Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Heliotrope posted:

The other playbooks are being made by other people, so it would be hard to get together with everyone and make it work with all of them.

That makes more sense, but it should be backed in later in an update or in the HCH book itself. Just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I decided to update The Kid a bit. Try to give him a bit extra from just his moves, since most playbooks do that, and give him some rules for working with the Joined.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Banana Man posted:

Has there been any new content for aw? Playbooks etc?

Not particularly. After they did 2nd Edition, it looks like they went back to fooling around with AW: Fallen Empire, the official fantasy hack.

Covok
May 27, 2013

xiw posted:

It is really depressing playing in a *W game where the GM clearly hasn't read the GM section and just runs Their Adventure, because they know how to run D&D so who reads GMing advice anyway.

Okay everyone roll perception uh wait everyone roll discern realities

Tell me about it. My friend tried to Run Dungeon World once and it totally turned out like that. I sent him the GM's guide from the site and try to explain it to him and that didn't work. Total klusterfuk.

Then one of the players from that botched dungeon World game ran their own game. I didn't like the guy so I didn't play in it but I heard stories from that. He gave out tons of +1 magical item, hosed with the core resolution mechanic, punished a player for asking for a reward for saving orphans because she was "being greedy", and constantly complained his characters kept falling rolls because they couldn't meet DCs.

Ugh!

Covok
May 27, 2013

mllaneza posted:

The KS for Happiest Apocalypse on Earth. I was about to drop $10 on PDFs when,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3clxzhhz2mhk9r/HAoE-Character-Sheet.pdf?dl=0

Then Basic Moves happened. None of those have proper Triggers at all ! What is this ? Is there a good reason for it ?

Never back a game without a public demo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hey, I've been working layout on my hack, Friendship, Effort, Victory, and I'm curious how it looks so far. It's very spartan at the moment, but I'm new to layout. What do y'all think? You can find it here. It's in spread format so zoom-out.

Covok
May 27, 2013

homullus posted:

I think you maybe you mean recalcitrant rather than recailtrant

I don't love your sans-serif heading font, but maybe that's a super-anime font and I just don't know it.

Spartan, but fine and legible. I do think you need to decide right away for whom you're making this book: if they're already familiar with RPGs and PbtA, your breeze through PbtA terms is good and your "What's RPGs, Precious?" should go. If it's for anime people who have never played RPGs, your "What's RPGs, Precious?" is good and your breeze through PbtA terms is too brief and should come later (and should include some meta- and non-PbtA terms such as playbook and PC). My advice, which you didn't ask for, is to make your product as accessible to people as possible.

The sans-serif heading font is Whizbang. I'm going to buy the license later. The reason I'm using it is because of this:

It and Wild words were the closet I could find to this typeface used for Manga dialouge. It defintely like a thing Viz does. I checked some of their other manga and it seems like they jump between Whizbang and Wildword for normal dialouge, but anything yelled or the like is put a different typeface. Found examples of them using this all the way back in 1980. Regradless, Viz the people who primarily bring shonen manga over so it felt like a good fit.

You're probably right about the typo.

As for the "which should I expand part, I'd prefer if it was more accessible so I should probably expand the basic terms and concepts section. That said, I don't see why it should come later. It's probably better for people to get the basic terms going in so everything makes sense as they go through the book, no?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alright, I updated it with an expanded Basic terms and concepts section. How does that look?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

Yelling things at the table is a hallmark of a good PBTA game, I feel. I've got some plans for playtests in the near future, for now I've been relying on other people playtesting it for me. Well, one other person.

From experience, having other people play test for you is superior to play testing yourself. The reason is that you're not there to correct things so you know exactly how another group AKA customers will respond to what you wrote.

Covok
May 27, 2013

All that happens is your phone gets an error titled "2spoopy4me" and refuses to open the text.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ewen Cluney posted:

It's called The DnD Zone, and it's very silly and has lots of random tables. It's about ready to start playtesting, and I'm hoping that (1) the conceit of playing gamers playing a game isn't hopelessly confusing in practice and (2) the moves for stuff like arguing with the DM don't make the game unpleasant to play.

https://twitter.com/nekoewen/status/946084915883286528
https://twitter.com/nekoewen/status/930909267019800576
https://twitter.com/nekoewen/status/928393145548554240

Hate to be that guy, but are you going to kick start that Dragon World game?

