Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So, it's been a bad month or so.

It started with one of my cats starting to avoid food. He'd take a few bites and then yowl and move away from it. This got progressively worse over the weekend, until on Sunday when he started looking physically weak, and couldn't tempt him with anything. I figured that he maybe had a green tooth or an abscess, turned out he was in late stage renal failure and I had to euthanize him pretty much immediately.

Then not more than a few weeks later I took Riley in for what I figured was a continuation of a joint issue we were working on, and found out he had late stage cancer. I got about a week with him before he got to the point where I had to euthanize him to.

To add to that, I'm rolling off my current contract at the end of next month, so there's the stress of looking for work again.

So, I've been depressed as gently caress and have been doing gently caress-all for the most part.

I did, however, manage to force myself to go out and do at least something last night:

I'll need to locate/buy some larger zip-ties so I can finish getting it in there, and I need to bend one of the brackets for the condenser so I can get it to mount, after that I can drop in the radiator and hope the new power wire doesn't interfere. Hopefully I can force myself to do at least something on it this weekend to start moving forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Sorry to hear about your cattes, I know exactly the funk you're in. :( Hang in there, Mikey.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Having had four elderly cats die off in the past 4 years I feel for you. It seems like cats always die hard and it's a shitshow every time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Really sorry to hear about your kitty. :(

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

WELP.

Guess how my Sunday went?

Never mind, because I'm gonna fuckin' tell you all about it.

It started out well at Chez Amos, had a lazy morning, that kind of thing. The trouble began when we decided to head outdoors and try to get some things accomplished with our day.

First on the list was to head up to the local autopartzen. The Honda has been getting progressively harder to start, which I assumed was a battery that was on its way out. I wanted to check and make sure that nothing else was wrong before I shelled out money to replace it though.

However, the battery tested "good, needs charge". Alternator also tested good. Starter,... Not so much.

And then the car wouldn't start. Looks like the testing load was sufficient to finally kill it. Which we didn't really come to terms with until we let the car sit for an hour to cool down and it still didn't start.

So we called for a tow.

And waited for another two hours for that to show up.

And then, since Honda in their infinite wisdom decided to lovingly nestle the starter between the engine block and the intake manifold, it took me a good two hours to get to the starter and get the area opened enough so I could bust the bolts loose that someone had clearly had a gorilla torque and get everything back together. While I was doing that I put the battery on the charger.

Car starts like a dream now though! I still need to change the oil soon (starter blew my car maintenance budget), and I really should replace the power steering pump.

No, didn't get anything I actually WANTED to do done over the weekend.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Sorry folks, depression sucks. I've got some minor stuff I should hopefully get to posting tomorrow.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Got the new power wire mostly run where I want it and zip-tied in place, I'll take some pictures when I work on it next.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Figured out how to get the doors off so my partner and I can swap them when we have a few hours free.

Also finally got the passenger seat removed so I could get to the connector to the side and start laying in the harness a bit better. Did some vaccuuming as well since the driver's carpet was pretty nasty. I'll probably hose it down with simple green and use my carpet vac on it at some point before I put the seats back in.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Had a goon around to help today, so it was somewhat productive.

I'll take a picture soon buuut:

- moved cruise control bullshit from the old car over (dipshit PO removed for "weight savings")
- installed evap canister and mount
- installed igniter, coil pack, fuel rail
- intake/fuel related wiring and connectors are installed

I need to review some engine bay pictures to refresh on where stuff goes so I can make sure some mounts are in the right place, but got some good progress today.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Good to see progress! Stay well, sadbrains buddy :glomp:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MikeyTsi posted:

- moved cruise control bullshit from the old car over (dipshit PO removed for "weight savings")

This. This right here is the only reason why I love DBW. There's nothing extra except for a couple of switches. I know 90s cars had a lot more stuff for cruise, but it didn't weigh jack poo poo - maybe a few pounds at most?

I was the dipshit PO on one car. I yanked out the cruise, AC, and power steering for "weight savings". Turns out ~10 lbs really doesn't do much, who woulda thunk?!

Glad to hear there's progress!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, he removed the ac compressor and condensor as well, for probably a grand total of 25 pounds saved, which I guess was so he'd be weight neutral to install his dumbfuck park bench wing and the motorized headunit?

It ain't weight savings if you're not changing over to a manual driver's seat and stripping your interior, bub.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Got tired of having missing/broken gearwrenches so I bought a new set.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hi Mikey :)

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Oh, I'm employed again.

