Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Countdown to "crank walk" image being posted.

Walked right out of the car.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Anyway. As I'm sure most of you are already aware, the last several months haven't really been the greatest I've had.

The latest "fun" news was getting notice from my landlord on Monday morning telling me "I'm going to have people doing pruning in the backyard, so the cars have to be moved by Saturday". Then the guy across the street with the truck flaked on helping me move them.

So 14" and I did it with his tiny Civic.

Fortunately the "new" house (my mother left it to me) is only about a block away from the place I'm renting, and has a loving paved driveway and a carport, so it should make finishing the car considerably less lovely. And they're both on the ground now, so I can start really digging in to the car so I can swap the shifter/cables/engine harness, which are the things I need to do next before I start putting the rest of the car back together.

Of course, I now have to split time with all the activities I've got coming up (summer is really drat busy for me), plus I need to dedicate time to doing renovations on the house, AND then I have to get everything moved from the place I'm renting.

I'll get it done, we'll just see if it's before or after I buy a Lancer. :)

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

ssjonizuka posted:

That means we need at least 2 more of those things for this thread.

I had a '91 AWD a while back as well. Not on number 4 yet though.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Oh, looks like there's a guy that's parting out his 2G and might have a cheap Fluidyne for sale, might have to snap that up (I hate radiators with plastic components).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Parts!

It's 1/0 AWG for the new alternator, with a bonus spool to re-do the grounds. I bought some ring terminals so I can connect the power wire to the alternator, and I already bought a set of battery posts with large openings for cable.

Still need to pick up a 150A breaker or fusebox for the line, but that shouldn't be hard to find.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

If you can deal with the fuse being 175 instead iirc mid 90s ford f150s have a nice mega fuse holder and 175 amp mega fuse on the passenger side of the firewall under the hood, two of them actually, connected right to the starter solenoid.

That seems like extra work for not a lot of gain.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Landlord update: Didn't even loving come out last weekend, apparently they broke the pruning tool. Coming out this weekend though, while I'll be out of town.

Looks like my current plan is to go home after work and spend a bit of time dicking with the car while I'm waiting for the girl to get home. Then eat dinner and back to the house (this time to work on the house itself to get ready to move in).

We'll see how it goes. Today's schedule is to get most of the parts and my tools moved over, then tear out the seats and part of the interior plastics so I can get on swapping the engine harness and shifter/cables. I should start tearing in to the dash soon as well so I can replace the lock cylinder in the ignition and start working on updating my lighting.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

A DSM koan for you:

How does one remove a power seat while lacking power?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Managed to get one of the seats out, the others probably going to have to wait until I've got the battery and fusebox back in the car.

In the past thirteen years owning one car I'd forgotten how totally lameawesome it is dealing with some dipshitprevious owner's lovely bodges innovative solutions.

Let's have ourselves a few moments, shall we?

lovely stereo wiring. Well, at least that isn't a surprise.

Oh, come ON. Really?

What the hell is this?

No, seriously. What the hell is this doing in here?

I'm going to need to trace that switch and find out what the gently caress it's going to. I wonder if it's some half-assed attempt at a kill switch or something equally stupid.

MikeyTsi fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 1, 2015

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

That last pic is some kind of rheostat. Probably to adjust the level going to a :krad: sub amp, one with line level inputs (judging by all the speaker wire, the plain regular wire going to the rheostat, the lack of any RCAs in sight, and the blue wire [typically used to turn on an amp] being connected to.. something).

I've seen (and in my teen years, done) worse wiring, but that's still special.

If an adapter harness was used (assuming from the wire colors, it looks like they did use one), it looks like they at least started out trying to keep it neat. And it just kind of grew into a mess as they added on to the system.

e: okay, looks like that adapter harness has been through more than a few stereos/cars, if one was even used. :confused: That's butchered to hell. Shouldn't be too bad to fix though, get a junkyard (or Metra) pigtail and some crimps. Hell, you can probably cut out the harness from your old car and use that (cut at least 6 inches more than you think you'll need, preferably at least a foot), assuming you didn't do the same things to it.

I don't cut my harnesses, ever, so that's likely what I'm going to do. It was just REAL special.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, let's get the ECU pulled and get the rest of the engine control harness pulled out so I can swap it with the one from the '97, shall we?

Well. I guess now I know why there were "random problems" with the car. Good thing these are coming out with the control harness, right?

Well, moving on. Let's go ahead and pull the panel underneath the steering wheel, there's some random wires going around, and I want to see if maybe they put an aftermarket alarm or something in here,....

Huh.

WHAT DO I DO, GUYS? I DON'T WANNA GO TO JAIL.

Welp, looks like I'm pulling the dash!

Motherfuckingdamnitshit.

Probably no updates until next week, I"m busy tomorrow night and then I'll be off for the weekend. Stay tuned for another episode of, "What the gently caress?!"

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

PO got it from a buy here pay here lot. They often install a device that either lets them remotely disable the car or requires a new code to be entered every couple of weeks (and sometimes includes a GPS tracker, making their repo much easier). Either way, they usually just abandon them in place once the car is paid off.

Yes, I figured it was something like that. It's super that they're okay with doing a lovely hack-job in to a car and then just loving leave it in there.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

Wow this harness has been hamfucked by a multitude of idiots who shouldn't ever be permitted to touch automotive electrical systems. My condolences dude, that's gonna be annoying to reverse... at least you can mostly just match up color codes and work from there.