Also, this looks loving cool.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 1, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

There's Sagas of the Icelanders. (Rulebook Heavily, whom I believe is Icelandic, has some sharp criticism of its historicity.)

Can you explain what that was because my friend really took a lot of its historical interpretation to heart? Not to come off as a jerk, but my friend can be such a know-it-all that it is a little fun to point out when he's wrong for believing reading TRPGs or something nerdy makes him an expert on it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

lessavini posted:

Anyone know some hack for Glorantha or Dragon Pass? I'm playing the Six Ages videogame and keep thinking a PbtA hack for this would rock.

I think something in the vein of Sagas of the Icelanders, with Bonds to gods/cults, social expectations like Honor moves, and some simple clan resource management, could be a good start. From there, maybe adopt Legacy generational stuff or similar and it could end up pretty interedting.

I also see the Savvyhead Workshop as a great fit to myths and heroquests.

Well I don't know of any powered by the apocalypse ones, but 13th age just released their Source book specifically for dragon's path and that's a pretty good game.

Edit: Perhaps not the best place to mention that. So I suppose you could also hacked Fellowship. I thought this was the chat thread at first.

Covok
May 27, 2013

madadric posted:

Hello folks! It's been a hot minute since I posted about my PBTA hack in this thread, but I have some big news.

Impulse Drive is live now on Kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1743149756/impulse-drive

Impulse Drive is a space opera roleplaying game about Misfits and Spaceships, using the Powered By The Apocalypse engine, popularized by games like Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts, Dungeon World, and Masks. Play as a crew of volatile, bombastic scoundrels and troublemakers as they navigate dangerous situations involving deadly environments, untrustworthy NPCs, and strange aliens.

This campaign will raise the funds to pay some very skilled professionals familiar with RPG design and Kickstarter funded publishing and turn Impulse Drive into a fully realized Print on Demand book, printed and distributed through Drivethu RPG.

Impulse Drive is rules complete. If you want to check the game out before backing, the Preview version of Impulse Drive is available through Drivethru now. This link will always have an art-free version of the most up to date rules available as Pay What You Want, so that people who cannot afford to buy the game can still play.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/190933/Impulse-Drive-Preview

I also wanted to say thanks to all the folks who have given me feedback on Impulse Drive specifically, but also for the design discussion in this thread that helped develop the game. Thanks everybody!

Good luck to you, bro. I hope it all works out for you. Threw you 50 AUS for the hardcover. Hope you make your goal! I'd cross post this in the Kickstarter Thread.

Also, apparently, 50 AUS is only 35 USD.

Covok
May 27, 2013

madadric posted:

It's the last few hours of the Impulse Drive Kickstarter!

we've nearly hit $14,500!
Thank you everyone who has contributed so far with pledges, sharing the kickstarter, discussing the game, and following. I can't believe how many folks have shown excitement for this game and I'm truly moved. I'd love for us to unlock the next stretch goal, so please continue to share the kickstarter and hype up your friends for space opera adventures!

As we come in to the last few hours of the kickstarter, there's time for the final push to get all the art from the wonderful illustrator Claudia Cangini. Once the campaign is complete, I'll be sending out surveys for preferred names in the thank you section of the book, and contact emails for download codes from Drivethru RPG when the files are ready.

I forgot to say this earlier, but congratulations on getting funded man. Look forward to the finished product.

I really should do the same with friendship effort Victory soon. I still think there's a market for shown in battle comic role playing game using this engine.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Any suggestions on updating the OP?

Edit: I just reread the original post and now I'm unsure if I knew how to speak English at the time, even though I'm a native speaker. Holy hell.

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 30, 2019

Covok
May 27, 2013

I've spent the last two days reading 180 chapters of My Hero Academia from issue 1 to issue 180. I have a shonen jump account so I'm limited to 100 chapters per day. just got to get to issue 232, which I can feasibly do this week. Then I move on to Doctor Stone.

