Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Having never played Urban Shadows but was interested in checking it out, how does it play when everyone's off focused on their own things? Does everyone just sit and wait at the table while the GM plays out a scene with the one player involved? There's gotta be ways for other players to inject themselves in a scene right?

It’s hard, even with strong players. Modern life, compared to a fantasy setting, has super fast travel, traffic and often 10,000x more NPC’s. If you’re in the penthouse in Manhattan and there’s a werewolf rumble in Brooklyn, it could realistically be over before you exit your elevator and call a cab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Theoretically yes, until you decide to go to any other place for any reason.

You go visit my cousin somewhere else, the werewolf holds off hostilities for a while before they start… Same thing with Cartel, by cartel has much more robust combat so the problem can amplify. (I was playing the Esposa in one game and the Cocinero got in an accidental gun fight that felt like it took half the session.)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Magpie games aren’t really released, they escape.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s not the combat is complicated, it’s that combat generates conflict which generates moves which generates conflict. And then like a fantasy genre, most characters aren’t going to run towards a fracas on the other side of town.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I would imagine no, because the role of the MC is making specific moves. GMless generally diffuses responsibility.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I suggest spirit of 77. The sample adventure, cruise ship of the Damned, is an excellent one shot with seven amazing pre-generated characters, including the captain of a cheerleading team, a British spy, and Colonel Sanders.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 22, 2023

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There is a lot of great tips in the free module, cruise ship of the Damned, and the book itself has a lot of great advice! For even more advice, wide world of 77 has more.

One thing that isn’t in there is how I prepare players for a session, which is playing a YouTube loop of 70s commercials. Really gets the vibe going.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Masks is a really good system, and the only ready to break it consistently is moves that replace danger with another stat semi permanently.

I would use this custom patch that someone made, it fixes a lot of edge cases https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rHSefhKJFZsjy8t-Xfj45AXaMBwnyyVObISDiRbfFOY/edit#heading=h.wrcrswr95do9 .

And I agree with the above poster; the nova should be able to solve cosmic threats and the beacon should be dealing with Dinkyness or you’re not giving the playbooks the full package. It’s in the GM moves for each one.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I saw early versions of the game and they seemed very combat focused, mostly aping the excellent board game. Maybe it’s different now, but a lot of the character playbooks seemed similar too.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Isn't there a thing in Masks on how you shouldn't have two of the same playbook?

Correct. Instead, give someone THE JOINED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If someone rolls a six but you don’t know what to do with it, you can have them succeed and then screw them over later. It’s unlikely to run an entire campaign with good, instantaneous consequences, and if the twist is it all fair, you can point back to the six and the players will be with you.