Reminds me, I gotta tear the garbage aftermarket alarm out of one of my cars, its disarm switch is A loving DOORBELL BUTTON. DECK SCREWED TO THE INSIDE OF THE ASHTRAY. I don't even know what the gently caress :psyboom:

Best part? The car came with a perfectly good factory alarm originally.

It looks like it's all pretty much just splices and taps, which are relatively easy to fix.

And I do have a perfectly good set of wiring harnesses from the other car, I just REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO HAVE TO PULL THE loving DASH OUT.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Would you guys like to read about my adventures in home renovation in this thread, or should I find a place to create a new one?

I'm finding no shortage of "wtf" already.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Might as well do it there then. I'll set one up and put a link here later tonight, I'll be over there working on house/car this evening so I'll be able to take some of the wtf-ery pictures.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I made a thread for my adventures in home ownership:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733454

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I found Octopus Magic's next DSM:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19940000-Mi...=p2047675.l2557

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

This is why I should stay the gently caress off of Craigslist:

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/5159020119.html

Yeah, I'm rebuilding one and all, but I kind of miss the exclusivity that comes with having one that's legitimately rare. I sent the guy a text, we'll see if I get a response back, AND if said response doesn't end up having a major red flag.

If there isn't, any AI goons near Colorado Springs that would be willing to give it a once over and take it for a shop diagnostic before I decide to spend time and money flying to Colorado?

If I end up buying it I'd just finish the 1995 and sell it and keep this one.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, I guess the guy didn't actually want to sell the car, couldn't get him to respond to any e-mails.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Nah. Yours is the wrong color, and you ruined it by putting the wrong bumpers on it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Debating again pulling the ABS system out of the '97 and installing it in the new car,....

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Found two people selling grey VR-4's. gently caress.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

SUPERIOR JAPANESE SUSPENSION

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Washington is in no way a rust-free state, although it's better than the misbegotten wastelands you're from. And it's going to get worse since they've decided that salt is a much better thing to use on roads in the future than sand.

Fuckers.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

WANT

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I'm sure people have figured this out by now, but there's unlikely to be a whole lot in the way of updates (outside of me lusting over GVR4's) until I get moved. Once I'm actually in the house where the car is parked full time I'll have less excuses to not work on it (especially since I'm currently unemployed).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I have found the ultimate 80's car:

http://greenville.es.craigslist.org/cto/5288304654.html

I really love the late model Conquests for some reason; one of these days I'm going to buy the poo poo out of a good example and swap a 4G63T in to it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

There's a local guy that has a GVR4 cor sale, hope to get a look at it soon.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

th vwls hv scpd posted:

The GVR4 from Texas with the PREEVO plate is in pretty good shape when you see it in person. I think the only one I've ever seen seen in better condition is the guy from Texas with EVO0 for a license plate. That looks like it just rolled out of the dealer.

That one already sold, unfortunately.

For loving $10K, too.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Took a look at a local GVR4 on Saturday, found the following issues:

Definitely has an oil leak.
Failed emissions last time.
Feels like it has a boost leak.
Water is getting in to the trunk, so bad seal somewhere.
Water is also apparently getting in to the driver's footwell.
A/C doesn’t work.
Engine seems "rough". Thinking it could be as simple as bad plugs/wires, or something a lot more serious.
It's a series of things that could be either simple/cheap maintenance items, or could be something seriously wrong. Either way, I'm pretty sure it's not worth $4000 in it's condition.

Trying to decide if I should go forward with an inspection, or if I should just keep looking.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Only 3000 made it to the US, and a good portion of those have been destroyed. And they're a bit more than just a clapped-out tuner car.

It's like complaining that a '64 Mustang is a clapped-out muscle car.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

You know what a really smart thing to do is?

Make sure you put all of your tools and car parts in the corner of a room, then move a whole house worth of boxes in front of it.

This would be a great time to try to get my car finished too, since I'm still looking for work and all.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, well, well, what do we have here?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KYB AGX's and what should be Eibach Pro-kits.

Now I need to find stuff to make sure I can get the alignment back in-spec after install.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

The alternator was only spitting out 30A. The factory spec is 65A. After the ground and positive lead were replaced, it does 80A.

I hope to someday learn what the hell the previous owner did to this. Also more black duct tape for everything.

Put a 4G63T in it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Ordered a set of trans/motor mount bolts today, because it obviously has the wrong ones in at least one place and gently caress if I know where I and the rest of the monkeys that have worked on this car know where they are now.

Got my tax return money, so I'm going to get the alignment correction pieces I need and I'm thinking about either picking up the other few prothane kits I need to do all the suspension bits, OR buy new suspension pieces and also buy the prothane kits and just swap out the rubber bushings for the prothane bits.

I also want to replace the carpet, but that may wait a bit.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Found another Galant I want but can't afford.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5607439143.html

On another note, the bolts I needed showed up and 14" should be coming by on Thursday. Plan there is to probably first check out the failed A/C in the Saturn so I can see how hard it's going to be to make it comfortable in the heat again, and then probably then start getting the Talon reassembled so I can start driving it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

In other car news, the Saturn has a blown compressor, which is just SUPER on 90+ degree weekends.

And the CHEAP end of replacements for one is apparently north of $200.