The point is that Phoenix Academy seems like a fun setting for Masks. Though, it is funny to think how different it would be to set it in America. Set it in America and you lose so much considering how little Americans care about High School.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Capfalcon posted:

Edit: also, lol @ america not caring about high school

In Japan, high schools are treated more like college. You have to take entrance exams and your high school placement is considered as important as your choice in university. That doesn't mean college is unimportant, of course. And, sure, there are private high schools, "good" schools, "bad schools", charter schools, etc in America. But, a lot of people in America just go to the high school assigned to their geographic region based on zoning. And, while people can see the value in a good high school, university is where most Americans worry about such things. And very few high schools have entrance exams in America. Most kind of view high school in America as a given, unless extraneous life factors arise. But, from my understanding, you could flunk the exams for every high school in Japan and end up hosed.

A lot of this is because high school is compulsory in America and is not compulsory in Japan.

Covok fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 8, 2019

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I know i've already spammed it in some discords, but I commissioned some art for my wrestler for WWW and it came out pretty well:

You got to drop dat artists name, man. I need to know who I can comis for stuff like dat.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ilor posted:

Hey, so is the official "Barf Forth Apocalyptica" forum on Vincent's site gone for good? If so, I wish someone would have warned me. I would have archived some of my ramblings from there before it went offline.

It does appear to be gone. However, I'm gonna make your day. It appears that the Wayback Machine archived it. You can try to find what you need that way.

General Archive: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/

Last Backup: http://web.archive.org/web/20190721033301/http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kaja Rainbow posted:

So I'm thinking about doing quick custom homebrew pbta systems for future games I'll be running. Design the basic moves, agenda/principles/GM moves, stuff like that. No playbooks, instead I'll work with the players to design moves specifically for their characters. This is in part because some of my players prefer more freeform character generation than playbooks provide for.

The top of my docket is a Ranma 1/2 inspired game. Any suggestions for games to pillage for inspiration?

Well, this is an interesting situation. I guess great minds think alike. A while back, when I was in a darker place, I did make a game like this. It's not a pbta game though. It's more like a dog-eat-dog game or a quiet year game. However, I could help you. It's a little bit darker though. I was in a bit of a dark spot. But it does go for the concept of a queer take on Ranma 1/2.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zlG762QwK0rWPS7HhRDe7EqMxCx1Z6YaxRzwG2uy5i8/edit?usp=drivesdk

Covok
May 27, 2013

lessavini posted:

I've just brewed this for Kult. Weirdly, there's no official charsheet in playbook format (only in the "classic" vertical format where you fill in the descriptions yourself). The problem here is that Kult has too many moves (and verbose ones!), so I'll probably need 3 pages to fit in all Advantages and Disadvantages.

Front

Back

This is great layout. You just made this? This looks professional.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kind of amazing that The Watch RPG can have a nice section explaining why trans women are women and trans men are men and thus the groups are affected by the Shadow as such and yet a professional comic writer cannot do so and defines all women by their ability to menstruate, literally.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I never made sheets for anything. Not eve my own game. I am grape jelly for those sheets.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Intersitial: Our Hearts Intertwined is supposed to be Kingdom Hearts the RPG. The free preview makes me thinks its lacking. Why? All of the rules are in that preview because, according to the table of contents, they spend NO time explaining the rules in any detail. That speaks to...issues in the development process. That said, to those who played it, how good is it? The idea of "you are a bunch of licensed characters hoping into licensed worlds to save them" is a cool concept.

Covok
May 27, 2013

madadric posted:

Impulse Drive goes for a space opera flavour. You can get the full rules for free or get the pretty art PDFon my Drivethru & Itch, or or hard copies through Drivethru.

The pretty art PDF is even 1/2 price right now on Itch, so you can grab it for $7.50

https://adrian-thoen.itch.io/

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/5316/Adrian-Thoen

Impulse Drive is a cool game. I have a physical copy of it. It's kind of for that "Starship crew of misfits" design. You know, like Firefly. It's a cool game and, since its on sale, you should check it out.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

I'm still reading through the thread, are there any other PBTA games that use a "combine two playbooks" set up like Spirit of '77? I think that's a really cool way to build characters, and I'd like to see if there are any other ways that was done.

