*, and unlocking moves with things like -You encounter a villain you sympathize with and want to learn more about is stellar.

If you want to play Frank Castle, you don't start out with a move that lets you straight up Punisher someone; you have to Make an enemy out of a friend and -bring up and discuss the idea of using lethal force with a character you have a strong Bond with.
You get those moments.

*Who everyone saw as a slick ultra-spy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

I might have to run a Monsterhearts game tomorrow and I need some ideas for dramatic stuff to happen. The game is set in 199X in a small town with a 100+ year old insane asylum, if that matters.

Jagged Little Pill is also you need for a 90s MH soundtrack.

Create reticence on the part of one PC to attend, then put something they value in danger.
Unlike most RPGS, MH works best when players are at cross purposes. Give rewards to the wrong person.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Well, two GM moves are "Split them up" and "Put them together".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Haven't seen it.

I don't know, to your other question. Tell the players OOC that their job is to put pressure on other PCs, use and get strings on them, and make their lives interesting. You're emulating TV dramas where people betray each other for seasons at a time.

What I'd like to see is a more other-PC focused Chosen. You start the background getting and giving strings to NPCs and only a few moves can really apply to PC/PC interaction.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 29, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

Oh, I only saw this now. Thanks for the reply!

So it's not the moves triggering in those situations, it's you unlocking new moves by getting into situations? That sounds really cool, actually.

You gotta do it to learn it. Sometimes, you'll unlock a new book because you realize you've acted a certain way, which is the complete opposite of "think with your character sheet" roleplaying

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Monsterhearts continues to fascinate me. Unlike almost all other RPGs, a limited location (that PCs can't reach the pinnacle of) means to getting what you want is at someone else's expense.

Or maybe it's my group.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

100% sure I've seen "Scream Queen" before in PBTA. Maybe in the Monster of the Week Google+ group?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

QuantumNinja posted:

This question is for Bucnasti, but anyone who has played a good bit of Spirit of '77 should feel free to chime in:

What role is money supposed to play in the game? Characters start with various amounts, but I can't find in the book where it addresses things like paydays and whatnot. Should they be expected to manage it D&D-style, where they have to track expenditures and income? Are there moves or something associated with it that I totally missed? If one of the characters has, say, $50 on their sheet at the start, is that literally the cash they have to do that sort of thing?

Tracking income and outcome is out of genre. No matter what happens, your characters seem to have a few bucks in their pocket. Getting more will require going to the bank (and it being open!), or pawning aunt Edna's Elvis figurines again.

If you need money, "getting cash" should be a side-adventure, at least the first few times. After that, you can say you're tapping out the Bark-N-Woof's Petty Cash fund and go on to the next.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

After 200 hours, I don't know if there are any monstrous teens left to inhabit!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Tulpa posted:

(Legit critique of high-level play).

quote:

Gaze into the Abyss is a conceptually great move (if you read the forum posts that lead to its development) but it's not great in practice. It's a move where the trigger is more interesting and important than the actual results of the move, and there's going to be situations where the MC is left grasping for straws from the 7-9 result being such a creative heavy-lift.
I've found that cutting-away from GotA is useful, if there's dramatic action elsewhere, but with vague visions, you can always backdate it. (If they see a blue coat, perhaps the villain puts on a blue coat LATER, even if their coat was black. Perhaps they see someone they care about imperiled, if it's at all possible).

[quote]Two of the most important moves in the game, Turn Someone On and Shut Someone Down, can be triggered without the character taking any action at all (shutting down by looking past someone like they don't exist is the most common instance of passive shutdowns) which can lead to weird and unsatisfying results when the mechanics don't seem to interface well with the fiction.
I didn't know SSD was passive, but "Looking past someone" is still an act other people could notice and react to. "Turn Someone On passively" is a staple of any teen movie, not just monstrous ones. It's the "Walk down the hall, backlit, and shake your hair in slow motion" move, and if it's botched, they can walk right into the principal.

quote:

The vampire's hypnosis is intentionally written to be really destructive towards player agency, and I think that's totally fine, but it's not a very fun move to be on the receiving end of. AW's Skinner had a move called Hypnotic as well but it was much better executed. In trying to be more simplified/less crunchy than AW, it actually makes the game harder to manage and less fun.

Yeah, it's the worst core move by far.

The rest of your critique is spot on.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I would check out Gunskrieggen Valkyrie from FATE: it's airplane drama + pilot drama, easily reskinned from its post WW1 setting.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

RSIxidor posted:

Kriegszeppelin Valkyrie?

