Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

RSIxidor posted:

Anyone ever heard of a hack that's about starfighter jockeys?

Or even just fighter jockeys?

I'm tempted to throw together something quick based on this. Anything in particular you were trying to get with it? I'm wondering if it should capitalize more on the fighting aspect or the pilots/interpersonal relations aspect. The latter is kind of Night Witches' thing already, though of course the flavour is very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yeah, this seems tons of fun to play. I'm still going through it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
You can only "consume" one bond at the end of each session to gain xp, and it's immediately replaced by a new one. Unless there's a rule I'm forgetting, you never actually end up with more or fewer bonds than you started with. Essentially, the bonds serve as a reminder to roleplay and explore specific topics with other party members, and a check at the end of a session whether your relationships changed. Admittedly, a lot of the starting bonds out of the box are poorly written because they feel like they can't go anywhere. Hence why "completely explored" can also resolve a bond.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ugh, I didn't fund the Masks kickstarter when it was possible, and I'm tempted to app to the many new masks games springing up here. :( Is there an ETA for when you can buy it?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ask loaded questions.

"Rogue, you seem like a gallant an dashing man. why are you hanging out with this meathead of a fighter?" Whatever the player answers, either they agree with you and give some sort of motivation for their character and set up tension (good!) or they disagree with you and you set up some sort of friendship bond with the fighter (also good!). Both of these are better than a blank, "I hadn't thought about that." So ask questions! "The captain of the guard is glaring at your party. Thief, what crime does he suspect you of? did you really commit it, or were you framed?" that kinda stuff.

If somebody is playing a dwarf, ask them if they're a city dwarf or a forest dwarf. subvert expectations. If somebody plays an elf, ask them why so many elves no longer live in trees. Etc. This makes people think about the worldbuilding themselves.

EDIT: though on the subject of worldbuilding before the first session I usually try to give everyone a feel for group dynamics (why are you raveling together?) to make sure everyone is on the same page re: character motivations and overall tone, and then fling cool ideas at each other like "oh what setting do you want? Ancient themed? Traditional high fantasy? Steampunk? You like airships? What about magitek?" etc.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 21, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

Attributes
- Station: Your social status, general reflection of relative position in society
- Grace: Your ability to act with precision and timing <-- strikes me as too much of dexterity under a different name, something I wanted to move away from.
- Valor: Acts of courage and cool headedness under fire
- Charm: Social skill and interaction in polite society
- Ingenuity: World wisdom and academic learning, logical problem solving

While by no means an expert in pbta hacks, I think you have both some missing aspects and some overlap here. Valor seems like a catch-all for basically any heroics, whereas station, grace and charm seem to completely overlap. I do like the idea of "station" as a stat.

Do you want the story to be more about what people are , what people are perceived to be or what people do? This should influence your stat choices. You can make an artistic statement if being, perception and acts are connected or completely unrelated.

E.g. I'd roll station, grace and charm into one. If you want someone who is highborn to be considered all three of these, that's very renaissance-y. Conversely I'd maybe then consider turning Valor into something more Brute-ish, with poor social standing but perhaps good martial prowess in dirty fights.

Ingenuity seems fine, maybe could be changed to pure "scholarly" as it could mean both a clergy-like reputation as well as your character actually knowing what to do. If you want to make a hard split between religious knowledge and material knowledge, or between religion and magic, you could consider that, but do know that they should be meaningful distinctions that cause conflict of sorts. If you go for the distinction, religion (or lack thereof) would probably play a more important role to a character's identity than if you roll them into one.

Personally, I would think of stats along these lines:

Noblesse: a combination of elegance and social station
Brutishness: a combination of poor social standing, ruggedness and general grit

And then two more. I think, considering the hermetic gadgets and magic you mentioned, you could go with a hard divide along those lines.

Craftiness? as a combination of guile and mechanical know-how about gadgets, machinery and other crafts you can learn. Would work for both a mad inventor as well as a thief who knows his way around lockpicks and clockworks.
Weirdness/mysticism? For all your magic, religious and general "weird" needs.

Of course you don't have to take these into account, they're just suggestions and examples of me thinking out loud. You could also take inspiration from how FATE Accelerated does things: its stats aren't what you do, but how you do it. They have stats like sneaky, flashy... etc. where theoretically anybody could do anything provided they can justify doing it in a particular way. If romance is a big part of what you want to add to the game, think of all the ways these stats/reputations/acts could help or hinder your character, and ensure that one stat isn't de facto required if you want to be involved in the romance side of the game. E.g. any hypothetical romance mechanic should have ways for your playbooks to gain or lose affection with their base stat, but perhaps with different people? Like some NPCs could really like a brutish bad boy character and others react badly to it? No idea how involved you want this to be.

I'm a huge fan of the strings mechanic in monsterhearts because it's a great synergy between game and fiction. Everyone wants to gain leverage on others and make others lose leverage on themselves, and the game moves reinforce the fact that acting like a lovely teenager in high school is the way to reach these objectives. While this might not be the tone you're looking for, think about "how do I want to simulate the romance aspect of the genre I'm emulating?" and then think "okay, how do I make my moves in such a way that the players are naturally inclined to act like characters in that fiction"? So e.g. a noble knight, perhaps old-fashioned, could publicly designate a person they seek to court with all the ramifications ensuing, as a playbook-specific way to gather affection or whatever mechanic you think of.

EDIT: also consider the way sex moves work in apocalypse world and monsterhearts. Perhaps a more genre-appropriate move like public declarations of love or w/e could have a similar high-risk/high-reward system, with players trying to maneuver towards them without risking public shame, or without giving leverage to the target of their affection or bystanders?

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 29, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I was actually considering doing some proof of concept for a game that's basically Dungeon World except more pbta. I'm not entirely sure which kind of themes I'd like to touch upon, but certainly a big part of it should be character dynamics and the dungeon as a living, breathing antagonistic force, where the cast has to actively overcome their failures as broken human beings to get out alive. Kind of darkest dungeon + apocalypse world-ish, I suppose?

EDIT: I love jojo and would be down to playtest that rhapsody of blood game

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 30, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Any interesting hacks based on air combat and ace pilots? I know Strike Witches is cool & good but it's not really about awesome dogfights necessarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Night Witches, Strike Witches is something else entirely.

In any case - Flying Circus is the answer to your question and it just finished it’s Kickstarter. It’s from the designer of Patrol so she’s done a ridiculous amount of research to back it up as well.

Oops, not sure how I even mixed those up. :psyduck:

Thanks for the link! That looks neat.