Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5748539950.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

I have a friend who lives in Denver that's into DSMs. Should I let him know or are you trying to buy it?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Ugh. I think I threw away the last camber bolts I had.

I actually think I still have a set of 2G camber bolts somewhere. I haven't brought myself to throw them away.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I have a friend who lives in Denver that's into DSMs. Should I let him know or are you trying to buy it?

It would be good if someone could look at it; the guy says it's an ABS car with no sunroof, but didn't respond to my request for information about the interior. He also said that he was getting the car checked out to verify if it's in fact the CAS.

Also no real information about rust, which is a concern on a Colorado car. From the pictures it doesn't look like a big problem on the shock towers or the engine bay, but there are some other problem areas to look at.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

MikeyTsi posted:

It would be good if someone could look at it; the guy says it's an ABS car with no sunroof, but didn't respond to my request for information about the interior. He also said that he was getting the car checked out to verify if it's in fact the CAS.

Also no real information about rust, which is a concern on a Colorado car. From the pictures it doesn't look like a big problem on the shock towers or the engine bay, but there are some other problem areas to look at.

Rust...on a Colorado car?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Fuelslt1 posted:

Rust...on a Colorado car?

They salt the roads, do they not?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't think they use salt I think they sand the roads. I can obviously be completely wrong and often am.

I am completely wrong as suspected.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 2, 2016

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

MikeyTsi posted:

They salt the roads, do they not?

They use a mixture of sand and/or magnesium chloride depending on where you are in CO and what the conditions are like.

No salt.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Fuelslt1 posted:

... magnesium chloride ...
No salt.

So... they do, in fact, use salt?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
mag chloride isn't typically thought of as "salt" by anyone but chemists and maybe people with BP issues, but I think KCl is the usual salt substitute not MgCl2.

However, it's the chlorine atoms that catalyze rusting, so, welp. Magnesium chloride may cause it slower but it should still do the same thing, theoretically. CO's rustfree status probably has more to do with the fact that it's basically a high altitude desert with super low humidity most of the time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
With a similar climate to CO, we used to use magnesium chloride and now we use 'conventional' road salt to save money.

It makes a huge difference to corrosion; we're talking "paint looks yucky long-term" before vs. systemic panel rot now.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007

kastein posted:

mag chloride isn't typically thought of as "salt" by anyone but chemists and maybe people with BP issues, but I think KCl is the usual salt substitute not MgCl2.

However, it's the chlorine atoms that catalyze rusting, so, welp. Magnesium chloride may cause it slower but it should still do the same thing, theoretically. CO's rustfree status probably has more to do with the fact that it's basically a high altitude desert with super low humidity most of the time.

Yeah...whatever this guy just said.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

I actually think I still have a set of 2G camber bolts somewhere. I haven't brought myself to throw them away.

I could certainly use them.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Any luck?

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.

MikeyTsi posted:

Any luck?

He hasn't gotten back to me yet. I'm trying to get him to go still.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Good news:
It looks like I've finally reached a point where I'm not really ill or somehow injuring myself to the point where I can't move.

Bad news:
I may be employed soon, which means my time to work on cars will be restricted, and 14" has proven surprisingly resistant to my attempts to guilt-trip him in to coming down to help me work on my car.

I've got some other DSM-owner buddies though, and they're probably dumb/crazy enough to help me get the car running (they ARE DSM owners, after all), so stay tuned.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So, funny story.

Apparently you can seriously damage an engine when just replacing a coil.

Getting the Talon fixed just got a big bump in priority.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What? How?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Imagine, if you will:

Car starts running rough and throwing misfire codes. Not a big deal, I've had this happen before when the coil took a poo poo. (Looks like there's a small crack in the cylinder head that allows coolant to weep in to cylinder 4. I was going to keep it cleaned out and bodge it with jb weld in a few weeks).

Pull off coil, pull remove plugs, pull injector and fuel pump fuse. Check compression just to "make sure". Compression is around 120 on each cylinder.

Buy new coil, install. Car won't start. I can hear the pump going so I'm pretty sure the fuses are good. Assume I got a bum coil.

Pull coil off, pull ignition module, discover that I have a male-male situation going on. After trip from Napa, discover there's a small adapter in there. Manage to find it stuck to the old coil. Install on new coil, car won't start.

Reinstall coil, car won't start. Pull coil, pull spark plugs. Definitely getting fuel. Check compression again, now 1 and 4 are showing 60 PSI.

Super. Now I don't have a car in addition to not having a job.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Sounds like every dsm owner I've ever known, to be fair.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I still don't get how it broke it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Not the DSM.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I still don't get how it broke it.

It's a mystery for the ages, and I'm not going to know what actually happened to it until I can tear the head off, which won't be until I can get the Talon functional so I can push the Saturn where the Talon is currently languishing. I fully expect a shop would charge more than the car is worth to replace the head, so I guess I'm doing it myself.

I've got a guy that says he can help/finish the Talon if I can get it towed up to his shop (not difficult, I've got connections), but he's absolutely terrible at responding to messages/planning. I might have to try to do it myself.

Borrowing a car at the moment so MY GIRLFRIEND and I can at least get around, but I'm not positive how long that'll last. I've considered just picking up a cheap shitbox to get through the next few weeks/month, but I'm pretty tapped financially at the moment (especially since my unemployment apparently ran out last week even though it still shows that I've got $3500 left?)

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
Conquest turns over and fires up nicely via jumpers, but the steel wire sneaking out of the Sumitomos tells me to get AAA on it. And maybe I need a more sane alternator or a better brand of battery.

I've got a guy that says he can help the S-dime if I can get it towed up to his shop, but he's absolutely godawful at responding to messages/planning, so that thing's going to Pick-n-Pull. If those idiots can ever get their poo poo together.