Worlds In Peril uses a Drive Playbook and Origin Playbook system to make your superhero.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I might have asked this before, but is Interstitial crap? Because I heard it has next to no GM advice in the book and too many playbooks.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I don't believe I posted these earlier.

Friendship, Effort, Victory is a shonen jump pbta game that started on these forums back in 2015. It found a publisher this year in Far Horizons Co-operative, an awesome publisher and one where I previously worked with on their small games digest for Crying Fantasy Friends and Shaping The Stars.

FEV is inspired by Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, My Hero Academia and other Shueshia Battle Comics aimed at young teens. I'm not the best at selling myself or my work so apologies in advance if this explanation is messy. Essentially, it uses the narrative mechanics of PbtA to emulate the frantic battles and melodrama of these manga series. To that end, the moves focus on what matters in and out of battle: the characters and their drama.

The basic and battle moves try to keep the camera on the drama. The miniutia of battle is mostly narrative, until a dramatic moment that would warrant a splash page or a two page spread. You are pushed and pulled by the drama, not combat statistics or action economy. The moves only kick in at moments of narrative relevance, like the first time you transform in a battle, when you use your final attack as a desperate final charge, or when you try to prove the ideology of your foes wrong.

The playbooks pull from some common archetypes, including some that people called me wacky for using. From someone wrestling with an inner demon to someone with a tragic backstory seeking revenge to a childlike idiot to a vice led mentor to a pathetic loser who always gets their rear end beat to inspire others and so on, the playbooks try to emulate the most common tropes of the genre. Some examples follow:

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1443032672956203013?s=20

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1436734362062622732?s=20

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1434917854332264453?s=20

I'm open to any questions.

Recently, I was interviewed on Scheduled For Launch about the game: https://podcasts.apple.com/ee/podcast/tabletop-kamala-friendship-effort-victory-sh%C5%8Dnen-pride/id1552006027?i=1000537593158

The book is set to be sent for final layout on December 10th. We are hoping for a late December release. Due to the global crisis, we will likely need to delay a physical release until prices stablize.

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1482079452121243648

HOT-BLOODED YOUTHS!

TENSE MELODRAMA!

SHONEN ACTION!

Join the fray in Friendship, Effort, Victory, a shonen battle manga tabletop roleplaying game. Inspired by works such as Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, My Hero Academia, and other battle manga, Friendship, Effort, Victory uses the acclaimed Powered By The Apocalypse Engine to deliver the flashy, dynamic battles and intense, climatic drama of those sensational works. 

• Choose from 11 classic archetypes to quickly and easily make your character. From the overly cheerful, friendmakers to the angsty, vengeful loners to the fiery, unpredictable rivals, your characters will feel like they would fit right into your favorite stories. 

• Friendship, Effort, Victory subtly guides players to the themes and key moments of classic battle manga by guiding conflict resolution with simple mechanics. 

• The dual health system keeps battles tense and emotional. Characters have the ability to buy off their physical damage by taking emotional damage in its place. Death only comes when a character chooses to accept its embrace. When that time comes, accepting death gives the character a burst of power and a second wind that ensures the hero goes out in a blaze of glory.

• No one is ever left out of the fight. In a genre known for amazing one-on-one battles, players may worry they could be left out. The spectating mechanics allows non-combatants to offer support to any match, even if they aren’t present for the scene. At any time, non-combatant can introduce how their character is interpreting the fight, giving characters bonuses, buffs, and debuffs as makes sense. 

• The Arcs, General, and Villain systems keep the world dynamic and the threats serious. The Arcs system manages many different threats the world faces due to the Villains mechaniations. The General and Villain system ensures that Villains never fall easily and keep the Sagas from ending too soon. Through the plot armor the Villain system provides, Villains always feel like a major threat. By making the Generals key to removing that plot armor and making the Villains vulnerable, stories grow horizontally. Instead of a mad dash to the Villain, heroes focus on their own matchups, knowing that their victories against the Generals take the team closer to ultimate victory. 

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1484189028824006659?s=20

And we're live with the PDF!

