Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Ich posted:

A few more games using the AWE are City of Judas, Uncharted Worlds, Tremulous, and Urban Shadows.

There's also The Sprawl and The Bureau, but I don't know how polished those are. And there's a WWII hack, that I can't remember the name of.

The Regiment! Which also has an Aliens (alien 2) hack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I'd love some feedback on these which I slapped together for a game coming up online. I'm basically running a True Detective style game set in the late 1960's, probably going for a few weeks.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/w5v8v59kqvzw7qg,yz0c3nqygf7lj8o,7fb7wca6l6ffe0m,7dc2udldd65sbrz,lun7bcfpwfr334q,3o666jsvbwqfw1o/shared

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Maybe they should finish the almost-year-past-due final supplement from the DW kickstarter first.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

ImpactVector posted:

We actually found the Gallant to be a little overpowered in play. Maybe I was being too lenient, but Impassioned Speech seems to lean a little too far towards success. 10+ means you get what you want and people sing your praises, and the partial hit basically throws a soft move at the GM rather than the player. And as long as the person they're using it on isn't a bad guy, I generally had a hard time justifying not going along with it.

Word spreads now people be gunning for you. It all depends on tone and consequences. Just because the move doesn't have an immediate downside or consequence doesn't mean there aren't any ripple effects on the campaign.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Absolutely loving impulse drive, I would so run a game or play in a heartbeat. The only thing I'm not 100% grasping is how calamity works.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

The way it's written/phrased makes it seem like marking all calamity boxes actually takes away a calamity rather than adding one.

quote:

When you are instructed by a move or the SM to mark off Calamity, choose a Calamity that fits, describe how it affects
you and what it means, and mark an advancement. When you have 5 checks in the Calamity track, erase all checks and
erase the check of one Calamity.

I would think it makes more sense that as you fill calamity, you GAIN actual calamities, rather than the calamity track being something that as it increases it takes away calamities. It just feels slightly counter intuitive in its execution for a super cool idea.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

GaistHeidegger posted:

Seems Uncharted Worlds has hit release; has anyone had some experience with it as of yet who can weigh in on how it is? I recall the preview material had been noted as being a bit fiddly for PBtA, but the premise still looks pretty fun.

If it's still anything like the beta I've followed a couple months ago it's way too much of a fiddly mess, and really only uses the PbtA dice mechanics system more than anything else. If I remember it it had straight up tech tree and feat tree style character creation and advancement.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Check our Impulse Drive posted a few pages back, it looks awesome and I'll hopefully be running it in a few weeks after a microscope session to create the setting.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I know it's radically changing the die mechanic/resolution mechanic but I feel PbtA games would work real well with edge of the empire dice. They're just so narrative.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

As far as I understand you could use the +1, +2, etc stat modifiers as how many skill side you roll, with moves adding triumph dice and good or bad aspects/ongoing stuff adding boost or difficulty die.

Edit: Actually, I'd love to figure out an additional dice mechanic that adds threats and advantages on top of the standard 2d6+stat that PBtA games use, hearing it used in the one-shot spinoff Campaign that runs Edge of the Empire makes for some awesome narrative additions where even if you succeed there's a threat sometimes, and even when you fail there's some advantages. I know some games are using advantage and disadvantage in place on ongoing +/- (roll 3d6, take highest 2 for advantage and lowest 2 for disadvantage), but maybe different colored dice as the 3rd d6 could accomplish this instead.

Actually, maybe 2d6 stays, but 1's count as a threat, and 6's count as an advantage. That or even and odd on the results (where even a 12 rolled presents two threats).

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 28, 2015

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

inklesspen posted:

Are you running the microscope session on SA? I'm always interested in Microscope.

Honestly I'm torn between running a roll20 session with friends or trying to find people here who are interested.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

A shame that it was over so quickly, but I think I would have had a blast to play street-level magic cold war.

...but I guese the other players would not, if they were not interested. Mmhm. I wonder if it is at all possible to do that while keeping the rest of the group entertained.

In cases like this i let players control npcs and they usually all have a blast.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Having finally dived into Witcher 3, I really really want to make a PbtA game with the same sorts of ideas, maybe playbooks are unique witchers/slayers or something.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

madadric posted:

Today my PBTA hack, Impulse Drive got added to the roster of character sheets for Roll20, so now along with the rules and handouts you can play misfits in spaceships with sheets that do all the calculations for you.

I'm not showing it on the drop down menu when creating a game.

Edit: Nevermind, it's not under PbtA, it's a separate heading.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Just wanted to say I ran my first game of Impulse Drive last night and the group is so psyched we are now doing a definite weekly game on roll20. The system rules, and the rules really bring a great feeling to the setting seamlessly.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

madadric posted:

Oh wow, thanks for the feedback! Was there anything that felt like a gap in the rules or content provided where you had to make any rulings? It's hard to spot these when you GM a game you wrote.

The next session is tomorrow, if anything like that comes about I'll be sure to post about it though.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

chaos rhames posted:

If you want it to be auto, make a move where fails mean there's snakes or it's on fire.

On a 7-9 there's snakes, or something is on fire. On a miss, it's both.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Be a fan of the player's characters...being railroaded

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

P.d0t posted:

I haven't delved deeply into PBTA, but I wanted to ask, what (if any) is the underlying/unifying resource management subsystem that's utilized in these games?

While each of the hacks has something different (gold/health for Dungeon World, coin/stress/trauma for Blades in the Dark), I think the unifying resource is character desires. Playing with what the characters want and or need is a huge thing in PbtA in my opinion, and any amount of soft and hard moves can come from that. For some players that's gear, for some wealth, and for some it's relationships or goals.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

So hey I remembered another playbook I first came up with back in the original AWorld thread: The Revenant.

This is really drat good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

There's always blades against darkness, a bitd hack that's somewhere between dungeon world and torchbearer. Haven't played it but seems well done.