Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Tulpa posted:

Fair enough, and I think I'm probably more critical of MH than most people here as I would class it as 2nd-circle instead of 3rd-circle (come to think of it, there hasn't actually been a 3rd-circle game)

I'd be interested in your take on Cartel. It doesn't fall into the trap of using the same basic moves, damage is handled very differently, etc. Perhaps too early to judge given that it's not out in final form yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

malkav11 posted:

Note that Cartel isn't the final game but an "ashcan" edition. That said, I suspect that's not the primary thing most people will be buying this bundle for.

It's playable if you know the general system. It's also excellent -- the addiction rules are very good in particular.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

What're the classes of Cartel?

I'd like to buy it, but I have everything else in the bundle and it sounds like the final will be out in 4 months.

I cannot legitimately recommend it in that case since you can pick up the ashcan separately for $10.

Classes:

El Cocinero (the drug cook, think exactly who you're thinking of)
El Halcón (the hawk, errand runner)
El Narco (the boss)
La Esposa (the spouse, innocent caught in the criminal underworld)
La Polizeta (the cop)
La Sicaria (the hit woman)

You can grab the playbooks and basic moves here.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

This all speaks to the importance of system mastery in Blades. I love the game but it’s not immediately obvious how to play and I think players really need to engage with the rulebook to get the most out of it. Which is not everyone’s cup of tea, and that’s fine!

My players and I have all vastly enjoyed our year long campaign but I won’t go back to the system next time for this particular group.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Thanks! It was Copperhead County, but Ruralpunk sounds like extremely my poo poo.

Last I heard Cassandra Khaw was stepping away from game design but the beta Ruralpunk rules seem fairly playable. Might want to download them just in case the site dies, though.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is there any good modern post-apocalyptic fiction that I should absolutely should check out?

Mike Carey’s The Book of Koli, but it is the first of a trilogy and I didn’t find the conclusion entirely satisfying in and of itself.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

New worldwide wrestling came out. The new art looks pretty keen.

I'm using the maneuver art as an aid for non-wrestling fans in a FATE wrestling campaign I'm in. Really handy. I think the presentation is also better; it's a good upgrade all around.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Blind Azathoth posted:

Unfortunately, no, there is no comprehensive and up-to-date list of PbtA games. The Bakers host a list on the Apocalypse World site, but that one relies on authors personally asking Vincent or Meg to add their game, so it's also very spotty, out of date, and doesn't include any games in the Forged in the Dark and Belonging Outside Belonging sub-families (except for Blades and Dream Askew/Apart themselves).

They dropped that list a week or so ago: "Once I maintained a database of PbtA games at this location, but I fell behind and now there are, friends, I kid you not, hundreds and hundreds. Too many to catch up!" The page links to games tagged appropriately on various RPG sites, though.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

What do you know? We’re getting an Apocalypse World SRD after all this time.

https://dice.camp/@lumpley/109700969578909759

quote:

After 12 years' worth plus a spate of requests this past weekend, I'm doing the unthinkable and/or unconscionable and writing up an Apocalypse World SRD.

It's going incredibly well. I can't even tell you. It's a mean, stripped down version of my PbtA articles, laser focused on making a cinematic ensemble action-drama-thriller game like AW.

I don't know how many games it'll inspire, of course, when it comes to it, but it's a tight piece of practical RPG theory anyway. I'm excited to share it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Chernobyl Princess posted:

I have not heard of Cartel and this sounds extremely up my partner's alley. Is this another PbtA game?

Yeah, it’s from Magpie, and it focuses on Mexican cartels and crime. The Kickstarter will never complete but the core book is solid.