Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I'm a fan of the "I am a adjective noun" style of chargen. It doesn't work for every genre, but it can lead to some interesting character types through what seem at the time like random combinations.

The old Danger Patrol alpha draft did the same thing.

I've got a Not Star Trek PbtA game that does exactly this. The only balancing act is trying to have enough interesting adjectives for regular people so that we don't end up with a crew of Alien, Clone, Telepath, and Cyborg.

Edit: A similar idea is in Uncharted Worlds, but that game commits the most common PbtA sin: it tries to be everything instead of promoting a specific kind of fiction. Eleven freaking basic moves.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just looked it up; it was 23 for a Battle Royale/Hunger Games style game. A few of them aren't even rolled, they're "when you do X, you get Y" but still.

Fix It Up, Act Despite Danger, Affect Emotions, Find Safety, Put On a Show, gently caress Them Up

Aid or Interfere, Spend Favor, Die

That's six basic moves and three auxiliary moves that cover everything you can do up there and it's just off the top of my head.

Edit: I just don't understand how the Conversation works with this game. "I try to get the bomb out of her chest." "It sounds like you're...trying to get the bomb out of someone?"

Zurui fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 26, 2015

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I've been working on a PbtA hack/game/thing called Looking Glass. It's a game about traveling through a "Mirror" with your friends and find adventures there. I use cards instead of dice and so I've adjusted the numbers there. Some of the MC duties go to the Anchor and then each player has a Foil who handles all of the hard moves and sticky results. I have the basic moves and a lot of description finished but there's a lot left to do. (Anchor and Foil moves and advancement, most notably.)

I'd really appreciate some feedback on the basic moves and mechanics. If you want to tell me what I've done wrong, the draft document is here!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I have an ongoing Trek-based project, but it turns out I bit off a touch more than I'm used to chewing in attempting a Danger Patrol-style Adjective Noun character system.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

DemonMage posted:

Nope, only thing I know is the tweet about it being put up on Halloween: https://twitter.com/skittishgorgon/status/790636584827654144

I just figure there's enough people here who seem to like it, that they'd want to keep an eye out for it.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I think the asexuality rules are pretty bad. They go against one of the core themes of the game, where you aren't in control of your identity. It also doesn't really give you a good way to get strings unless you go with the dumb custom rules, so it's not great mechanically.

Monsterhearts' biggest strength is its laser focus on the theme. The carnal, savage metaphor at its core is designed to make you and your characters a little uncomfortable. (That's why we have the X card.) There might be a game without it but it'll be painfully obvious that it has lost its way.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I love the new basic moves. Let's take a look at the signature move of Monsterhearts: Turn Someone On.

quote:

Turn Someone On
When you turn someone on, roll with hot. On a 10 up, gain a String on them and also they choose a reaction from below. On a 7-9, gain a String on them unless they choose a reaction from below.

- I give myself to you,
- I promise something I think you want,
- I get embarrassed and act awkward.

One a 10+, you get a String and a story result. On a 7-9, it's a String or an immediate story benefit. This takes out the redundant "okay, I get that String, I spend it to get what I want" aspect of TSO and allows you to hang on to that String for when it could really matter. In general, this move will just play better in-game.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Golden Bee posted:

Edit 2: On a close read, without skin moves, you can't gain strings on Aces.

Well poo poo.

Time to get a playtest group together.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I have an IRL group I can get at least one session out of. I'll throw together a PbP playtest thread as well.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Double-posting but here is the playtest thread for anyone who is interested.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

How does the maelstrom translate to a Western or Vikings?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I love Monsterhearts but having twice played a Mortal who was trying to investigate monsters (which is an explicitly supported mode of play), Gaze is really terrible for investigating as written. There are just entire pieces of the genre that are unsupported by the book.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

QuantumNinja posted:

This week, I put together a tongue-in-cheek one-shot system based on a long-running gag in my real-life group, where the group is a gang of :frogsiren: MUSCLE WIZARDS :frogsiren:. It's PbtA-based, and I'd love some feedback. Here's the link. I haven't got a chance to run it yet (though may tomorrow).

The main divergences from standard 'Apoc World'-style stuff are:
  • There aren't AW-style stats. Instead, you have scores tied directly to individual moves.
  • your health is your bonuses, so messing up when you take harm means permanently reducing a score from a move.
I'm not sure if these things have been done before (I'd love to find out they have been!), and I'm not certain the second will work in longer-term (i.e., not one-shot) games, but I'm excited to try both.

Why is it 2d12?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I feel like if Dungeon World had used approaches (like Fate Accelerated) instead of stats the working parts would fit together better.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Fellowship is very sandboxy, though. The potatoes of the game is traveling to different communities and gaining Fellowship with them, making your party more powerful. The players are generally at the helm as to where and what they want to do unless you present them with a big red button that says "KILL OVERLORD" (a la Lord of the Rings).

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Apocalypse World makes for great campaign play because character retirement is baked into the rules, so you can continue to play in the world you've created while keeping the characters and plots fresh.

Night Witches suffers from the designers not quite grokking what makes PbtA tick. Like, they understand the mechanics but not why moves are different from discrete game actions or how to make the setup for each move as interesting as the payoff.

Also, the campaign is just loving...exhausting.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Fellowship is really the premier fantasy PbtA.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Ugh, all that chart does is remind me that my least favorite part about PBTA is how stupid narrow the curve is.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tulip posted:

AW classes are, amusingly, more based on Firefly than Mad Max. Skinner is Inara.

(Hardholder and Chopper are the two that don't fit in this method but they're not exactly hard to understand).

Hardholder is either Badger or Nishka, depending on the tone of the game.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Similarly, mechanically, shooting people is easy. Harm is governed by the rule "if you do it, do it." You can create as much misery and chaos in the world as you want and it won't even stand out. The game challenges you to make a different choice: to seize the things that you need, to go aggro in defense of that which you hold dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

It's something when the thing I can be most critical about in a film is that some of the CGI in the climactic scene is every-so-slightly cartoonish.