Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There is. It's called rope.

.... not 100% reliable.

There's also air chucks made specifically for that, they're meant to connect to shop air and pressurize that cylinder. But again, not 100% reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^^ :argh:

MikeyTsi posted:

I wish there was a tool you could stick in the spark plug holes that would lock the valves in place so you can just pull the seals out real quick.

You can either stuff a length of rope down the spark plug hole and jam the piston up against it (and, therefore, the valves), or get a spark-plug-to-air chuck adapter.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Gainfully employed again, I'm now working at 343.

Got my official Spartan number and everything.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's awesome

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So, if you put your hand down in the exhaust, and when you look at it you can see droplets of oil that's okay, right?

Asking for a friend.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

MikeyTsi posted:

So, if you put your hand down in the exhaust, and when you look at it you can see droplets of oil that's okay, right?

Asking for a friend.

This is generally a sign that you need to change your muffler bearing fluid.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Saturn is done, tabs expired February and no way it's going to pass emissions.

So, looking for a cheap compact or sub-compact sedan, thinking probably a Civic.

About how many miles can you expect to get out of an early 2000's car these days before the drivetrain is done?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
A decently maintained Civic will go 300k pretty easy.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Pretty simple to maintain as well.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Any other good ones from that vintage? Thinking Corolla, Accord, Camry, maybe a Impreza or Outback?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
So depending on various configurations, 4 cyl Subarus could have head gasket issues.

The V6 Camry could have sludging issues iirc, not sure on the date range for those. V6 Accords like to kill the auto transmission depending on the year. I think all of the 4 banger Camry Corolla Accord Civics are pretty solid.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/2002-volvo-v70xc/6482074108.html

Its is

290,000 miles on the chassis

Unknown miles on the motor and tranny
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 3, 2018, at 1:58 PM, Michael Amos <eed7dba277af3ea9aa167dd408be8d34@reply.craigslist.org> wrote:
Hi, wondering if this vehicle is still available?
If so, I wanted to know:
-How many miles on the chassis?
-Why was the drivetrain replaced, and how many miles are currently on it?
Thanks!

Im not sure the previous owner never gave me the paper work
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 3, 2018, at 5:55 PM, Michael Amos <eed7dba277af3ea9aa167dd408be8d34@reply.craigslist.org> wrote:
When was the last time major service was done? (Timing belt, fluid change, etc)

Ive put about 2000 miles on it since i got it and haven't had any issues
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 3, 2018, at 8:44 PM, Michael Amos <eed7dba277af3ea9aa167dd408be8d34@reply.craigslist.org> wrote:
Well, how many miles have you put on it then? It would give somewhat of a guide.

Seems legit.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

bit of a jump from sub-compact to v70xc....

Don't get me wrong, I love Volvo's, but its probably not the best option for reliable transportation. It does have the best engine for that era, though.

Do yourself a favor and go the boring route. Go buy the nicest/cheapest 5spd corolla you can find and drive it for the next 100k+ miles with the most basic maintenance. Bonus points if you can find a "Geo Prizm" to avoid the Toyota tax.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

Any other good ones from that vintage? Thinking Corolla, Accord, Camry, maybe a Impreza or Outback?

398,000 on my 00 Accord V6 before I sold it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

slurry_curry posted:

bit of a jump from sub-compact to v70xc....

Don't get me wrong, I love Volvo's, but its probably not the best option for reliable transportation. It does have the best engine for that era, though.

Do yourself a favor and go the boring route. Go buy the nicest/cheapest 5spd corolla you can find and drive it for the next 100k+ miles with the most basic maintenance. Bonus points if you can find a "Geo Prizm" to avoid the Toyota tax.

