Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
I rather like the Gallant by Timothy Schroeder. He's also done a few interesting ones, Summoner, Arcane Duelist, Cursed Knight, all on DTPRG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Could well be true. Many classes need some tuning to fit with a game.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Anyone ever heard of a hack that's about starfighter jockeys?

Or even just fighter jockeys?

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Ah, yeah, I have heard of Night Witches. Pretty cool concept.

I think what I want is something to capture BSG / Top Gun / Macross type fighter jockey groups. Can probably think of a few other sources.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

You can evoke quite a bit just from the model name of a weapon and I think brand should do the same thing.

BFG (assuming you know waht the acronym means) implies something quite powerful, perhaps unwieldy, but definitely big. Add a brand to it and it could add some more flavor.

If a player decided the brand was, "Great Goblin's Gastronomical Guns," then that BFG might have a slightly different flavor.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

I'm tempted to throw together something quick based on this. Anything in particular you were trying to get with it? I'm wondering if it should capitalize more on the fighting aspect or the pilots/interpersonal relations aspect. The latter is kind of Night Witches' thing already, though of course the flavour is very different.

I think it would cover both really. Maybe a flight/ground distinction in play might make sense. Alternatively, a game where you only play the characters while in flight might have some appeal... but it seems it would lose something essential to PBTA in inter-personal conflicts.

Most of my thoughts seem to be based on sci-fi films and anime but I know there's quite a few classic films like Raiders in the Sky, Flying Leathernecks, The Dam Busters. I'm sure there's at least a hundred more to consider.

Things I personally was thinking of are Top Gun, Macross/Robotech, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Last Exile, Knights of Sidonia, maybe a stretch but even Gundam, Mobile Police Patlabor and other mech series could be inspiring.

I think my desired take is definitely more on the lighthearted, humorous and heroic side of these concepts, almost to the point of silliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

I would check out Gunskrieggen Valkyrie from FATE: it's airplane drama + pilot drama, easily reskinned from its post WW1 setting.

Kriegszeppelin Valkyrie?