Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I might have to run a Monsterhearts game tomorrow and I need some ideas for dramatic stuff to happen. The game is set in 199X in a small town with a 100+ year old insane asylum, if that matters.

There's a party and all but one of the PCs are invited.

You can then stick complications on that, like 'the party is in the insane asylum', but really if you just pick one PC and exclude them then it'll write itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Cyphoderus posted:

On a related note, with so goddamn many AW hacks and variants out there, what do you guys consider the telltale signs of a poor hack?

My own "screening process" consists of checking the Basic Moves and seeing if they agree with the game's atmosphere and are not too many, then looking at playbook concepts and checking whether they spark the imagination and make me want to play as them.

MC support. Playbooks and basic moves and poo poo are easy, a /good/ AW hack has a detailed MC section with very carefully chosen moves, principles and threat types. Without a robust MC section it doesn't matter how cute the playbooks are, I'm not gonna have any idea how to make that stuff matter.

Monster Hearts and Urban Shadows are the best at this that I've found. Monster Hearts often feels like MCing with one arm tied behind your back because your moves are so tremendously loving limited but it really keeps you on point and doing what you're supposed to.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Upon seeing the Doomed in Masks I became startlingly aware that the game could be used to run a Puella Madoka Magica Magi style crushing psychodrama rather than an uplifting superheroes story with remarkably little tweaking.

My mind is also blown by the MC getting new moves based on what Playbooks the players picked! I never thought of that and it's such a good way to bring the fundamental questions of each type into play.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Operant posted:

Hey! I am Abbadon (guy who makes Kill Six Billion Demons), thanks for checking out my comic/weird RPG hack. The RPG has always been a side project for me to my comic (which consumes most of my time). I chose PbTA to try and write a game in because I love its core game philosophy of consequence and narrative.

I did actually write an earlier version much closer to Dungeon World, but I found that I didn't like the combat flow in that very much. I did include damage die of a sort in this version just so there's a little bit of randomness in the damage and a system to interact with. It's still a glorified harm mechanic. I am a little hesitant to call it final because I feel like it makes the damage a little spiky, and I'm very open to changing things up.

I've thought about re-writing some of the core moves/statistics to be more setting-specific, but I also want to keep it accessible - as much as I liked Apocalypse World (and it's probably my favorite RPG system), it was a royal pain in the rear end having to explain the difference between going aggro and seizing by force.

If you have any feedback or pointers I'm very open to them - it's my first time writing a game system. I decided to write the RPG mainly because of interest.

Hey there! I love your comic. Not so much a fan of this hack though; AW hacks are pretty hard. You're not simulating reality, you're simulating the narrative beats used in the genre's fiction. When I'm just glancing over the basic moves I'm seeing stuff that isn't emulating any particular genre, or is emulating an old-style game engine. Here's some brief thoughts:

Stats: Why so many possible stats? Why are your stats the way they are at all? When you're telling a story about terrible gods, demons and monsters in the ruins of hell or whatever, is the story about Melkor the Magnificent being slightly stronger than Dragar Bearer Of A Thousand Curses? Is anyone in that story not charismatic and powerful?

It's the same reason Dexterity isn't a stat in Apocalypse World, nobody cares if you're a nimble dancer chick or a mountain of muscle, what we care about is if you're a Hard Bastard or not. In the 2012 Dredd movie, Judge Dredd is a Hard Bastard, and the Brainer chick isn't hard at all. It doesn't matter how smart, tough, or nimble Judge Dredd is in comparison to the Brainer chick, he's going to kill everyone because he's a Hard Bastard who scowls for literally the entire movie. That's what makes someone in that genre dangerous. In a different genre, like, say, a dark age setting to take an example, the dude who wins the fight isn't the Hard Bastard, it's the bold and daring hero, so the fighting stat is Bold.

So what are your stats trying to say about the genre, about the fiction? What makes someone Win Fights in this setting? Do people win fights by being strong, or do they win it by being terrifying hosed up demon monsters?