I hate vehicles.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

ENGINE CONTROL HARNESS HAS BEEN PULLED OUT OF THE PASSENGER PAY.

I REPEAT, ENGINE CONTROL HARNESS HAS BEEN PULLED OUT OF THE PASSENGER BAY.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 249 days!)

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Out with the "old":

And in with the "new":

Next up: "everything", including new hoses, hopefully new struts/springs (need adjustment kits), hopefully new radiator.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Also discovered a bunch of my tools (including pretty much a whole set of Craftsman 3/8" sockets) and my air compressor were likely stolen.

Balls.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Welp, I have about a week or so to try to get this loving thing running, or I'm probably going to have to find a shitbox so we can at least get around while I try to get this loving thing running.

Old wiring harness is now on the ground, and I got the a/c line that runs along the firewall reinstalled. Got stalled for a bit as I tried to figure out heater core hose connections, but I think I have that figured out so I can actually start putting stuff back together.

Pictures tomorrow. Maybe.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Adventures in,... not the Talon!

MY GIRLFRIEND's father's truck was making the bad noises when braking, so I decided to give him a hand and do the brakes for him since he's been letting us borrow the truck a lot.

Who's this fucker?

Apparently they make rotors that have the hub and bearings and poo poo integrated. loving Fords.

New rotor/hub/bearing bullshit back on. Not pictured: Having to pack the bearings by hand because apparently I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing and bought the wrong grease gun.

Apparently I bought some great loving grease though!

Assembled. Other side looked the same, so just imagine the pictures flipped around.

MikeyTsi fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 15, 2017

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I just wanted to note that I'm $800 in to fixing a car that isn't the loving Talon; apparently there was a "catastrophic failure" of one or more "tension components" that caused "the valves and pistons to kiss".

Mr. Baker's Dozen found a redesigned timing kit that SHOULD hopefully prevent that from happening again, and that, a junkyard head, and other misc. parts and we're close to having the fucker back together so I can drive a European car with a GM motor again.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Never fear, I'm (sort of) working on the Talon too!

After tearing in to the Saturn about as far as I could, I started loving around with coolant hoses while Baker's Dick wrapped up what he was doing on the truck and started on the Saturn.

Flipped the "gently caress it" switch and cut one of the heater core hoses down to a usable size. This is the sad remains of what won't be used on the car.

Heater core hoses installed. I don't see any kinks or stretches that would impede flow.

Also changed out the coolant hoses for the turbo and the feeds going to the throttle body.

I've still got two hoses, which I'm relatively certain are for the cooler assembly that is part of the oil filter assembly. I'll have to raise the car up to reasonably get to that, so I'll change those out when I jack the car up again (and drain the oil).

Here's my super custom lighting solution so I can maybe work on the car through our never-ending darkness.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

#gofuckyourself

$40 later, I've got a new connector, and after putting the lovely butt (hurr hurr) connectors they supplied in the bin and using my superior ones, I have that repaired and plugged back in.

Still throwing misfire codes and running rough. gently caress.

So, I tempt fate and once again pull the coil and plugs, and after pulling the fuel pump and injector fuses, run a compression test.

Spark plugs, 1 > 4:

These are brand new, right out of the box. 1 and 4 are clean, 4 has a more distinct "wet" look and more of a gas smell than the others. 2 and 3 are black.

Compression:

Cylinder 1:

Cylinder 2:

Cylinder 3:

Cylinder 4:

So, looks like I don't have to tear the engine apart again at least!

At this point, I'm thinking #4 is the cause of my angst, but since I've got new plugs and a new coil (I'd bought another coil in the adventures that led to the catastrophic engine failure), I'm somewhat at a loss as to what may have poo poo the bed to cause that to happen. "All the way to 13"" is of the opinion that I should yank the rail and see if the injectors are pulsing, but I don't have the time to do that tonight. I may not be able to look at it until Wednesday, which presents somewhat of a problem.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Is it a waste-spark system? Because I think 1 and 4 would share a coil and so would 2 and 3, that'd explain your two-cylinder misfire neatly.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

kastein posted:

Is it a waste-spark system? Because I think 1 and 4 would share a coil and so would 2 and 3, that'd explain your two-cylinder misfire neatly.

Ecotec engines are coil-on-plug.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
It is a waste spark system. It also definitely could be coils. I've run into that issue before.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Left Ventricle posted:

Ecotec engines are coil-on-plug.

Depends. 07+ in the case of the 2.2, 06 and older are waste spark. The one he's working on is an early 2.2, 02 at the newest. I think most of the other Ecotec family was coil on plug, but I'm not positive. The 2.2 was the base engine in most cars it was sold in.

kastein posted:

We have a winner. 1-4 and 2-3 share coils on the L61. It could also be a bad ignition module, but I've had a coil poo poo itself on mine once. And my car has the same engine, just with a DBW throttle body and no power steering pump.

You'll probably have to swap the ignition cassette. You can't buy the coils individually (you can rip them apart from a junkyard cassette, but it's a PITA), just get the whole thing.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 18, 2017

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

COP, two coils (you can see the bulges).

The fucker is brand new, I'd bought it right before the valves got toasted and two days ago was the first time it was on an actually running car.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Depending on how the coil cassette grounds, it could be a missing bolt holding it to the head as well. Or the primary trigger wire from the ignitor or ECU to the coilpack could be bad for that particular coil - given the condition of the MAP harness, I wouldn't rule that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Early L Series Ecotecs had poo poo coilpacks and even shittier coil drivers. I liked my parents 2000 L, it was that 'rare' manual one. It was pretty nice to drive for what it was.