Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Is the Unicorn Knights game in the examples in Simple World based on a real game? Because I would play that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I've finally finished up a playable draft of a horror game I've been working on. It's horribly unfinished and work in progress, but there's enough to actually play a game now, so I thought I'd share it. It's a diceless take on powered by the apocalypse, it's built for one-shots, has a neat advancement mechanic, and one of my main goals was to give players something to do after their characters die, because that's always been my major flaw with horror games. So hey, take a look, maybe.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Also relevant info: Fellowship is very good and very fun and I really enjoyed the session I just finished running, so I'd recommend anyone interested try to get in on this.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Just don't make a new npc every time you need one. Reuse npcs frequently, it makes stronger triangles and makes their eventual death hit harder.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Stupid monsterhearts and its treating character like stolen cars. I ran the first session of a game today and we had an npc in the class who was an art student named Mohammad Dali, and he got loving murdered. That is one of the greatest names I've ever heard and I had to kill him.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Thanqol posted:

Also, the Monster Hearts guy is doing a heavy metal sci-fi hack

That's the Monster of the Week guy. Monsterhearts is Avery Mcdaldno, who I believe is retired.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I think PbtA can do parties working together just fine. Apocalypse World can't, it's not built for it. But if you rework the core of the game enough, you can easily achieve that style of gameplay.

Fellowship is one of my favorite rpgs, if not my #1 favorite at this point. It works where things like Dungeon World fail because it recognizes the strengths of the Apocalypse World system on a structural level, and knows how to tweak those for the genre it's trying to tell stories in. Dungeon World is a weak hack because it doesn't change enough of Apocalypse World to support it's stories about a ragtag team of adventurer's crawling through dungeons and saving the world. Fellowship from the ground up is built to support its stories about a ragtag team of heroes joining together to defeat an evil Overlord and save the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
You know, on a reread of Fellowship, it actually has a lot of rules to support player character conflict. It has rules for breaking Bonds and the Halfling can get an adventurer's contract to win arguments with party members. Overlords are also able to be played as subtle manipulators, tearing the party up. It encourages friendship and teamwork because removing all a characters bonds takes them out of the game as good as killing them, but the game absolutely wants you to play around the margins of that.