Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Glazius posted:

The thing is, there are pretty much no mechanics for what your powers are or how they work, which I think given the available variety is a pretty good decision. You write down the things that are:

Simple: the basic stuff. Use my ring to give me simple flight. Use my ring to give me simple ballistic armor. Use my ring to move, at a distance, anything a normal human can carry.
Difficult: the stuff you can do as long as you have time and care, and guess what you don't usually have when you need to use your powers! Use my ring to create objects with simple mechanics or properties - a spring, a fireproof blanket, a dense wall. Use my ring to block painful extreme of temperature or the force of a car crash. Use my ring to move a truck.
Borderline: what you can do when the situation really demands it, but it takes a lot out of you. Use my ring to replicate military hardware including the ordnance: a tank, a bomber. Use my ring to project a forcefield to protect dozens of people. Use my ring to move a building.
Limits of the Possible: the most you can think of, the most you can do. Use my ring to create a squadron's worth of autonomous hardware that can follow simple commands. Use my ring to protect everyone in a city block. Use my ring to move a force of nature: a tide, a wind, a continental plate (mostly to hold that one still).
Impossible: things you can't do. Use my ring to create sapient life. Use my ring to move a planet.

I really dig the way this is set up (and the way you earn new powers during play, with risky "power stunt" kind of moves), but my major hang-up with Worlds in Peril is that there seems to be no mechanical reason to ever take a new power as anything but simple, since there seems to be absolutely no difference in play whether the ability you're using is difficult for you or not. The only thing stopping you from totally minmaxing your powerset is good sportsmanship, and that bugs me a bit. Just about everything else in the game seems really good, but this is such a central thing to just leave 100% in the fiction like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Tulpa posted:

Fair enough, and I think I'm probably more critical of MH than most people here as I would class it as 2nd-circle instead of 3rd-circle (come to think of it, there hasn't actually been a 3rd-circle game)

Part of that is that I have played more than 50 sessions of Monsterhearts whereas I have played maybe 15 total sessions of Dungeon World, so DW's flaws don't really stand out to me whereas everything wrong with MH is glaringly obvious.

I'd actually like to hear some of your gripes with MH; I like it a lot (after ~5-6 sessions or so) and have yet to see any serious criticism of it that doesn't come strictly from being uncomfortable with the game's premise.