Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Also it's been mentioned since page one, but it's not in the OP still.

Uncharted Worlds. Preview files (from that site).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The Sprawl maybe? Kickstarter page. Which was also mentioned on page 1 apparently, and sounds neat. I can't find preview files or anything for it offhand.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Seems okay so far, still going through it. Likely give it a better look tomorrow.
Small editing errors I've noticed: Page 43, in Fleshknitter "wound or r a physical injury" remove the " r "
Also page 43, Sense8ive should be Sensitive unless it's a reference I'm just missing!

Also you talk about using stats (Approaches) long before you ever talk about what they are. They're part of the way you interface with the world and the moves don't make as much sense without knowing them. You should put them up front.

Same thing with Substitute Harm, you talk about being able to trade Harm for Calamity, but this is the first we're hearing of Calamity, so it's awkward.

Don't get me wrong though, I like what you're doing, and it's nice to have another option besides Uncharted Worlds for a space PbtA game!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Something that might be helpful madadric is turning on Commenting for your link sharing. Then people can suggest changes directly on the document.
Especially for small/trivial things... like why have Warp Space use a 2 day measurement instead of a 1 day? I realize changing it to 75 in 1 day makes it less fuel efficient, but the other methods all use X per day measurements. And unless people get caught up in the minutia of light year distances, I don't think the lost fuel efficiency would come into play much. [Edit] I must be too tired to read this, as I looked multiple times and somehow kept reading 1 day instead of 3 for sub-space. The numbers are fine as they are really. Though I'm not totally convinced we need specific numbers still, I do like the three types of drives in concept.

And I thought it might have been a Sense8 reference, it seemed too strange to have been an actual typo, but I didn't see how it related other than vaguely (having not watched the show yet) so I mentioned it just incase =-p

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 13, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I was just thinking something like
Sub-Space: When you need to only travel a short distance, spend 3 days in space and consume 1 unit of fuel. A moderate distance is 9 days and 3 fuel. Long distance is 27 days and 9 fuel.
Hyperspace: Short = 1 day/fuel. Moderate = 3 day/fuel. Long = 9 days/fuel.
Warp = Long distance or less is 2 days and 1 fuel. -- This may need Extreme as a second option, with the other ones clearly not being meant for such distant travel. You can go farther than anyone, but the risk is high.

And then rolling for effect, so if you take Sub-Space a long distance you're consuming a ton of resources which makes it even riskier to select double resource usage. But it's clearly not a great option for really long distances anyways. The idea being that it's easy to have a sense of whether a destination is close/moderate/far (or close/far/extreme whatever), but you don't need to remember or calculate light years, just the relationship between objects.

[Edit] Basically taking a cue from the abstract nature of weapon distances and applying that to space travel, instead of having to rely on a bunch of distance numbers and calculations.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 14, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Depends on what kind of mech game you mean! Battle tech or whatever then yeah pimping out your mech can be the appeal for people. If it's more anime style, then doing crazy stunts and saving the world (from your best friend of course) would work just fine stat-lite. Even the former can focus on the politics.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It seems pretty perfect for the Super Powered Mecha style though. Since that's very similar to super hero stuff in my limited experience.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What are you not understanding about it specifically?
They're big permanent things that happen to your character.
Staring Into The Abyss can cause a Calamity.
The final Calamity is Death.
Each playbook has it's own list of Calamities.

Mutually exclusive:
You can trade any number of incoming Harm for 1 permanent Calamity instead if you want.
You can trade a Calamity for 1 Harm.

[Edit] Also under the heading of Inspired by PbtA we have Headspace, which is a take on a Cyberpunk future. It's less inspired by Shadowrun and more by Cyberpunk 2020, system wise it's heavily inspired by PbtA games. Adam Koebel is doing a cool setting stretch goal for it. And it sounds really interesting. The main gimmick is that your team is connected via a Headspace, a shared consciousness mindnet thing (with no Off switch), that lets you share skills, but also means you share emotions and such too, even in death a lingering part of consciousness persists. So you have both interesting mechanical and story benefits from it.

Playbooks: The Handler, Infiltrator, Ronin, Runner, Tech, Whitecoat

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 21, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I assume this, it's a scheduling tool of some sort. From the example, you can have everyone say when they're free and get a numerical readout at the bottom for how many people can make it for that block, so you can try and find the most convenient time for everyone more easily.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It's not a bad place but there is a Blades thread.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What specific aspects of Hunter are you wanting to keep?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Covok posted:

He means my google docs page, but I could make an IRC group if people want.

Or you could even move up to 2014 or so and just make a Discord channel =-p

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I was mostly being silly. It's largely the same thing, just upgraded in about every way. Easy access control, more fully featured text support, unfurling, server-less user for PMing and such. Solid apps for every platform/web app as well. Hooks up to Twitch/YouTube so you can auto join channels you have access to for being a sub. Replaces Vent too. It's largely taking over as the communication tool for gamers outside of close friends (where you'd still use skype since it's got the best voice/video chat). But ultimately whatever you can get people to actually use is going to be the most beneficial, regardless of anything else.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

He released the test version for his $10/month Patreon subscribers, presumably issuing updates too.

quote:

Pledge $10 or more per month
114 patrons
Get all of the above, I'll give you early access to bits of the setting bible as it gets made. This could be stuff like lore cards. In addition, I'll give you access to play test copies of the RPG as it gets made.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

No idea what will be in it, but Monsterhearts 2nd Edition is getting a kickstarter released on Halloween for those of you dig it!

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 27, 2016

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Nope, only thing I know is the tweet about it being put up on Halloween: https://twitter.com/skittishgorgon/status/790636584827654144

I just figure there's enough people here who seem to like it, that they'd want to keep an eye out for it.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 27, 2016

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7GSTudpZx8

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Speaking of 2E, looks like Misscliks will be doing a 2E series starting tonightJanuary 5th.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 16, 2016

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Because all RPGs are basically the same. It's just what setting they're in. You roll your D20, check against a DC, and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

And you can choose to expend stress (a limited HP like resource) to minimize or eliminate (group choice, it's one of the levers for tweaking the game) the consequence of a weaker roll. Note that 4-5 is a consequence, it can be Harm, but it can be a large number of other things (worse position, collateral damage, not getting everything you wanted, etc).