Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Welp, got a dependency to said steroids. Got moved to a different type that is a bit less terrible. They've moved me to a different medication and are waiting to see how that goes before trying another taper and seeing if I need to talk to an endocrinologist.

Actually not feeling so bad at the moment, getting some exercise now, lost about 25 pounds, feeling like I'd like to get the car finished,... just in time for "poo poo weather season" in Washington.

We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Microsoft is ending the contract I'm part of at EoY, so that's fun.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, if anyone's still offering to help get this thing going, let's do dis. Project just ended so I've probably got a few weeks where I'm probably not doing much and can focus on finishing this drat thing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Where are you again? I'm probably going to be hitting the Tacoma pick n pull and a cars n coffee over there on Sunday, so I'll already be on the right side of the bridge toll to spin by.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

Where are you again? I'm probably going to be hitting the Tacoma pick n pull and a cars n coffee over there on Sunday, so I'll already be on the right side of the bridge toll to spin by.

Ah, sorry, didn't see this. I'm up in Ren-tun, so a bit of a drive.

I've got some stuff I'm doing today given that it's eve, so probably wouldn't have time to work on the car anyway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I may or may not also be up your way in the near future to sell a set of wheels and quote a guy on wiring an LS swap he ran out of skill on, I can try and let you know if that happens.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

I may or may not also be up your way in the near future to sell a set of wheels and quote a guy on wiring an LS swap he ran out of skill on, I can try and let you know if that happens.

Sure, keep me posted if you remember.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

WELP.

Looks like I might have a new job, which is good, but this job has office hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

The spouse works Monday overnights and Thursdays.

So getting this car done is quickly moving in to "emergency".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

What's left to do on it? I might be headed to Renton to do some calibration work this week as well as Tacoma area and I'm probably headed to Olympia and chehalis tomorrow or Saturday, so there's a good chance I can swing by. I know I keep saying this... LS swap guy fell off the face of the planet and wheels guy bailed on our meeting too.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

What's left to do on it? I might be headed to Renton to do some calibration work this week as well as Tacoma area and I'm probably headed to Olympia and chehalis tomorrow or Saturday, so there's a good chance I can swing by. I know I keep saying this... LS swap guy fell off the face of the planet and wheels guy bailed on our meeting too.

To get it to a "can start" state?

- test rotate engine to make sure no ridges have formed or anything
- mount fusebox/clutch line bracket
- I think I still need to get the clips for the shifter cables in there
- mount fusebox
- attach clutch line
- install intercooler/piping/intake
- finish laying out the main engine harness
- plug in ecu (this is like 5 minutes maybe)
- attach downpipe to turbo o2 housing (probably need to vacuum it out just in case)
- finish routing power line from alternator to battery
- install battery box and poo poo, get wiring connections for that wrapped up
- two sensor wires need to be repaired
- get a battery
- front drivetrain mount/roll stop has the wrong bolt, need to replace it.
- swap rear wheels, install adapter rings
- fluids
- more fluids
- so. many. fluids

I think that's basically it? I need to install at least the driver's front seat, and put the steering wheel back on, but those are quick. I need to "eventually" swap out the passenger door but that's not an emergency, the driver's handle is broken, but I've got replacement hardware for both doors and can get to that later. Driver's door needs to be aligned/adjusted, but probably should take it in to a body shop for that.

The transfer case needs to be filled but that can be an enormous pain in the rear end because the stuff for that is very thick. I could maybe check and see if there's a squeeze packet for it now.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I think some miserable bastard may have stolen the radiator, because "that's" certainly something of value.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Oh, and apparently folks are just using fluid transfer pumps for the transfer case. Rear and transmission too.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've always just used the bottle top pumps for all my drive line fluids, even the .3qt transfer cases when people want shockproof heavy. I do have about 5-6 of them in little zip bags for different fluids, just because the Getrag transmissions are bitchy about wanting GL4 fluids only.

I've often thought about a big funnel and long hose for filling transmissions, but for as often as I do it I just suck it up and use the pump.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

My plans have gone to poo poo yet again as usual but I hope to be in your area like, sometime this week.

Assuming this guy ever answers his messages. I'm not holding my breath.

Guessing someone stole your radiator for scrap. I've had a few stolen but luckily they were always the old one leaned on a tree in my driveway waiting for *my* next scrap run, not straight up lifted out of a car I cared about.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I'm more pissed that the fans were attached so now I have to find a set of those too. It was just one from performance radiator, nothing special.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

I think some miserable bastard may have stolen the radiator, because "that's" certainly something of value.

Lol, nevermind.

It looks like in a somewhat rare showing of intelligence, past Michael thought "hey, let's put this unattached radiator in the trunk so some meth head doesn't try to steal it."

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Kastein was good enough to come over to work on the car on Sunday. We managed to put in two bolts to attach what has turned out to be a broken bracket, and then spent the next several hours yammering on about cars and electronics.

We did manage to use his colonoscopy camera on my intake and exhaust and that looks pretty clean; no rodents taking up residence :quagmire:.

Now that I'm on meds again and not bleeding internally (and that I'm in theory ramping up on the new job), this will hopefully be the start I need to get this drat thing to at least a driveable state.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Any time dude! Well, assuming my shitshow of a life doesn't change my plans on a given day anyways.

I'm going to be heading down to Centralia for a club event next weekend so at the latest I can take a bunch of pics and video of that donor car then for reference on where all the bolts go.