It was a joke. The XC seemed like it might be a good option, but since it's got pretty ridiculous miles, age and condition of the drivetrain is unknown, and the guy has absolutely no maintenance history it's a crapshoot I don't want to play.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Oh God. It's been like 4 years since I've given a poo poo about my broken DSM. This week I've been working on it. I've even spent money on parts this month. I'm so confused. Please send help.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I saw a 98 TSI AWD on CL and I thought for about 2 seconds about it. Then decided it was a horrible idea. I loved my 92 but all I did was work on it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You would think that I, as a fellow crazy person, would've fully understood the thread title...but no, it took a Doug DeMuro video to clue me in. :downs:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Always pissed me off trying to search for DSM parts on ebay and coming up with that manual back in the 2000's.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'll be in the Seattle area from tomorrow morning till next weekend if you want to go junkyarding or need a hand wrenching​ on stuff.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

I'll be in the Seattle area from tomorrow morning till next weekend if you want to go junkyarding or need a hand wrenching​ on stuff.

Man, I could definitely use someone to hold me accountable to trying to get this drat thing finished and back on the road.

I'm off work Friday and Saturday, if it ends up not pissing down rain and it fits in with your schedule.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MikeyTsi posted:

Man, I could definitely use someone to hold me accountable to trying to get this drat thing finished and back on the road.

I'm off work Friday and Saturday, if it ends up not pissing down rain and it fits in with your schedule.

I think we have plans Saturday but not sure, Friday is probably a better bet, but I'm not really in control of the schedule fully here.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

I think we have plans Saturday but not sure, Friday is probably a better bet, but I'm not really in control of the schedule fully here.

Okay, keep me posted.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I am really bad at that :sigh:

We might hit up an equipment auction Saturday in the port orchard area, but not sure. Might be around today or tonight? Or tomorrow? Do I have you on Facebook? Messenger is usually the best way to get ahold of me quickly these days.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Probably not, most of the Facebook contact I have with AI people is just through the group.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Hello friend who has a DSM and never wants to work on it. I recently started working on mine again after a 4 year hiatus of it just sitting. I last put gas in my TSi in 2012 and it still drives well. I'm really happy I'm making progress again as I either need to finish this thing or sell it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I just can't loving catch a loving break.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Hello friend who has a DSM and never wants to work on it. I recently started working on mine again after a 4 year hiatus of it just sitting. I last put gas in my TSi in 2012 and it still drives well. I'm really happy I'm making progress again as I either need to finish this thing or sell it.

Do what I did. Sell it.

I miss it a little, but I do not miss dropping transmissions, I do not miss "Oh poo poo what's next" every time I drove it, I don't miss having to go fix things instead of riding my bike or go to my parents to make sure some stupid nut is still there.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

Do what I did. Sell it.

I miss it a little, but I do not miss dropping transmissions, I do not miss "Oh poo poo what's next" every time I drove it, I don't miss having to go fix things instead of riding my bike or go to my parents to make sure some stupid nut is still there.

That's the Accord, dude.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Fuuuuuck that sucks.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So, that took three loving weeks, cost a lot more than it had any business costing, but at least the Accord is back and functional now.

Got Aux installed too, and discovered that the Accord uses garbage grounds. Not sure how I'm going to fix that or if I care enough right now.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

If 23 years of car ownership has taught me one thing, it is this absolute and immutable fact:

The PO is ALWAYS a dipshit.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Craigslist flakes can gently caress off and die.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Trying to sell the DSM and finally kill off this thread?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

No, trying to sell the busted-rear end motor from the Accord.

I've had no less than three people get to the "okay, I'm coming down", then just never actually show up.

I'll get around to finishing the Talon eventually, just dealing with the house stuff is sucking my soul right now.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Housing stuff should be resolved (to the point where I'll no longer be in imminent fear of losing the house), by EoW.

Worked on a car on Sunday, unfortunately it was just replacing the brakes on the Accord. I've been sorting through tools (inherited plus my own) and trying to get them organized so I have one less thing to use as an excuse to not get the Talon finished.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Posting so it doesn't get locked.

Too cold to work on car at the moment, but still haven't given it up.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Seattle: Welcome to second winter!

Getting not totally screwed on my taxes this year, so I should be able to pick up the last few parts I need to finish the vehicle. Probably order what I need once I get the money deposited so I can try to finish up once it warms up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009