Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Oops. I thought we were talking about the DSM and not the Saturn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, the injectors are "injecting".

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

1 and 4 aren't firing. Can't find the loving wiring diagram I need to find which two wires have the pulse signal to the ignition module on the coil, so I can't probe them to see if the signal is at least getting to the module.

I've got about 30 minutes then I have to spend more money and go rent a loving car if I can't get this poo poo working.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

IT LIVES.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Fuckingrandommisfirepieceofshit

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
P :420:

Your missing the 1xxx, so no full house for you.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Car is hopefully less broken, not quite 14 and I went to the yard and picked up a replacement injector harness and swapped that out, and tightened the exhaust nut that was probably causing the leak.

Also grabbed a new door lock actuator module, but haven't replaced it yet.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I can definitely tell you that an O2 sensor spacer :airquote: spark plug spacers :airquote: does the trick to eliminate good ol' P0420 on your L61 Ecotec that definitely never sees any use on public roads. You need a 90 degree one,. though.

Only something to worry about if you have to do emissions testing for your non-public roads, or get tired of the CEL.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I can definitely tell you that an O2 sensor spacer :airquote: spark plug spacers :airquote: does the trick to eliminate good ol' P0420 on your L61 Ecotec that definitely never sees any use on public roads. You need a 90 degree one,. though.

Only something to worry about if you have to do emissions testing for your non-public roads, or get tired of the CEL.

Or I could just, fix the problem?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Catalytic converters are expensive.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well yeah. The cat costs a few hundred on rockauto. It's a complete downpipe assembly, of course.

The design looks like you'd be able to cut it out and weld in a universal one, so you could probably knock it down to $100 (or less) if you got a cat yourself and found an exhaust shop that would install it.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

MikeyTsi posted:

Your Bosch code scanner looks an awful lot like the Actron CP9125 I had a while back. The case looks exactly the same, and it was even called a "pocketscan". Definitely some hardware design sharing or cross breeding or something going on.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Guys, start with the low numbered and first listed codes first, that's standard diag and repair procedure.

There's a possibility the cat isn't even bad, or will barely pass once the other issues are cleared up. I had P0171, P0301, P0302, and P0420 on my Forester when the coilpack wasn't firing 1 or 2 and all of them went away once I fixed it.

I am pretty sure Mikey realizes this, and you're telling him to fix the symptoms rather than the upstream cause first.

Also, an injector circuit malfunction and a misfire on the same cylinder sure do point to something, and it aint the cat. My guess, the injector's not firing properly (it's a circuit code - so harness, ECU, or injector electrical issue), or is stuck open (unlikely unless the issue is that the injector driver or harness is shorted to ground, keeping the injector on all the time), resulting in a misfire on that cylinder, which regardless of the fuel trim added will result in unburned oxygen in the #1 exhaust. So the O2 sensor that monitors all 4 cylinders is going to see extra O2 no matter what it does to the fuel trim, and will go full-rich as a result. That could easily cause the catcon monitor O2 sensor to show full-rich, which will trip P0420.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 27, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

True enough. He did say they've already swapped the injector harness, so I'm assuming the misfire and injector codes are historical codes at this point. No way to know 100% until they clear the codes and drive it a bit, though.

FWIW, the cat they put behind the same engine in my car took a poo poo around 85k.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Misfire related fuckery appears to be gone after replacing the bad harness, injector one was obviously having intermittent spray problems when we were moving the plug and wiring around before changing it out.

The smoke weed erry day code came back this evening, so either the old exhaust gasket poo poo the bed and I need to replace it with the one from the really expensive rebuild set I bought at Napa, or the cat decided to poo poo the bed from all the misfiring and fuel I've apparently been dumping in to it. I've been considering seeing if I can get one from a yard.

At least it's not a code that causes the car to not want to run.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Vanagoon posted:

Your Bosch code scanner looks an awful lot like the Actron CP9125 I had a while back. The case looks exactly the same, and it was even called a "pocketscan". Definitely some hardware design sharing or cross breeding or something going on.

It's actually a little more than 12's scanner. I have one of the Actrons around somewhere.

I'm pretty positive it's the same code reader with a different casing and logos, even the functions and displays are identical.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MikeyTsi posted:

I've been considering seeing if I can get one from a yard.

I thought it was illegal to buy a secondhand cat :confused:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It definitely is against EPA rules, but some smaller shadier yards may either not care or not bother removing cats from some cars...

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

To ask a stupid question, why is it when I scrapped a couple cars, the only thing they cared about was the cat? If they can't resell it, why were they always so insistent that it had one and lifted it to look before they'd haul it off? Can it be broken down into meth or something?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lots of rare earth metals to scrap. Same reason meth heads will go down a street cutting them out of cars.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, a cat is worth a decent chunk. Anywhere from $10-150 for an OEM cat.

