Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Before I read all 67 pages of this thread (which I'm happy to do): is this a thread for discussing Spire and other "descended" from the Apocalypse games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

unseenlibrarian posted:

Spire has apparently gotten its own toolkit for making descendant games on that note, the Resistance toolbox. https://rowanrookanddecard.com/resistance-toolbox-now-available/

And there's a Cyberpunk hack in the works based on that. https://mobile.twitter.com/IronsparkSyris/status/1075182970800037888

Oh, I know. I'm just trying to figure out the thread to bring it up.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

mllaneza posted:

It's time for a Spire/Resistance thread.

Not it !

Oh man, that requires a whole introduction to the game / line, bordering on F&F, huh? Okay, I'll get on it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
As a GM, I feel like I'm always struggling with the balance between "my character concept means I would have *this* gear on me" and "my character concept is 'I have a gently caress-ton of gear on me and am always prepared for everything'".

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

mllaneza posted:

Don't go to extremes, the F&F was very thorough. Here:

Spire is an ancient artifact of unknown purpose or provenance.
Spire is a drow city, two miles tall.
Spire was conquered by the high elves two centuries ago.
Spire will be freed by the Ministry of the Forbidden Goddess.
That's you.

Phew. I might just post a link to the F&F, as it was thorough. Just state the existence of some Spire-adjacent stuff like Ascendancy, Resistance Toolbox, and move on.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So I like Powered by the Apocalypse mechanics, but don't like inter-party disharmony, and don't want to play Dungeon World, I should play...

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is there a page I can go to to read what Goons think about Worlds in Peril? If I want *World, supers, and not teens.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Serf posted:

overindulgence isn't that bad once you realize you can just bring in a different character. which is fine, i loved seeing my players come up with new characters that would then become recurring

Yeah, the natural loop in Blades seems to be

• Optional: Be Desperate
  • Get 1 in every Skill
  • Overindulge
  • Swap to other character

You don't gain XP as much, but if you're Desperate all the time you'll ramp up fast.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
There's definitely a lot of mechanical incentive to do things for the betterment of your character(s) to the detriment of your crew. "Don't be a dick", etc., but since "being desperate" often comes across as being heroic and cool, it can be hard to trace the "well, we're hosed now" back to two hours ago when Amanda fought those thugs on a rooftop by lighting a ghost on fire and using it as a weapon.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm not sure how a Disco Elysium PbtA hack would work, but sign me up.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm thinking about running Legacy 2E. (I'm also thinking about porting it to Cortex Prime, but that's a separate question.)

What resources should I be aware of? I've read the book, cover to cover. I've assembled a decent collection of PbtA books, though my only experience (outside of the separate Forged in the Dark family) with getting PbtA to the table was a decent-length game of Dungeon World.

Are there compelling playthroughs? Reviews? Anything outside the book and general knowledge I should know going in?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Thank you!

I have read

* Apocalypse World (1E & 2E)
* Dungeon World (run ~15 sessions)
* Monsterhearts, Masks, The Sprawl (all in passing)
* Fellowship 2E (in depth read)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Some questions about Legacy as I dig in...

- Family Trials and Fortunes (Turning of the Age) - the stats only seem to go up. Does this make the game tenable in the long run? How many ages do Legacy games usually run for?
- So a character can start with any combination of basic gear? And they can start with Followers 0 if they want? In the example of chargen, the character decides to start with Followers; their family gets none and they get +2 Quality because they're an Elder. So any character could, in theory, start with Quality 0 Followers? How do they narratively pursue more?
- One of my players asked about Backer Playbooks. I haven't looked at them yet. How are they? How risky to allow them in a first game where we're bad at assessing their relative narrative juice / mechanical weight? - Apparently these were playbooks in Engine of Life / The End, which I don't have, so moot.
- Can I create a Family playbook during character creation as a Faction? (Both as an example, and also so players have a Faction built into their history.)

Edit:

quote:

At some point you may want to bring the game to a close – Legacy is designed to run for between a couple and a half dozen ages, and there’s only so long you can improve the post-apocalyptic world before it becomes something else.

McJanda answered my first question.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 2, 2020

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

paradoxGentleman posted:

The only backer playbook that I'd be wary of is the Stranded Starfarers. My impression is that they're more powerful than the others, and I think the idea is that that is supposed to make people want to gang up against them?

They're in the core book! But duly noted.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Thank you - duly noted.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Probably going to pick up Apocalypse Keys. Went back a few pages in the thread, didn't see a mention. Anybody have thoughts and/or feelings?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Bought Apocalypse Keys last night and tore through it. Looks fantastic, though I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get it to the table for this rotation. Might be a little too much emotional intimacy for one of my group.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Apocalypse Keys CCYA license leads me to believe it would be okay for people to write mysteries for it, but I'm not seeing anything on itch.io.

Any reason why the game wouldn't have more third party support?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

JMBosch posted:

Hasn't it only been out for barely over a month? Also, what license is CCYA?

Sorry, CC BY SA. Fast typing.

quote:

The text of this work is offered under a CC BY SA 4.0 license, meaning that you are free to distribute the text and to adapt it within the scope of the license, which requires attribution and that you share your adaptations under similar terms. In your attribution, please credit the author, Rae Nedjadi, and the publisher, Evil Hat Productions, LLC. The text of this work is additionally offered under a license having the terms of CC BY SA 4.0, except: (1) if the Adapted Material is a literary work (such as an RPG book), then the Adapter’s License need only be applied to the text (not, for instance, illustrations) and (2) you must include this and the following sentence in your licensing terms. The CC BY SA 4.0 license is available at creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Tulip posted:

Yea the Wicked Ones magic system is really good IMO. Arguably a bit too flexible? But that's tweakable.

Yeah, Wicked Ones requires a relationship where the players are okay with the GM saying "No", because while every type of magic has their "thing", a creative player will accomplish anything with the right description and you need the GM to curtail that a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Kicking off a Brindlewood Bay campaign tonight. Anything special I need to be aware of beyond the usual PbtA guidance? Especially interested to hear from people who have run it as more than a one-shot.