Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I have a Masks question, specifically for the Beacon. Their 'No powers and not nearly enough training' keeps tripping me up. Let's say I pick 'martial arts' and 'acrobatics' as my two abilities, take the move and then select 'bow and arrows.' Is it then locked in? There doesn't seem to be any way to swap it out, and it would be kind of a big deal to have three abilities so it's not a big deal if so.

The rest of the move I get, but I'm not sure when it kicks in. Using Mundane for stuff you probably have crappy ratings in is well and good, but is it every fight? Session?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heliotrope posted:

No, it's not locked in. You swap it out by picking up another piece of gear and writing it in. The move only kicks in the first time you use the new item for Directly Engaging, Unleashing Your Powers, or Defending Someone. After that it doesn't give that benefit anymore so you'll want to get something else.

Thanks. The phrasing really tripped me up, probably because I was thinking about it too hard.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 14, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been thinking about running Masks and while it's a pretty broad subject, I wouldn't mind hearing anybody's tips on how to make it work. One I already know is encouraging people to pick the playbook for the story, not the powers, which helped me as a player but what's some stuff to keep in mind behind the screen?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Merilan posted:

I found Chapters 7-9 in the Masks Core to have really good advice, both for Masks in the specific themes that it's going for but also for PbtA games in general; that said I do agree that reading Apocalypse World and other progenitors helps give you a view into the kind of things that are common between PbtA hacks (like the conversation, and playing to find out what happens, etc.).

Heliotrope posted:

The designer of Masks wrote a two part article on picking the right moves in PbtA games, but it focuses on Masks for the examples and is pretty good food for thought when you're running the game:

https://www.magpiegames.com/2016/03/17/picking-the-right-gm-move-in-pbta-part-one/

https://www.magpiegames.com/2016/03/31/picking-the-right-gm-move-in-pbta-part-two/

These are both great suggestions, thank you. The bit from the designer himself explains handily why the very first Masks game I was in flopped as the GM felt like he was trying to run it more like like, say, Mutants and Masterminds but with PbtA rules. Very little conversation between characters but a lot of "I look for clues, so I'll roll Superior" (or whatever).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does anybody have any experience with Worlds in Peril? It seems like more of a 'standard' supers game in the PbtA engine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does anybody have any strong opinions on the non-base book Playbooks for Masks? Like the Reformed feels like its job is done better by the Scion, but that's all from me just looking at it and not playing it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Golden Bee posted:

Reformed is real bad. Most of the moves feel like you can use them one time before it becomes your weird gimmick. All the other playbooks are amazing*.

*The harbinger has some great concept but it needs better moves. It’s all stat replacement!

Cool. Like piercing the mask on a villain seems useful enough and I guess clearing a condition with shoplifting is fun, but the other Moves just kinda baffled me. Buffing your Danger at the 'cost' of talking about past crimes isn't bad but it feels like you do that too much and you start to descend into parody.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arivia posted:

Hi PbtA thread! I'm starting a new RPG group and I'm wondering what the new hotness is for PbtA games. I want to provide people with some diverse options to choose between. My current list is Apocalypse World, Fellowship, Legacy, Masks, Monster of the Week, The Sprawl, Urban Shadows, City of Mist, and Blades in the Dark. (I've intentionally left Monsterhearts and Dungeon World off the list.) Am I missing any notable, good games?

The sci-fi version of Blades Scum and Villainy, maybe?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I've hit on the hook for my Masks game. Drawing from the dimly remembered comics Noble Causes and Dynamo 5, the gimmick is everybody will be the newest generation of a superhero family. Do any playbooks leap out at people as being untenable for such a thing?

The only one that immediately doesn't seem to work is the Janus... but now that I think about that, as long as it's not their family they're hiding from (instead focusing on school and 'real' life) then that could work. The Outsider might be odd too, but... adoption? Foster kid?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GodFish posted:

Superhero family for the Janus could be trying to get out of the profession, or don't let their kids start until they've hit 18, something like that. Traditional sidekick family but they want to be a proper hero.

Yeah, I like that. I really like the idea of the Beacon as the who got skipped when it came to powers (at least flashy ones) and are basically the "which one are you?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If you're down with idea of teenage supers struggling to come into their own, Masks succeeds pretty well with a few hitches along the way when it comes to later playbooks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

lessavini posted:

What's the problem with later playbooks? I'm taking a look at some and finding em really cool (the Harbinger comes to mind).

Some are mechanically kinda bad (like the Brain). Reformed feels like the worst. Scion does its gig better.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ilor posted:

Whatever for? I'm not sure I wanna live in an apocalypse without courtroom drama.

"I'm out of order? Ever since the bombs fell the whole WORLD is out of order!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Demigods went live (and is already funded) which is a PbtA 'play the children of the gods in the modern setting' deal. I've seen an AP of it and it seems solid.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heliotrope posted:

This sounds neat, are there any examples of playbooks or something for backers? I'll check out the examples of play and set it to remind me to donate until I get an idea for how it works.

Here you go. There's a link to the Quickstart at the bottom.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm bring Root, Masks, and World Wide Wrestling to play with goons. Maybe more, join the Gencon thread/discord.

There's a wrestling PbtA game? That's... cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GimpInBlack posted:

Yeah, they're not gonna get that from Masks, it's not that kind of game--you might try looking at Sentinel Comics: The Role-Playing Game, that's still very rules-light but is much more about "I have Super Strength d10 and will roll that to punch Dr. Malevolence in his stupid cyborg face." Or if they want something crunchier you could look at Wild Talents or Mutants and Masterminds or, God help you, Champions, I guess. But if your players are set on wanting their powers to have mechanical weight, Masks probably isn't the system for them.

Right. Masks is for telling stories about young people struggling with identity that just so happen to have super powers and maybe fight the odd mechanical dinosaur. Trying to leverage your best Unleash Powers roll or similar isn't going to work out so well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bewilderment posted:

Yeah, a lot of the point is that the Nova really is probably the 'strongest' and the Beacon really does have niche powers at best, and it's up to the characters how they deal with that.

It's entirely possible for a Beacon to manage to max out their Danger stat but not be able to directly engage a particular threat (at least, not without the Suck It move) because like, dude, you are throwing arrows or martial arts at a guy made out of living fire, you are not capable of actually engaging this enemy. The whole point of the Beacon as a playbook is how they deal with being at that lower level but trying to keep up and be useful anyway in other ways.

There's a lot of fun Hawkeye stories (Clint or Kate, pick one, or both) that can help with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Isn't there a thing in Masks on how you shouldn't have two of the same playbook?