MikeyTsi posted:

The smoke weed erry day code came back this evening, so either the old exhaust gasket poo poo the bed and I need to replace it with the one from the really expensive rebuild set I bought at Napa, or the cat decided to poo poo the bed from all the misfiring and fuel I've apparently been dumping in to it. I've been considering seeing if I can get one from a yard.

At least on my car, they put an itty bitty cat on, and I started getting :420: codes before 100k. It would come and go up until about 120k.

Rockauto (and aftermarket catalytic converter manufacturers) claim I'm supposed to have 2 cats on my car, so either someone's replaced it with the automatic downpipe (which has 1 cat instead of 2), something got mixed up on the assembly line, or Rockauto and all of the 3rd party catalytic converter companies are full of lies. Or for some reason it got replaced in the past, but when I got the car it only had 60k, so that's a bit unlikely (also it's as rusty as the rest of the exhaust). No loving clue why the manual transmission version of my car is supposed to have 2 cats.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 28, 2017

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Looks like there's a federal cat out there for around $150, I'll probably end up picking that up.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I've had rather a lot of house crap taking what time I have, hopefully I'll have a non-crappy Wednesday soon so I can try to make some progress on the car.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I've been having to replace the back fence for the house which is taking up my weekends. Potential new job is in opposite direction from girlfriend's work and is bullshit to get to by transit, so I'm going to need to try to get this loving thing running.

Might even post some updates?

Oh, and the Saturn died. Again. Looks like the fuel pump poo poo the bed this time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I know a lot of other L61 cars had enough issues with the fuel pump that GM put out an "enhanced warranty" on them (for the life of the car). I think it mostly applies to Delta platform cars, but it's worth checking into.

The main issue was the pump fittings cracking. I had it happen on my Ion about 2 1/2 years ago. Probably not what (completely) happened here, but if you were starting to smell fuel while it was parked, you may want to look into that.

There's a recall for the ignition module on the L series too (GM recall # 03033). If it's like the ignition module in the 2006 L61, the ignition module is responsible for detecting cam position (it uses compression sense instead of a CPS). I'm not sure if it'll fire the injectors or not if the ignition module fails.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I know a lot of other L61 cars had enough issues with the fuel pump that GM put out an "enhanced warranty" on them (for the life of the car). I think it mostly applies to Delta platform cars, but it's worth checking into.

The main issue was the pump fittings cracking. I had it happen on my Ion about 2 1/2 years ago. Probably not what (completely) happened here, but if you were starting to smell fuel while it was parked, you may want to look into that.

There's a recall for the ignition module on the L series too (GM recall # 03033). If it's like the ignition module in the 2006 L61, the ignition module is responsible for detecting cam position (it uses compression sense instead of a CPS). I'm not sure if it'll fire the injectors or not if the ignition module fails.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the pump just died. Don't hear it cycle, no pressure at the schrader valve, and wasn't able to resolve it by swapping the fuse or the relay.

Compression is good and it's not throwing any new codes.

I don't want to deal with dropping the tank in the driveway so it's going to cost around $600 that I really don't have to spend right now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gotcha. Thought I'd throw that out there in case you had started smelling gas, figured it might have the possibility to turn into a "get a new fuel pump free" card. :v: Mine had gone from "fuel pump in a closed system" to "lawn sprinkler that happens to spray gas", and GM wound up paying for it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

shortspecialbus posted:

To ask a stupid question, why is it when I scrapped a couple cars, the only thing they cared about was the cat? If they can't resell it, why were they always so insistent that it had one and lifted it to look before they'd haul it off? Can it be broken down into meth or something?

From the point of view of a scrapyard the cat pays for most of the amount they're paying you for the car. Then they either strip and shelve the parts, or dump it in a muddy field for the u-pick customers. Often both, with the most valuable parts going into inventory. Eventually a well spoken and very polite Chinese man arrives and offers the yard a very generous amount of money to turn most of the cars sinking into the mud into scrap metal and the cycle starts anew. This is how cars go to car heaven.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

FYI, it was the fuel pump.

It took them two loving days to fix it (and I had to rent a car), because they got a bad part and it took them forever to figure that out.

Also, it looks like they broke the rear abs (they claim they didn't do anything, but the light sure as gently caress wasn't on before the got the car). I'm guessing they nicked the rear harness when they were dicking with the gas tank.

Also, the car is losing oil, and it looks like at least some is going out the tailpipe. I only seem to see a real cloud after the car has been sitting a bit, so my suspicion is that the valve stems seals on the head are crap. Would've been super to have replaced them before putting the head on the car, but w/e.

