Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Weather is changing from rainy and cold to rainy and somewhat less cold, so I hope to start working on the car again soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's a beautiful, cold, raining day down here in Portland. We're wrenching. Is there stuff you could use a hand with? (Not today, but sooooon).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Once I'm vaccinated, sure.

Basically I've got the engine and transmission in, I've got the AC condenser back in, I've got the new power line run from the alternator around the front of the car.

- Need to repair two sensor wires
- Radiator and piping
- reinstall side mount intercooler
- Intake piping
- attach downpipe to O2 housing
- Figure out how to attach the drat bracket that the clutch line runs through
- attach clutch line
- install fuse box
- new power line needs the breaker installed
- New battery posts for the wiring
- I recall a bunch of grounds need to be installed/upgraded
- internal wiring (need to get the ecu connectors attached and such)
- a few external connectors in the engine bay still need connecting
- Battery mount
- battery
- need to replace the bolt for the front roll stop (wrong one, whooooops)
- Everything. Needs. Fluids

I think that's all to get to "turn the key and see if it explodes" I do also need to swap the passenger door, I need to replace the outside latch on the driver side since I'm a dumbass and broke it, both doors will need to be aligned, need to swap the front fenders (the paint is juuuuust enough off of a match to drive me nuts when I notice it, I figure I'll replace all the tins that I can move over and then just have the rear quarter painted to paint match, the passenger side has a bad clearcoat section so it needs a partial rear repaint anyway), need to install the shock/spring set I've got and the alignment kit, I've got slotted rotors I need to put on, need to install interior panels and seats and poo poo, this has some toooner that uses a wideband O2 that I think was never hooked up right that I'd at least like to get to the point where the gauge works, oh, need to install my pillar gauge pod and boost gauge, need to finish wiring and installing the stereo, etc. But once the car is actually running the rest will be a lot easier to finish.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

New bumper, who dis?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Got my first Covid shot on Monday.

My latest medication regimen juuuuust isn't quite enough to actually get me healing, so we're going to try me on something else. My ability to do car tasks is going to be spotty until I'm more generally stable.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Frustrating car work today, and it was an attempt at required maintenance on the Honda, so I didn't even get the "at least I tried" for the Talon.

Anyway, need to do some work on the brakes, the squealer started making noise so one of them is worn. Discovered it's the rear (the fronts still have about 50% pad left on them so I'm going to hold on to the parts and do those when they're due).

- Stripped one of the screws that holds the rotor on. Should probably buy a percussion screwdriver. Sucks, the fronts came off fine with the electric screwdriver when I did those a few years back.
- Decided "gently caress it", the rears aren't as important; I can just put the new pads on and deal with drilling out the screw and replace the rotors later. NOPE. Looks like I can't turn the piston back on that caliper, so can't do gently caress-all even with the pads. It was one of those t-handle jobbies you rent from O'reilly though, so maybe if I can find something that'll let me get an actual ratchet or breaker handle on it and get some torque on there?
- Get the wheels back on, look for my torque wrench. Which has apparently vanished in to the household oubliette. Ended up using the arm gauge, which ended up pretty accurate when I stopped by the parts store and borrowed a torque wrench for a minute to make sure the lugs weren't going to randomly fall off on the freeway.

So, that sucked. I'll need to think about it for a bit and either revisit it or pay a mechanic to deal with it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

If you have a big rear end flathead screwdriver, you can sorta screw the pistons back in that way.

It's easier to just rent/buy the proper tool though. I was lucky in that I had a 18" long flathead with a huge tip - was able to lay it in the grooves sideways - when I did rears on my Integra. The t-handle doesn't really put enough torque on if there's any hint of rust or if it's been awhile since it got pad slapped. This works with a 3/8 ratchet (if you can wait a day or two, this is cheaper and appears to be exactly the same).

And just drill the screw out. It's only there to hold the rotor in place when the car is being assembled, it serves absolutely no purpose afterwards.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 2, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

STR posted:

And just drill the screw out. It's only there to hold the rotor in place when the car is being assembled, it serves absolutely no purpose afterwards.

I've heard people online say you get balance issues potentially (though no other manufacturer seems to without them...) but I can't see how that would happen with the lugs tightening it down to the hub when the wheels go on. I just put on stainless ones with a shitload of anti seize and got the correct (JIS) screwdriver and it seems fine. But not having them would be better. :v:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Guess who's officially vaccinated now?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welcome to the sore arm club!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, if anyone wants to help with the final push to get this car running I'd like to call that in. My partner just got a new jorb that's going to require in-person so having a second functional car is now higher on the list of priorities.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So, why haven't I posted.

Well, first off I had a little vacation, where MY GIRLFRIEND became MY FIANCE. 😀

And after getting back from that Sunday before last I spent that week in progressively greater pain.

And I'm now in the hospital. Turns out that pain was from a 150cc abcsess in my pelvis.

Things seem to be on the mend now, but wanted to give an update. Probably looking at another 1-2 weeks of recovery after I'm out of here so no car work for a bit.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Decided to "celebrate" kind of feeling better by finally getting back to doing the rear brakes on the Honda.

First think I had to contend with was the drat stripped screw. I drilled at it for a while, but didn't seem to be making what I thought was enough progress. I thought I was going to have to take it in to a shop and get it drilled out, and just went gently caress it and smacked the rotor with a hammer and, well,

Ratcheting screwdriver didn't do poo poo for the other screw, fortunately I bought this fucker:

Of course with the rotor off, this little poo poo decided to just come right out with finger torque.

Rotor back on, one screw will have to do.

Fuuuuuuuuck YOU.

That caliper was still frozen right the gently caress up, fortunately I anticipated that and bought a new caliper just in case. Took a bit to figure out how to get the parking brake line figured out, but I managed it.