ValkZeperr Kyrgyzstan.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

What're the classes of Cartel?

I'd like to buy it, but I have everything else in the bundle and it sounds like the final will be out in 4 months.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Thanlis posted:

I cannot legitimately recommend it in that case since you can pick up the ashcan separately for $10.

Classes:

El Cocinero (the drug cook, think exactly who you're thinking of)
El Halcón (the hawk, errand runner)
El Narco (the boss)
La Esposa (the spouse, innocent caught in the criminal underworld)
La Polizeta (the cop)
La Sicaria (the hit woman)

You can grab the playbooks and basic moves here.
These are really good playbooks, and I love the Stress Moves. At best, you'll calm down, but you'll probably gently caress up a relationship, waste money or hurt yourself.

Annoying how some moves are "roll +Something, aim for a miss". One of the joys of Apoc is its unerring simplicity.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 2, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Fury is "Carrie", and Carrie is a movie, not a TV series. Once the Fury flips her lid, that's pretty much it for the character's arc.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Meinberg posted:

I finally got around to reading World Wide Wrestling and it is awesome. Have there been many PbPs of it? I'm curious how the timing works in the PbP format.

It's one of those things that works much, much better live. Because then you can say things like "No, focus on my leg, I have a great idea" or "WHERE in the ring is the TV-Tron 5000?"

spectralent posted:

"When you have sex with someone who isn't your spouse, that's wrong, don't do that."

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Oh my god that's amazing.

I contend The Parent is more playable than 80% of custom skins for this game.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 5, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Neopie posted:

It's hilarious, but it's really badly constructed, mechanically.

Was my joke, not true

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Here's the official-unofficial list of Wrestlin' Clips for newbies:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g0lP-xSmGVhI0vaSpmbXOWGoZaLKi8f53vQ8E_B548g/edit

mllaneza posted:

In the history of PbtA, and I'm including several moves I've written whose names I'm smugly proud of.

Missing in the formatting is the joke "Add 0 to the following stats".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

TurninTrix posted:

Anyone has play experience with Worlds in Peril? I like how it reads but I'd also like to hear from others how it works out in practice!
It plays ok but progression is quite odd.

Edit 2k16: Masks is a lot better.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 28, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Who created the Daemon?
It's an amazing skin, unsigned, and I've never seen it before.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Loki_XLII posted:

Stupid monsterhearts and its treating character like stolen cars. I ran the first session of a game today and we had an npc in the class who was an art student named Mohammad Dali, and he got loving murdered. That is one of the greatest names I've ever heard and I had to kill him.

I'll create a Mohammad Dali in solidarity.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you want to collaborate in Monsterhearts, it's about putting NPCs at disadvantage. Use strings to mess with them (make them freeze up or easier to manipulate), give each other physical healing, don't block attempts to Run Away.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, I just backed Masks and it's fantastic. There's a playtest during VirtuaCon but I'd love to try a campaign of it; it's Monsterhearts: Teamwork Edition.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Surprised that all the custom books on the G+ Mask group are from this group. Well, surprised and unsurprised.

My take on the "Kid Superhero" is more Sailor Moon, Molly Hayes and Misfit (who was the youngster in Birds of Prey.)

The Youth 2.0 is ready to join the fray!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Covok posted:

I decided to write up a playset for Masks inspired by works like Tiger & Bunny and Ratman. Essentially, a world of heroes that is run by and centers around corporations. I decided to bother some ideas from Nathan D. Poeletta's World Wide Wrestling to add a new dimension to the game.

I tried my best to make the playset play back into the concept of finding yourself by trying to establish that the corporation you work for takes away your identity (your own hero logo) for their own and, on top of the other alterations, a custom, adult move allows you to take your logo back.

It definitely isn't perfect, or even good, and any feedback is appreciated.

"Cut a Promo" doesn't translate well; it's intentional that most of Masks communication is Changing People's Self-Image and Provoking. Nuance and Empathy are an adult move.

Instead, something like:

PLAY TO THE CAMERA: When you Act Selfishly, you can instead take +1 Approval instead of +1 forward.

---

I don't think Alter Self-Image should let you raise or lower approval, unless you do it in a public way. Taking Starkid aside and saying "Hey, you're too dangerous, pay attention to your environment" won't effect either of your corporate standings.