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/KamalaKaraA1/status/1545200831422676992?s=20&t=-ukxT-g_pNaqgd3FKDcGdA

Covok
May 27, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Do you have a Google Sheet or Roll20 or Foundry etc. for character sheets and whatnot?

No, we don't. I didn't think about that when I recruited for the project originally for the co-op.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tulip posted:

Picked up the bundle and read it; I liked it! It took me a minute to really put together that PCs in fact do not have stats, and I'm not super into shonen battle manga (I'm into josei slice of life), but it makes sense to me, like the point of having stats is to distinguish PCs on things they succeed and fail at, but in principle in like DBZ people are just as strong as they need to be at that narrative moment. There's theoretically an underlying set of power levels e.g. Goku is stronger, but in practice success has less to do with that than what they need and how they express it in the moment. So I think it was a cool thing here! The Awakening is cool as a concept and how its presented. I do kind of wish there was a little more explanation for techniques? Maybe I missed it, I did read it pretty quick, but it feels like something that's really important to have guidelines and inspiration on.

It's funny you bring up techniques. I was talking with my friend about that yesterday. Techniques feel half baked because they're a corpse of a former mechanic. Nowadays, like with my new game Petmon, I throw every half baked idea in an "optional rules section" so people can try to make it work if they like the idea. Back then, I cut them out.

Combat used to have a mechanic called Tension. Tension represented the current dramatic flair of the fight. Tension was expressed in a number between 1 and 5 and would naturally go up as a battle continued. Techniques had Tags. Tags were narrative abilities that gave wider narrative power. There were also bad tags that would apply limits to the power. Your net Technique had a Tension Score and a Technique could only be used if its Tension Score was equal to or less than the current Tension.

However, I never could make the system balance out and it ultimately added very limit since it was all narrative with no mechanic effect. Ultimately, I cut my losses and made Techniques purely descriptive in nature.

When (well, if) I do the book of knock off settings I have planned, I might reintroduce the ideas an optional rule.

If you like, here is an unofficial One Piece playset I made for the game that shows a bit of how the rules can be stretched to fit a setting: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VdCURAGPrS1zv-TOk4xVQzIxDQ73kckHziEwzwFI2zM/edit?usp=drivesdk

Edit: Also, I really, really appreciate you taking time to buy and read the game and support a good cause.

I am glad you enjoyed what you read. The no stat system took a long time to decide on. I tried SO MANY different systems over and over and none of them ever felt right ever. I just couldn't feel satisfied with any of the stat arrays. Finally, I cut it out and the game got a lot, lot better. And you are exactly right as to why: stats don't matter too much to a shonen work. It's about expression more so than aptitude. While PbtA has always been about stats that reflect characteristics rather than physical traits, it feels off when a narrative that's always so loosey goosey on power levels and focuses more on narrative role gets so influenced by stats.

Regardless, thank you buying the bundle.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 11, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

world wide wrestling is an incredible game that properly captures pro wrestling.

I bought this like a day before the bundle released but the system seems super cool!

I'll make sure to report back to the thread when I actually get around to running it.

Yeah, my bad on that. I didn't know this bundle existed because I don't control the itch account. Then, when I found out, the co-op had to vote. Then, I waited for it to actually be approved into the bundle by the itch peeps because it was sitting in queue for like 3 days and I didn't want to say it was in until I was sure to avoid looking a fool.

So, yeah, sorry about that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

If you liked my game Friendship, Effort, Victory, the shonen battle manga inspired Powered By The Apocalypse Tabletop RPG I have been mucking around with the idea of a campaign using an old setting I never got to used inspired by Bleach. It is based on Christian mythology. I tried to run a Valor game in it once, but it never got off the ground. Even if you don't care about the setting, I used this as a chance to put some alternate rules for Battle as a way of maybe testing out some ideas for a 2nd edition or supplement down the line.

The link is down below if you want to check it out yourself.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1knPvyEqwq6cg_KAXHoPcokfaTvS9Cy17iz47rxg8Mhg/edit?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tulip posted:

Here's my suggestion:

(aka Legends of the Elements)

Why "Legend of the Elements" and not the official Avatar game, "Avatar Legends?"