Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
If anyone is interested, I have finally got my poo poo together and updated the archetype playbooks for Malleus. The playbooks are a new one-page layout, which is a bit cramped, but I much prefer the single page. The layout and contents of the reference sheets for Moves and the GM are a work in progress, but at least I can get back to playtesting an up-to-date version of the game.

The new playbooks are here

The current WIP draft of the rules is here.

Getting a working version of the Organisation rules is the next big task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Flavivirus posted:

I will say that putting specific moves in the Other Moves slot looks a little clumsy, especially if you're only using them if you take a particular move (e.g. The Inquisitor's Fight Fire with Fire). Is there any way to put that text in the move choice column?

Yeah, it's definitely not ideal but I haven't been able to come up with a better alternative. I'm open to any suggestions you might have.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Vampire stuff...

I haven't had a chance to look properly at the stuff you posted—I am at work—but have you looked at Undying at all? If you haven't seen it, it's a diceless PbtA game drawing on similar inspiration, so you might get some use out of the concepts in there.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Covok posted:

Hey, I've been working layout on my hack, Friendship, Effort, Victory, and I'm curious how it looks so far. It's very spartan at the moment, but I'm new to layout. What do y'all think? You can find it here. It's in spread format so zoom-out.

You have a lot of widows in your text. The comments on rag at that link at worth paying attention to as well.

Edit: A link with actual advice to fix the issue.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 15, 2017

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

I'd also check out the goon-made Malleus - a goon-made gothic horor hack. While it's not exactly what you're going for, I think it'll be useful to see how to twist AW into something more adventure-actiony, while keeping the genre/narrative at the forefront. Also, since it's set in XVII-XVIII century you might find it useful to steal some weapon tags or something.

If it is of any help or interest, the latest draft of the rules is here.

The updated playbooks are here.

I'm finally back to playtesting it, so a few fairly minor changes are incoming.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

lessavini posted:

I thought that too when I was midway through the book (just 5 playbooks? Pffff) but after finishing it I think the playbooks are "weak" on purpose. I think Undying wants the player to enter a poker mindset, you know hiding his weaknesses and probing the opponents' while constantly bluffing maneuvering etc his way to the top, with his "hand" being the 4 stats: blood, debts, status and humanity. That's the crux of the game. Adding more playbooks and elaborate moves would dilute that core, I suspect, and make complex a process that seems pretty involving already ("Do I hit that patrician now that he just spent some blood to deal with the raging mob assaulting his estate? I own him a major debt though, meaning everybody will suspect it was me. And how about his allies, are they near, and if so, how much blood they have? Do I have anyone who owes me enough that would agree to help me out with such a move? ").

For what it's worth, the Plague Empire Quick Start adds an additional playbook, the Sybil.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
Does anyone have tips for writing commentary on moves for PbtA games? Or any observations about what has and hasn't helped them in move commentary.

I haven't managed to do any real serious work on Malleus in a long time, because most of the rules are in there already and most of the work left is commentary and explanation of the basic moves and GM moves etc. Whenever I sit down to write any of that, I really struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
Hey thread. I've posted a few times before about a PbtA game I have been working on for playing monster hunters in 17th century Europe (Malleus). The writing of the game is unfinished, particularly the advice and GMing stuff, but the game itself is completely playable (if in need of smoothing out). However, I haven't done anything with it maybe a year, and have stalled out pretty hard on it. I also feel like at least a generation of refinements in PbtA design have passed me by since I started working on the thing, and I feel like maybe its a bit old fashioned now.

That said, given how much I have put into it, I would like to see it as a finished thing one day. As such, I'm looking to find someone with some PbtA design/writing experience to do some work on it. I know there are a few goons who meet that description, but I'm also open to suggestions of people that might be worth approaching. To be clear, I am looking for someone to do paid work on this.