I suggest you rework the Delinquent (I'd make them someone who utterly hates the system and give them a move similar to Mary Contrary for corporations). Ex:
"Break the Chains: When you reach 0 approval, mark potential. You can share this move; when your entire team reaches 0 approval, you all count as On the Same Page for the Team move. Cross this move out and take another."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Covok posted:

You can definitely take advantage of someone caring what you say to mislead them in a corporate setting and make yourself look better at their expense. Hell, I've seen it happen.

The most important thing, of course, is for it to flow from the fiction. If you take advantage of your influence over someone to get them to say something candid about their boss then forward that information, you definitely made yourself look better at their expense.

The book says explicitly you work for different companies, so it seems extremely unlikely as a fictional trigger. "Let it off your chest" is one thing, but "going to tell their boss" is a SEPARATE fictional trigger. Them telling you something in privacy would never mess with the corporate masters; the trigger is when the info goes back to PR.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Was struck by inspiration yesterday and released a 12 page Masks supplement, In 400 Miles: Turn Left.

Primarily for teen supers, but useful for any road trip game.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Finally, a cyberpunk game in pbta! HAMISH, THROW THIS IN THE PILE!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

QuantumNinja posted:

Does anyone know where I could find a copy of pirate world? I'm happy to pay for it, and the kickstarter claims the PDF is done.

It's coming out "soon", in terms of geological time

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

thefakenews posted:

I am still grappling with how to define Innocents and Abominations, and whether it will be static or dependent on the character. That's going to end up being fairly important.

The partial draft rules are here, if you want to peek.

I feel like you have woe handled, but what about weal? Why are the PCs powerful, why does their duty matter? I'm sure it'll come across in the playbooks, but if I'm playing inspector, I want my decisions to be Final and Irreversible. What period literature and modernist literature are you reading about from the time?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

GimpInBlack posted:

I did a few years back. It was pretty fun, but we only got through one story before it fizzled on account of me moving across a continent and an international border and being without reliable internet access for a couple months.

I wish you'd run it again in roll20 or something. For some reason we had a paranoid conspiracy theorist teaming with her dad and a punk kid, whose gender was female! And also others.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Gerdalti posted:

I'm thinking "Monster of the Week" might be a fun intro to PbtA for my D&D group, are there any good online resources for playbooks etc that you guys know of?

I'd likely be DM'ing, but it will be my first foray into PbtA games as well.

Aren't they bundled in the book? They're also on the EvilHat Website.
http://www.evilhat.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Monster-of-the-Week-Revised-Playbooks.pdf

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 12, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You've come far! 63 pages is a great accomplishment.

Time to add evocative point-of-view text to the Classes.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

thefakenews posted:

I've made some substantial additions to Malleus, my 17th Century monster hunting hack. Still mulling new archetypes, and it needs more commentary on the moves, as well as proper GMing advice but the majority of the mechanical stuff is now in place.

I got some very useful feed back from a few people last time I posted, so if anyone wants to take a look I would be super grateful. Looking to lineup some more play testing, including over Roll20 if anyone is interested.

The current draft is here.

I'd love to playtest. Set up a doodle.
You have a few typos in the new Archetype sections, an incorrect your or its, and a few signs that you rewrote sentences (tense/number errors). You also say Darkness and Light a billion times; I'd try them as second person, or go for 3rd person mythic. The Rakehell is the best here.

Ex: Some people say the Inquisitors are as dangerous as the monsters they track.
They don't say this to an Inquisitor's face.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 24, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Sorry for Doublepost.

Creating a new game called HollyWorld, where you get rich/find happyness/go insane in Los Angeles. It's come along a shitton faster than my previous attempt (Facts and Matters of Family Life) and will be playtestable by the end of the year.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

All that and my takeaway was "The Unleash move is really powerful on a 12+".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

bewilderment posted:

There was a 2nd edition of Monster of the Week. I'm not sure how many of the initial issues it had were fixed by the new edition. Probably some of them!

A lot but not all of them. It's got a huge number of core playbooks.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Gerdalti posted:

If you look back one page we listed them all actually, and linked the not-in-the-books ones too.
By most of them I meant "fixed most rules".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

So I've done the first draft of HOLLYWORLD!

One of my design choices was to make physical violence secondary, turning into one basic move and one book move (Pull Hair and Bite).
I'm going to playtest this month but this is the first game-game I've really made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Very few post *AW games use Seize/Aggro, even the new version doesn't use it. But the way you do combat in Fellowship, Monsterhearts, MoTW and Masks are all different without being confusing or swingy.