It might just be time to say goodbye to the Saturn once I'm gainfully employed again and can afford something else.

As for the subject of this thread, maybe I can manage to motivate myself to start putting the rest together next week, we'll see.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My 06 Saturn doesn't have ABS. :colbert:

I don't think it was commonly optioned on the Ionrys or Cobalts; it was standard on almost all of the USDM GM lineup from the mid 80s until the 2003 model year, then it became an option on the lower end cars.

If the shop has access to a Verus, Tech2, etc, they can figure out what's wrong with the ABS in a few minutes. Betting they don't, though. I have access to a Verus via a friend, it came in handy to figure out what the persistent body code is on my car (car is pissy about the factory radio not being there). Pretty sweet tool, but eye wateringly expensive.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

My 06 Saturn doesn't have ABS. :colbert:

I don't think it was commonly optioned on the Ionrys or Cobalts; it was standard on almost all of the USDM GM lineup from the mid 80s until the 2003 model year, then it became an option on the lower end cars.

If the shop has access to a Verus, Tech2, etc, they can figure out what's wrong with the ABS in a few minutes. Betting they don't, though. I have access to a Verus via a friend, it came in handy to figure out what the persistent body code is on my car (car is pissy about the factory radio not being there). Pretty sweet tool, but eye wateringly expensive.

They claim that the RR abs sensor just "went out"; they at least have sufficient gear to report which sensor is reporting down. I am skeptical of that claim as it was working the day before it went in to the shop and, while they wouldn't be touching the sensor (since it's loving embedded in the hub for some dumb reason), the wiring harness for it appears to be rather tantalizingly close to stuff they were loving with.

Also, the wiring harness is like 1/10 the cost of the hub/abs assembly, and I don't have to tear loving drum brakes off to get to it. I figure I'll eliminate the most likely culprit first.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh god, yeah, don't blame you one bit, especially since they were just in the area that the wiring was in. If you had access to a scope you could check the sensor, but that's not something most people have easy access to. Best you can really do is check the circuit from end to end, but even that's gonna require a meter with long as hell probes (and probably more time than just throwing a new sub harness at it).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 6, 2017

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Oh god, yeah, don't blame you one bit, especially since they were just in the area that the wiring was in. If you had access to a scope you could check the sensor, but that's not something most people have easy access to. Best you can really do is check the circuit from end to end, but even that's gonna require a meter with long as hell probes (and probably more time than just throwing a new sub harness at it).

I could probably check Autozone or O'Reilly and see if they've got one, but I'm guessing it won't provide any more useful info than I already got.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Depression sucks, guys.

Saturn is burning about a quart of oil a week, so once I'm gainfully employed again it'll probably be time to say goodbye to it.

Being without a job is making it really difficult to be motivated to do much of anything, so the Talon's just been sitting. I'm not sure what I can do to get myself motivated to do anything about that right now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Been there. Especially sucks when you don't have money for gas, parts, or insurance, so you feel like there's nothing to do and no point to doing it. Hope poo poo gets better for you soon dude :sigh:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I've got an opportunity for a 1-month contract, but it's in Quincy. They're apparently offering hotel stay there during the week, but won't negotiate that to a rental car instead and I don't have a way to reliably get there without it.

Had two people contact me yesterday though, one of which was a contact because the client told the recruiter to specifically get a hold of me, so maybe something positive is coming?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Saturns (at least the early ones with the 1.9L) burn a ton of oil, just keep a case in your trunk.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

His has the Ecotec 2.2 L61 (same engine I have). Some are unicorns and never use or leak much (which seems to be the case with mine), some try to imitate the 1.9. Most of them try to imitate the SS Valez and piss oil everywhere, but not burning much. The earlier L61s also had timing chain issues and will skip timing if you anger them.

In his case, I think he had a head swap after a timing incident, and it turned into an oil burner afterwards?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

His has the Ecotec 2.2 L61 (same engine I have). Some are unicorns and never use or leak much (which seems to be the case with mine), some try to imitate the 1.9. Most of them try to imitate the SS Valez and piss oil everywhere, but not burning much. The earlier L61s also had timing chain issues and will skip timing if you anger them.

In his case, I think he had a head swap after a timing incident, and it turned into an oil burner afterwards?

Yeah, it skipped timing (actually engine 1.5, it took a poo poo earlier in its life and was replaced under warranty), but I just replaced the head because the bottom end looked like it was still in good shape. Which means either the valve stem seals were poo poo (I really wish we'd replaced them when the head was out, they came in the loving kit and everything), or the rings took a dump after swapping the head. I'm definitely seeing it going out the tailpipe, so there's definitely some going in to the combustion chamber.

I wish there was a tool you could stick in the spark plug holes that would lock the valves in place so you can just pull the seals out real quick.