All back on. MY FIANCE (last time, I promise) helped with bleeding the line.

Other side screws busted right loose with the impact driver.

Other side wasn't much to report, just your usual difficult bolts and I had a bitch of a time getting the top brake hardware piece in to the caliper. This one rotated fine with the tool I bought though, so I didn't swap out that caliper.

Unfortunately, I'm getting a noise coming from passenger rear when driving now (sounds like a scraping type of noise), so I'll have to go back in to it in the morning. If I can't find anything obvious I may just swap out the caliper (I bought one for that side as well in case it turned out to be frozen as well) and see if that makes it go away.

Anyway, if I'm feeling well enough to do car work I should try to get some progress on that Talon, we'll see if I have time on Monday to start addressing that again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Probably just bent dust shield contacting the rotor. Take a long screwdriver and push through the wheel all around it and bend it back. Hopefully then you won't even have to take off the wheels.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I hope you anti seized those screws. Hammer impact tools are super useful for poo poo like those. And yeah, probably the dust shield is making the noise.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I don't think I touched that, but it's a good point. I'll see if I can find something long enough to push it back a bit. Otherwise I've got a nice jack and a drill, I can take off a wheel in less time than it takes to get the tools out to the car.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Looks like a defective rotor that's slightly out of round so it's causing contact during part of the rotation. I'm putting the old one back on to confirm (and so I can drive the car until I can replace it again).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So changed back to the old rotor and it was fine for a test drive, but now it's starting to make scraping noises as well? I don't know, maybe that caliper is hosed too and causing issues.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

MikeyTsi posted:

So changed back to the old rotor and it was fine for a test drive, but now it's starting to make scraping noises as well? I don't know, maybe that caliper is hosed too and causing issues.

Casting flash on the caliper?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Doubtful, I expect it's original so close to 20 years old.

That one DOES take more effort to get in position to get the screws to mount it to the bracket in, like I have to really push on it to get it aligned, so maybe there's just something wrong with it now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Did you confirm it wasn't the shields? Put it on stands and rotate the wheels to figure out where it's coming from.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Did you confirm it wasn't the shields? Put it on stands and rotate the wheels to figure out where it's coming from.

It's not the dust shield.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

GI flare means I've been doing gently caress-all with cars. I've been building a list of poo poo the Accord needs in addition to thinking about stuff I still need to source for the Talon.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

It's super easy to bend the dust shield just taking the wheel off. It's probably the dust shield.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

It.
Is.
Not.
The.
Dust.
Shield.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
This is way too late to help you, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxQk7Pz_vfc&t=205s

Basically, put a pointy tip in your air hammer. Position the tip in the rotor screw so that the tip can dig into the screw material and also turn the screw counter-clockwise a little bit. Carefully squeeze the trigger of the air hammer and marvel as the rotor screw immediately gives up. It has never taken me more than three tries to get this to work and I live in the Midwest.

The rotor screw is trashed, but who cares? Those things are just there to keep the rotors in place as the car moves from the "put rotors on" station to the "put brake calipers on" station. They're too small and too close to the center of the hub to make any difference to the balance.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Another trick is to buy Milwaukee demo drivers and just use your favorite BFH and the Phillips demo driver to take the rotor screw out. I'm not sure which of these tricks is more unkind to the wheel bearings.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Oh, I've got a manual impact driver now. Ultimately had to drill that one screw out, but the others just took that and a couple hits with the hammer and they came right out.

Funny thing is I do actually have two air tools that I've never actually used,...

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Air tools are great, but air compressors are horrible.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, I got a pancake compressor that works pretty great for nailing fencing and such but not sure how well it'll do with air tools.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Best advice I was ever given was to get the biggest tank on your compressor that you can feasibly manage. The one I had back when I had room was an old 60gal, and it was great. Bigger tank means less compressor runtime, and more usable pressure to run the tool longer.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Woke up Saturday morning to discover Archie had died.

I just really don't know what the gently caress.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Dealing with issues and my internals have been garbage, plus the weather sucks so I've done gently caress-all with the car.

I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Ended up in the hospital again, got a kidney stone that lodged so I had to get admitted for them to blow up the stone with LAZERZ, and then they stuck a stent in. Then I had to go to the ER again for what turned out to be an added bladder infection. All told it was about 2 weeks of pain from when the stone started moving to starting getting the infection treated, and still having some pain issues (most likely from the stent that's hopefully coming out this or next week).

Pain is, not fun.

Haven't done really much at all with the car, pretty much all of my energy is going towards work and prepping for the wedding (down to 1.5 months now). I really do want to get this drat car done so I can loving drive it.

Also need to do some work on the Accord, getting a bit of a hesitation, assuming it's time to change out the spark plugs, could probably stand to do the air filter too. Getting some noise from the brakes again so probably need to tear in to that again too.

Oh, meet Rufus B. Chesterfield:

He's a good boy.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Not dead, starting a new therapy.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Therapy good. DSMs... Bad?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Questionable.

Though I still lust for a 97-98 AWD talon.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Well, the hope is this one will stop me from bleeding internally without needing large doses of steroids, and getting off the steroids will improve a lot of things that are causing me cascading issues.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

MikeyTsi posted:

Well, the hope is this one will stop me from bleeding internally without needing large doses of steroids, and getting off the steroids will improve a lot of things that are causing me cascading issues.

Woof. Yeah, steroids are rough on the body. Best of luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Still alive. Starting to get off of the nasty steroids. Latest issues have been kidney stones, which I'm hoping getting off of the steroids will reduce.

Hoping I can fully get off of them in the next two weeks, ideally that will help with my energy levels so I can start tearing in to the car then.