I started work on removing the intercooler (it's in the right fender), which became removing the fender splash guard plastic, which became probably removing the bumper which, while I want to do that and hopefully repair the bumper and install it on the new car, is a bit more involved to figure out today.

So, didn't get done what I wanted but PROGRESS.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Looking online, it looks like I just needed to remove two more bolts and 4 plastic push-in clips. I'll hopefully be able to check that out this weekend.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Did a thing:

This is a safe "jacking" point, right?

With it lifted a bit I was able to get under there (don't worry, I didn't crawl under, just reached my arm in) and break the bolts loose, and pull the bumper.

Here it is on the ground, the plastic and the frame actually doesn't look too bad, I'll probably need to pull it off for repairs anyway, and I'll need to pull the assembly out of the other car to eventually install this so I'll just swap covers so I know I won't have something compromised.

All that to get to this one loving bolt. Debating if I'm going to pull the bumper off the other car to install this, or just have the two bolts on the other side and deal with this when I get around to pulling the bumper naturally.

Aaaand it's out. I've placed it in the passenger compartment of the "new" car so it'll have a chance to dry out. I'll probably also dump some alcohol through it as well to help make sure it's dry and to hopefully clean out whatever gunk may be in there.

While I was there, I also pulled the headlights, and I also pulled these as they are rare and relatively valuable (and I plan on installing them when I put on the 97 bumper).

And with the bumper cover off, you can see how hosed up the front end is.

That's all for now, with this done I can finally get the intercooler installed then start installing the piping. I also need to wrap up some wiring and poo poo so I can get the radiator and fan assembly back in, then a bunch of other fiddly poo poo and the electronic hookups in the engine bay, some work on the wheels and stuff, then fluids and I can try to get this thing to start. We just started getting some snow today so that might put this on hold for a little bit until that clears.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Sorry for the radio silence, folks, I got pretty sick (looks like it was a flare up of my disease) so I haven't been doing much.

Trying to find a window where my partner is around and it's not loving raining so I can start swapping doors over. got the "welding" splices in, now I need to pick up a cheap heat gun so I can repair those two sensor wires. And then everything else.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Good news!

I got one pair of doors swapped!

Bad news!

It's really out of alignment, and I broke the handle while I was swapping (which was half the reason I was swapping the doors)!

FML.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, didn't get anything done on the Talon this weekend,....

Because the alternator in the Accord was apparently making GBS threads the bed, which gave a dead battery on Friday, so had to replace the battery Friday then replace the alternator on Saturday.

At least it was relatively easy to replace.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Started working on getting the cotter pins in for the shift linkage>transmission attachments, and one of them it just isn't fitting in right. I dicked around with it for a good half hour trying to bang on it with a hammer and a socket and it just wasn't working. About an hour after giving up for a while my internal voice was like "use a socket and a clamp, dipshit", so I should probably go try that.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Oof.

I don't have much to add here but I admire your persistence! It looks like a rollercoaster of progress.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

This loving Honda, I swear to god.

It decided to up and not start on my partner in the Uwajimaya parking lot yesterday, it's cranking but not starting.

Got it home, I'm hearing the fuel pump kick on, compression is good (I just check that now because it's the thing I'm most worried about), not really seeing or smelling fuel on the compression tester or spark plugs, so I'm assuming that I have a fuel delivery problem. No new trouble codes.

Took a break so I can try to research what might be failed before I drop say, $200 on a fuel pump that might not be failed.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Also, adopted this jerk a few weeks ago.

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008

MikeyTsi posted:

Also, adopted this jerk a few weeks ago.

Sorry to hear about your Honda; I’m a big fan of your dog though!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Is the green key light on the dash flashing by chance?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Yes, it's flashing green.

loving locksmith wants $200 to program a key, that seems excessive.

Does anyone have experience with these, as in, do they actually work for what I need? If so I could probably just buy this and two new fobs and program them my-fuckin-self.

http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/e...P0aAl79EALw_wcB

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

As a temporary measure: https://automotiveandcommerciallocksmith.blogspot.com/2012/07/emergency-engine-start-procedure-for.html?m=1

Weirdest poo poo...

Also, google made me think there may be a way you could generate/look up codes on your own.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I got the "brake code" from the manufacturer but couldn't make it work.