The way I got my head around how to do a *World hack is I put Urban Shadows, Monster Hearts and Apocalypse World on the table side-by-side and I looked at their different philosophies of violence. Apocalypse World says violence is about stuff; you go in with a deliberate plan to get a specific thing and maybe hurt someone along the way. Monster Hearts is about wanting to express your feelings with your body, and blindly lashing out makes you vulnerable and scared. Urban Shadows is about murder, one-sided, instantaneous and brutal. Really think about what you want to say about violence; if you can express it here we might be able to guide you towards putting that into more thematic moves.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 2, 2016

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

In the middle of all this high-minded discourse on the nature of PBTA and its applications, I will lament that I cannot throw some money at the guy who made Masks in exchange for a pdf of its work. I cannot afford to sink the money into a physical book and receiving it would be a problem.

My Masks playtest games haven't gone particularly well. We can see what they're trying to do but the basic moves don't quite do what you expect or give the results you'd want. There's also crazy indecision on 'powers matter and are woven into my playbook moves' and 'powers don't matter at all and all my playbook moves are social stuff'. They either need to scrap the Nova or scrap the Delinquent; having them both in the same ruleset is really jarring.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

I don't follow. Personally, I don't really care for the nova, but I don't see how they overlap.

Half the game seems to be about 'how do I use my cool powers to stop the bad guy'. The other half is 'how do I deal with the emotional turmoil of being a teenaged member of a team'. My playtest experience from 2 sessions was that the two do not meld nearly as well as I'd like.

quote:

I see this as intentional!
The Nova is all about his powers, trading between emotional and physical safety. That's why your core move is roll +(Emotional) Conditions you have!
You have control of a primal force, and the fact you're Super Powerful defines you.

The Delinquent is about the team and the law, constantly establishing where you stand in regards to one or the other.
You have powers that aid that, because you piss people off; you can have hacking, neutralization, illusions, but nothing for direct confrontation. You're who you are because you're a rebel!

If the Nova had the Delinquent's powers, he'd have little inner turmoil; they're not epic in scope. If the Delinquent had the Nova's powers, she could smash the state easily!

Yeah, I get what they're going for conceptually and love it, but the play experience didn't measure up to it. What I'm saying is the Nova's moves should be like 'you can automatically 10+ this roll if you hurt someone you care about by mistake', or 'when you refuse to use your powers when they're necessary, mark experience' and poo poo like that. Focus on the emotional side of being the Nova with the moves! I don't give an actual gently caress if they can make solid light constructs or shoot laser eyes or whatever, that's not what I'm there for.

Operant posted:

Yeah, I did think about this and probably want to screw around with it a little more and make moves that fit more of the fiction. I left things a bit generic just to make sure the game felt balanced and good to play before I started tweaking things, so the current stats are sort of stand ins. Mind and presence will probably stay the same, Strength will probably get renamed to something like Body, Skill to something like Cold, I may tweak the combat moves to be a little more thematic and add some sort of social aspect to the combat stats.

I do prefer the 'macro' feel to moves, which is why I moved back to a pseudo Harm system. I don't think splitting moves into ranged/melee actually works that well, so I may revert that. I don't really like the generic 'avoid disaster' move even though I felt like I used 'act under fire' quite a bit for the same purposes when playing AW. I may combine the combat moves, add a little more flavor, and add different 'avoid disaster' style moves for the different stats that have more narrative flavor.

Thanks for the feedback! If anyone else has any pointers, I'm very open to them.

My best advice is don't make generic moves; make the moves that fit your fiction specifically. I was working on a hack based on fish-out-of-water comedy, like The Wrong Mans, Hot Fuzz, Zombieland etc and I had moves like this:

Deal With It
When you bite the bullet and go into a situation that you find scary, no matter how petty the fear may be, roll +Courageous.
10+: Give out 2 hold
7-9: Give out 3 hold

Anyone with Hold may spend their hold during this scene, one for one, to:
- Have something go wrong
- Have one of your fears come true
- Raise the situation's stakes

Stand Up For Yourself
When you stand up for yourself, say exactly what you mean in no uncertain terms. Then roll +Courageous to see what actually comes out of your mouth.

