Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Must admit got the "Definetly not world of darkness" apocalypse world hack and... well it didn't feel nearly as cool as either Legacy or AW, I am not sure why, could anyone write their own experiences with it or am I just judging a book by its cover a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Thats the one! Anyone had any good experiences with it?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Heya guys, quick question but has anyone got something a bit like Hunter the Vigil for apoc world? Was wondering about running it either IRL or on here. Thanks!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Awesome, and as a secondary update is it any good? And/or were there any simple reskins of the AW format to go alongside this? Thanks again for the info so promptly too!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

LordZoric posted:

Yeah I would say it's quite serviceable. Like others have said it's an early hack and has a lot of the issues that plagued them in that it was trying to do way too much and as a result feels pretty bland and samey. The rules are solid as long as you follow the principles laid out for you. IIRC the second edition mostly just cleared up the wording on some of the moves and added a few more playbooks.

Hmm, in which case I may give it a miss till after Christmas, still trying to work out a good way to play Hunter the Vigil without the whole "enjoy the several billion pages of rules" thing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Covok posted:

How would you give this game a marketing blurb? I've never read the comic before and don't know how to summarize a game based on it?

The gods have died, the angels shattered by the hand of man and all the 777,777 multiverses are spinning off the corpse of heaven. Try to survive as an angel forged of stone by humans, devils bound to mortal bodies through the power of the dread black flame, servants who were built to bring the universe to order or an ordinary human just trying to stay alive.

Or the tagline for most of the series "Reach Heaven Through Violence"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Any links to fallen empires?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ah thats fine then, was just wondering if there was something with a Kickstarter I could help (missed out on the Urban shadows one and still a bit miffed at that).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay so this Thursday I am going to be running a game of Urban Shadows for some of my mates and I am really nervous.

Any advice people can give for me? I mean the first session is mainly going to be character rolling, rules explaining and ancillary bullshit. But I would still appreciate any advice other people have as to how to run a decent game.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay, so just ran my first game of Urban Shadows. It went okay I guess, but I am a bit worried how it is going to go in the future.

Its set in near future Moscow and the main protagonists are:

Lara- An almost monomaniacal Aware who was played by Curtis who was going to leave the group after the first session to go back to Cambridge.
Houton- An Oracle with water and running away issues
Jacob- A soviet spy ghost that was murdered after his friend Gregor gave him up by accident in Britain who is searching for the people who killed his daughter, is in debt to the ghost mob and whose wife is being helped by Lara.
Mafixia- An apparent succubus vampire thing played with enthusiasm for the concept but little beyond being really interested in sex by Emsey.

I tried to get them all together to start with and they all have debts, I even got them shot at by a shape shifting were-cat thing. But I dunno I don't know how to do "conversation" without it just ending up being me saying "okay you've done x and y now roll z"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

See I would kind of like to play a game more like Hunter the vigil but with easier rules.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

DemonMage posted:

What specific aspects of Hunter are you wanting to keep?

Depends I have never actually been able to play it as my local group (if you can call us that) doesn't really like story games as much as just board games. But I kind of like the over arching conspiracies, finding out about monsters and having multiple skills as opposed to the more specialized "One person is the hunter" esc world of Urban Shadows.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Megazver posted:

PBTA games still get recruits every week or so, just not DW anymore.

As a sidenote, I wish someone would run a PBTA Roll20 game in eurotime. Any of them. I just want to RP in real time with someone.

Yeah, we had two recruits for "the Sprawl" and "Apoc world" in the last 3 weeks at least.

Join the club, I would love to be able to even do a PbP of any of the apoc world games.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay, for some reason ( it might be the art) I just cannot get into the Sprawl. Has anyone else found this?

It might also be that there seem to be too many things to roll on, too many additional systems that it feels really hard to have a thing that you are good at, even if you can suck at other stuff.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 9, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

So I've never actually understood what the hell the Skinner is supposed to actually be - like, what post-apocalyptic archetype do they actually represent? What's their niche in the genre?

I always thought that they represented the McGuffin. They were the thing that others wanted, and because of that, they have power to use it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Going to go out on a limb and describe it as a perfect movie.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think that Fury Road is the closest we can come to a perfect movie.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'm so impressed by the feel of Fury Road, because I think it informed AW but I think that Fury Road helped to break out of the dark greys we often associate with apocalypses. Making it garish has helped a lot I think.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Are there any good AW hacks/ new versions on itch?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Poland Spring posted:

I don't like Sprawl for several reasons but a big one is that stat, it doesn't have a basic move and just serves as a weird point shuffle instead of a thematic component of a character. Every other stat means something, Synth is just "I can wear a cyberarm good".

What are other reasons?

Sprawl never "clicked" with me but I also didn't go into the guts of it hugely.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think one of the things that kind of put me off was the art style for the actual characters. The whole look is just not my aesthetic in any way.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Argh I hate the FitD dice mechanic.

Why, if I can ask?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I mean tbf, it's still bad to lose and feels like poo poo most of the time. Like, I get why people fail in stories and so on, but it's a hard thing to have to keep working through.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

This is why I think Blades doing the "don't screw people out of their payday" thing is good.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

again, hyphz complained so much about how no one could ever possibly enjoy apocalypse world that a server got made to teach him different full of talented patient players and he was banned from it for being unbearable and a jerk.

Since the sagas thread is gone can I ask what the story on this is?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oooh, does anyone have a link to where I can buy stonetop or the pdf? I'd like to support folks and this setting looks dead cool!

I tried googling it and it just took me to the kickstarter.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

This may sound odd, and I know that this thread does not get as much traffic as other places, but I wanted to ask.

Does anyone know how to integrate more magic into a Blades in the Dark game? Specifically to do stuff like shooting fire from your hands, flying around, that kind of thing? My players want to be a bit more powerful and have a bit more D&D in terms of stories, that sort of thing.

Sorry and thanks for your time!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I feel like this is the most apropos place for this. Because it is truly wonderful art.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

So I've gotten Root for my birthday and I have to say I really like it, but at the same time this seems like a great system to use for a low fantasy setting in general, not just Root. Has anyone thought about doing that?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Glazius posted:

If you want to do your own homebrew low fantasy world it'd probably work out alright, you just need a whole bunch of different factions, all of whom want to be in charge, and be willing to prep their characteristic behaviors.

I mean even the factions seem relatively simple to reuse. I mean to put it bluntly the Woodland Alliance can become the Scoia'tael, the Aerie becomes the former monarchy and the Marquisette can become the imperial forces with pretty much no change whatsoever if you wanted to Witcher it.

I'm more just wondering because this seems like such a cool system idea and I am a bit shocked that no-one seems to have approached it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jihad Joe posted:

The root RPG is a thing.

Unless I'm wildly misunderstanding and it's just the setting people want to adapt. In which case God speed gentle goon.

Yeah I meant adapting the RPG. Should have been more clear!