I was however able to find the transponder chip I originally pulled out of the replacement key fob I bought a while back, and was able to get someone to come out and program it to the car for $100. So I'm mobile again. I'll probably buy the programmer and another pair of keys at some point so I can have one for myself and my partner and a spare.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So yeah, took me all of 3 minutes to get the bearing pressed on right after grabbing a socket and a clamp:

In other news, looks like the driver's side seat belt on the Accord has jammed and is basically totally unable to use. My partner had to drive back from Burien without a seat belt, which wasn't ideal. Since I had a procedure I had to do this morning I swapped the belt over from the passenger side, and discovered that they're not identical, which is loving dumb. Have an appointment tomorrow with the dealership to replace the belt (safety component, lifetime warranty), and going to have them do the airbag recall while their at it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

AI: Lawnmower Edition

Decided I was tired of spending an entire day mowing a yard using a mower with one dying battery, so I decided to pull the gas mower I got a few years ago and never worked on out and finally get it fixed.

This was actually surprisingly easy to to get to, pulled off the air filter assembly (three bolts), and here we are.

Well, assuming the rest of the carb looks like this I think we found our problem. Nasty.

The gasket tore as I was removing it, so I guess that's something to replace.

The carb doesn't really seem to be made to be "serviceable", there doesn't really seem to be a good way to pull the jets out and such. Fortunately a new carb with new hose, gaskets, two spark plugs, air filter, and some other stuff was only like $20, so gently caress it.

BTW, trying to find the right carb for this was a pain in the rear end. Craftsman's website redirects you to Husquavarna, they don't recognize the model number, there's no useful identifying numbers on the carb, no real identifiers for the motor (Briggs & Stratton), I ultimately had to guess.

Fortunately I found the right one!

Other issue, the pull line was a bit stiff, just enough that the slight angle was causing this to pop out. I wasn't in the mood to let this stop my testing and using it, so ZIP IT.

Took it off the table, sprayed in some starting fluid and sucker starts immediately. Put it back on the table and buttoned it back up. I installed a inline fuel filter (came with the kit) so hopefully the carb won't get crudded up as easily again.

This mower is pretty drat good. The self propelled is pretty nice and makes mowing pretty low effort, and even as tall as the grass was it made short work of things. I'll probably see about getting the blade sharpened or buy a new one so I can swap out as needed.

Now to decide if I want to bother with trying to repair the other two mowers so I can try to sell them or just get rid of them.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
No model/type/code numbers on the engine itself?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Dagen H posted:

No model/type/code numbers on the engine itself?

Not that I could see immediately. I stopped worrying about it once I got a carb that fit.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Car stuff is on hold while I try to avoid losing the house. Just FYI.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Sheesh your gas mower problems align with my problems. I love my electric mower most of the time but, for example, when the grass is long I want to use the gas mower we own. The gas mower has a leaking float and... effort... :D

Sorry about house. I kicked some money your way. :(

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Down to two non-functional cars.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

House updates in a car thread:

- Sale date got bumped to January. Since my new mortgage is in underwriting I'll have this poo poo sorted well in advance of that. So everything should be fine.
- The payoff quote came WELL under my expected worst-case, so I'm pulling out rather a lot more equity than I strictly need. Probably going to put the overage after consolidating all household debt in to the house and retirement fund. Maybe I'll buy a Legnum VR4 next year or so, I've wanted one forever and having a wagon would be dead useful.

Got rid of the Saturn, now it's parked in front of someone else's house (they're like 6-8 blocks away). They're debating whether they're going to take it to the scrapper or try to rebuild the engine and such, but no longer my problem. Down to two dead cars! I'm not allowed to buy any more until that's reduced to 0 though.

The paint between the two Talons is JUST different enough that it's noticeable on the door I swapped, and it's going to drive me loving nuts. My plan is to swap over the front fenders as well, and I'll have the rear quarter of the car repainted to paint match, it's got clearcoat damage and such as well so it's going to need some paint work in the rear.

Of course now that the house situation seems settled and I'm no longer in crisis about that it's started pissing rain regularly, I'm going to make an attempt to get the rest of the items buttoned up on the car though so I can maybe drive it. Since I've got a few extra bucks knocking around now I think I'll go ahead and order the alignment kits I need so I can replace the springs/shocks and get those out of my house and taking up space.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Hey, those of you that sent money to my gofundme, send me a note so I can refund it. Since everything should be all good now I won't really need it.

Thanks!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Now that the mortgage stuff is settled and I'm not stressing the gently caress out about it anymore, I've decided that winter in Seattle is really the best time to try to finish a car, so hopefully I'll be doing some updates again as I try to at least get it to the point where it'll start and run. With that in mind, I just bought the correction kits for the performance shocks and springs I bought a while back. I need to repair those two wires, then I can start putting the rest of the parts in and figure out final routing for the new power wire and all that. We'll see if I can get this going and make that final push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Haven't been feeling well, haven't done poo poo.