10+: You deliver your speech exactly like it was in your head.
7-9: Choose one:
- You attach an unnecessarily offensive remark to your statement
- You immediately give a craven apology and back down
- You lie about something important
- You whisper or mumble the entire thing

On a miss then what comes out of your mouth has no relation to what you wanted to say.

Judge A Situation
When you're in a really bad spot and need some answers, roll +Cynical. If you act on these answers, take +1 forward.
10+: Ask two
7-9: Ask one

- No seriously, how screwed am I?
- What would ___ do in this situation?
- Where can I go to lay low for a while?
- How much does that guy know?
- What's the worst thing that could happen right now?

(man I should go back and finish this, it's better than I remember)

Also, the Monster Hearts guy is doing a heavy metal sci-fi hack

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Error 404 posted:

The way I see it, you still stand up for yourself but instead of "Hey, gently caress Off!" you're more like "I believe you have my stapler and um...i will burn down the building"

This actually encapsulated my idea for the move so perfectly it inspired me to go ahead and finish the drat thing.

It's called The Worst Day Ever. It's currently ready for playtesting, I'd love any thoughts that anyone has. I had to do a bunch of unusual stuff when I made this game, which dragged it a long way from my original vision, but the system followed its own internal logic after I reached a certain point and I had to invent some rather novel solutions. It all really clicked for me recently when I realized that the game could do tragedy just as well as comedy depending on the lighting and punctuation.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

It's interesting. There are a few typos here and there, but I'll say what I normally say: set up a doodle and put it on its feet.

I don't have time for another online game right now but I'm gonna see how my tabletop group reacts later this week. I guess another round of typo hunting is in order though

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Tiger posted:

I'd like to bring back Fallen Empires form last page. It's really dope for what it is. I mean, compared to the extensive game-building that was Dark Ages it's pretty much a new paint job, but... My group has been saying for ages that "you know what, you could pretty much re-skin the core playbooks to fantasy and it'd all work out". And now Vincent has done the work so we don't have to, he's done a really good job of it, and we're having a blast playing it right now! (Or, we've played two sessions and I'm off to the third in like a few minutes.)

I second that the horse-riding moves look nice, even though we haven't had a chance to use them. I also really like how the Nightshade (Skinner) and Mystic (Savvyhead) turned out. For example, An arresting skinner is called Radiant passion, and triggers from "making a show and display of passion" rather than taking clothes off. And the Mystic's ceremonial space (with choices such as a mooncatching pool, a garden of herbs, captive birds, and a labyrinth) works great. Instead of "building something or getting to the bottom of some poo poo", it is used to "find out the truth about sth, transform sth, or imbue sth with magic".

The harm system is also great. The harm countdown is the same, but the way weapon tags are used to find out how much damage you do in different situations and at different ranges is great. Vincent has said it's not going to be ported back into AW2e, but I'm seriously thinking of doing so on my own because I really like it.

All in all, I can see how you'd find it underwhelming, but it's really solid, and I recommend people check it out if you can afford the 1$ per thing patreon pledge.

Yeah, I liked it and I'm gonna let people take moves from it in regular Apocalypse World too 'cause there's some great stuff there.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Covok posted:

Funny thing is that this isn't the first one I've ever seen. My friend linked me to one and did the same horrified shock joke to one he found while on GitP a while back.

That said, this was to be expected. I mean, it's no surprise.

Hello! That's me.

The game started as a pony hack but I didn't want to do 'apocalypse world with ponies'; I wanted to make an RPG about having a really bad day, which is the narrative beat that Friendship is Magic does a lot. It has this in common with things like Hot Fuzz, The Big Lebrewski, The Wrong Mans, Shaun of the Dead, etc, and I quickly hit a point in my design where I was drawing more from the genre of 'Worst Day Ever' films than any one thing in that genre. The result is something like Apocalypse World fused with Fiasco. Take a look - not a single pony mention anywhere in the rules or fluff, I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Error 404 posted:

You can also do it without xp. Advancement based on survival, when a pc dies, everyone else takes an advancement.

Oh, that means that there are a set of monster hearts style growing up move upgrades for what happens when you're the only one left. The only 'fight back' move in the entire game is in this list, and that's the one that lets you hurt the killer.