That camera has been incredibly useful over the years. The image quality isn't great but the price was right. The original app by the manufacturer was removed from the play store when they came out with a new model (don't ever buy depstech on Amazon, they literally rugpulled me) but after downloading like 30 random inspection camera apps and trying them all, this other random one worked.

Chef Brian
Jul 20, 2004

HAY KB THANKS FOR BUYING ME MY ACCOUNT! I THINK THIS IS AN APPROPRIATE WAY TO THANK YOU! -A-ARSE

kastein posted:

That camera has been incredibly useful over the years. The image quality isn't great but the price was right. The original app by the manufacturer was removed from the play store when they came out with a new model (don't ever buy depstech on Amazon, they literally rugpulled me) but after downloading like 30 random inspection camera apps and trying them all, this other random one worked.

Well gently caress. What app ended up working?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

In my case, one called "USB camera". It's ultra obnoxious with the ad supported nonsense and it's buggy enough I'm not gonna pay for it, but it puts a camera picture on the screen if I fiddle with it enough to convince it to find the camera device.

Not sure I'd recommend it really unless you get rugged by your camera maker too. I also don't know if it's malicious or not TBH. It made it so my amateur bunghole inspection camera worked again and that's where I stopped thinking about it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shenyaocn.android.usbcamera

There are a bunch of these apps and not all of them work with not all cameras.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Of course when I finally have some ability to work on a car and the weather isn't poo poo it has to be on the Accord.

Future Michael needs to remember rotors need to be replaced next time; rears wore down to metal so one of them is grooved to poo poo now.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

!!!!!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Kastein and Elivscat came out on Saturday to make some bad decisio,..... help work on the car.

We managed to:

- run some wiring harness
- break loose the clutch line
- swap out the clutch line bracket with one that didn't have the ear broken off
- install the fuse box
- try to install the upper intercooler pipe
- realize that it goes under the fuse box
- uninstall fuse box
- realize that clutch line bracket wasn't broken, it was cut for clearance
- break loose clutch line
- remove "unbroken" bracket
- reinstall "broken" bracket
- install upper intercooler pipe
- install fuse box
- realize we can't get the u-bend to connect the pipe to the throttle body pipe
- remove fuse box
- get that sort of installed
- reinstall fuse box
- detach wheel well cover to open up area to install intercooler
- poo poo. that goes around the whole wheel well.
- gently caress it, cut that piece out, it's damaged and I have one in better condition
- remove wheel
- with what spline socket again?
- find spline socket for lugs
- remove wheel
- gently caress. Now we can't get the intercooler in place
- remove fuse box
- dick around with intercooler, upper intercooler pipe fitment
- where are the intercooler bolts?
- well, here's one, attached to a mount from the old intercooler
- install intercooler, connect to upper intercooler pipe, connect to throttle body elbow
- install lower intercooler pipe.
- (kastien does a bunch of poo poo to fix some lovely neglected sensor wiring while swearing about how stupid electrical engineers are at design)
- try to drop in radiator to verify clearance for wiring
- why the gently caress doesn't it fit? (it was upside down)
- now, why the gently caress doesn't it fit? (lower intercooler pipe clamps needed to be rotated)
- pull radiator back out
- jack up transmission a bit so we could replace the wrong front roll stop bolt with the correct one
- also notice that the passenger side engine mount doesn't have a washer and probably is also the wrong size, replace that one too

By then, it was cold, dark, and getting really fuckin' wimdy so we stood around and stared at the car while coming up with things to look at/figure out to prep for next session

All in all, loving PROGRESS.

Big thanks to kastein and elviscat for making the trip out to make some serious progress on getting this turd back on the road.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Any time dude! The new battery to fuse box wire just arrived and hopefully the rest of the lugs, fuse, fuse socket, and heatshrink for the rest of the B+ wiring will arrive at some point.

I think we might have to swap that fuse box in and out another 5 or 6 times, too. You know, just in case.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

It looks like Past Michael made some good decisions RE: vehicle registrations so all Present Michael is gonna have to do is go down to the licensing place with :100bux: and get new tabs. Won't even need to get new plates.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

We definitely didn't just have to pull the intercooler and fuse box back out again

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

We definitely didn't just have to pull the intercooler and fuse box back out again

Not both of them, that's for sure.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Getting preeeety close to done.

Mostly waiting for a few 'lectrical components to wrap up that then about ready to try a start.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Here's a current engine bay pic, Kastein decided my choice of power wire was unacceptable.

I think the last of the electrical stuff has arrived, need to get those run, and we're going to screw in a small plate so we can get the fuse for that line attached. Once that's done we're about ready to finish up the rest of the stuff and try to turn the car on.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, I think everything is here now. I just got back from the Enduro race I was supporting so my schedule is a bit more open now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

NGL, that wire looks a lot better than the kinda :rice: wire you had before.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Elviscat posted:

NGL, that wire looks a lot better than the kinda :rice: wire you had before.

He had some opinions about the quality of the wire.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If it were solid copper I would have been mostly ok with it*, but it was copper clad aluminum, and that poo poo just plain sucks as far as I'm concerned. (Though I realize most people don't really care enough about wires to know the difference.)

* Most audio enthusiast marketed power cable doesn't really have high temp or chemical rated insulation, but it would have done fine for a couple years even so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

If it were solid copper I would have been mostly ok with it*, but it was copper clad aluminum, and that poo poo just plain sucks as far as I'm concerned. (Though I realize most people don't really care enough about wires to know the difference.)

* Most audio enthusiast marketed power cable doesn't really have high temp or chemical rated insulation, but it would have done fine for a couple years even so.

What really sucked was removing the fuse box and IC pipe to run the new line.