Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Bear Enthusiast posted:

I remember someone had a great writeup on writing an Agenda and Principles for a hack, but I'm not sure if it was someone here or a link to the official forums, or something else. Anyone remember something like that?

Simple World is the closest I can think of. That it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Anyone has play experience with Worlds in Peril? I like how it reads but I'd also like to hear from others how it works out in practice!

Mitama fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 8, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Can you clarify? I've been reading the book and it was in the stance that it could do PVP perfectly fine.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

QuantumNinja posted:

This might as well read: "On a 12+, you instantly win combat. Congratulations!"

So in literally the first volley, the Wizard lost to the Hunter's advanced Unleash. Seeing as we were on a train platform, the Hunter had the option to just... throw the Wizard in front of a train. Then I pointed out the Wizard's Death Curse could literally unmake the Hunter's entire long-term goals, and the Hunter decided not to follow through.

For system failure, I think the complaint stems from how Urban Shadows treats combat: it tries to ignore it and avoid it at essentially all cost. Unlike Apoc World, there isn't an interesting and rich infrastructure for throwing down. The fight felt cheap: we were sort of hyped up to see which of us would win in a fight, and the advancement of Unleash unceremoniously declared one the winner. Compared to the Battle Moves of Apocalypse World, which would have guaranteed a good and interesting fight, which would have been a crazy fight across Grand Central Station, we just got the Hunter getting an ace roll. I don't think it felt satisfying to anyone involved---it certainly didn't to me.

Okay, I totally get this. I suppose not even the Hinder move can do much against a really, really good roll on an advanced Unleash move.

On the other hand, that 12+ description works nearly the same as AW's advanced Go Aggro move, so I dunno if it's unique to this game. I guess custom moves would be the way to go, if it ever happens again?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

You missed the Tainted. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I don't know about now, but Dungeon World PBPs used to swarm the Game Room a few years back. I think people are burned out on it.