Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Gamergate is basically some twitter drama that happened in 2014, and some people still want to post about that.

Normal D&D rules apply. In addition:

Don't
  • Use this thread to plan, or talk about, the wicked sick burns you make on twitter.
  • Descend into a slapfight, this isn't the place to air your forums grudges.
  • Troll this thread.

Rulebreaking will be dealt with harshly. I don't know anything about #Gamergate, and don't really want to find out more. And please remember that video games aren't very important in the greater scheme of things, when you really think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

gamers are dumb

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Exclamation Marx posted:

And please remember that video games aren't very important in the greater scheme of things, when you really think about it.

As a Real Gamer with over 20 thousand hours of Gaming on various platform I find this disrespect of my native culture highly offensive and I think it is unfair that we Gamers are being marginalized which is basically racist against Gaming.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Wait this is still a thing?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Here is my controversial opinion on Gamergate: Women are people and death threats against them are bad.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I used to like video games, then it became a "culture" with "master races" and costumes and stupid figurines and MRAs and I realized I was a man, not a child, and stopped playing them mostly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Radbot posted:

I used to like video games, then it became a "culture" with "master races" and costumes and stupid figurines and MRAs and I realized I was a man, not a child, and stopped playing them mostly.

You can still play video games and just look down on all the people who are weird about them.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
i am a Pong player and REALLY HATE it when people denigrate my Pong-playing lifestyle

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Lancelot posted:

Here is my controversial opinion on Gamergate: Women are people and death threats against them are bad.
But what if I'm really upset and angry??

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010
here are some top games. 1. counter-strike 2.dead island 3. hm dota maybe=? im not good at it but its fun .

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Wait this is still a thing?

It'll probably exist as long as dumb people and social media do.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Radbot posted:

Gamers ruined gaming. This is an undeniable fact.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Have the cops seriously not started arresting these shits yet? Death threats and attempted murder are pretty clearly against the law

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Look at all these console peasants who have to hate ugly real women when the glorious PC master race can simply mod in hot women with huge tits and anime hair to hate.

:smug:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

Have the cops seriously not started arresting these shits yet? Death threats and attempted murder are pretty clearly against the law

Nope, did you see that John Oliver piece this week? The cops don't take internet death threats/harassment too seriously.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Petition to rename this thread "Gamerghazi".

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You can still play video games and just look down on all the people who are weird about them.

p much this. The poo poo you consume doesn't define who you are, it's how you think about it and your attitudes around it that really matters. The idea that videogames are childish persists because the loudest voices about videogames (GamerGate, 8chan etc.) are either manchildren or literal children who've chosen to build their public identities around the consumption of that particular form of media. You don't have to be a part of that shite to like playing games.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 26, 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Isn't there an entire terrible thread in GBS to post about gg in?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Radbot posted:

I was a man, not a child,

Why pick one when you can be both?!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Exclamation Marx posted:

Rulebreaking will be dealt with harshly. I don't know anything about #Gamergate, and don't really want to find out more.

It's about ethics in gaming journalism.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I TOO am angry at women for some reason?

Seriously though. Why is this still an issue? It was obvious the whole thing was an excuse for some hosed up people to really put the knife into women. Theres not a lot of "debate and discussion" on this one. If you send death and rape threats to women, your a terrible person. This would be a "gas/ban" thread if it wasnt for its official mod mandate, no offence EM.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 26, 2015

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010
fun game and gate video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqB1uoDTdKM

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

duck monster posted:

Seriously though. Why is this still an issue?

It's not, in any way shape or form, but some mentally insane people want to keep posting about it, and here is more appropriate than GBS.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
When I look at the sorry state of Suikoden: Beach Volleyball Babes V, I can't help but feel that the radical homosexual agenda has tainted videogames. There is just no artistry anymore, it's like the developers didn't even care about taking advantage of the new X-Box's hardware acceleration for their jiggle physics.

At this point, we may as well just give up.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I feel like someone should create a thread about the problems of modern/online social justice activism in general, of which gamergate is a microcosm.

Someone other than me.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Serious post: I thought it all began with Rome 2 when the game was realized in a really poor form (unplayable) despite a lot of review companies giving it like 9/10s and 10/10s.

Then I found out it was actually about feminism and the video game industry. I still am super lost and would appreciate a decent summary on the issue so I can appreciate it.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
There was a nice thread here about twitter making everyone braindead that was closed a long time ago. I think it'd be better to just bring that back.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thunder Moose posted:

Serious post: I thought it all began with Rome 2 when the game was realized in a really poor form (unplayable) despite a lot of review companies giving it like 9/10s and 10/10s.

Then I found out it was actually about feminism and the video game industry. I still am super lost and would appreciate a decent summary on the issue so I can appreciate it.

I also managed to miss most of it so I have been trying to pretend like I know what's going on for the past year or so.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Thunder Moose posted:

In 2013 Zoe Quinn released a free video game for free about depression. In 2014, her caremad ex-boyfriend made a blog post about how much he hated her because she'd rather sleep with people that aren't him. He posted this rant on reddit, 4 Chan, ect. The ethics in games journalism cry came in when Zoe herself confirmed that yeah, she once slept with a dude who worked for kotaku. Said dude never reviewed her free game, nor had any editorial power.

So yeah, it's about hating women b/c they don't want to gently caress you.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Gamergate has a pretty good structural mapping to the confederate flag, with misogyny replacing racism and journalism ethics replacing states rights.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

duck monster posted:

I TOO am angry at women for some reason?

Seriously though. Why is this still an issue? It was obvious the whole thing was an excuse for some hosed up people to really put the knife into women. Theres not a lot of "debate and discussion" on this one. If you send death and rape threats to women, your a terrible person. This would be a "gas/ban" thread if it wasnt for its official mod mandate, no offence EM.

Every time the whole clusterfuck seems to settle down, someone does something to make the whole thing light up again. Its been going like this for almost a year now. This thread wouldn't be needed if people would stop shooting themselves in the foot.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Someone change my name here to AIDSnita Suckjewsian because mods refuses to do so on other forums. Thank you.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Also what's D&D's stance on hot twinks cosplaying as anime characters?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Thunder Moose posted:

Basically "gaming journalism" was a farce since Day 1 but "gamers" didn't care until some indie dev was accused of sleeping with someone for a favorable review. gamergate then became about sexism in gaming culture instead of "ethics in gaming journalism" or whatever the pro-GG side claimed, and has since blossomed into a particularly shrill and vapid microcosm of anti-oppression activism.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
The current state of games journalism has become a troupe of sad people blowing up their careers to attack faceless nerds. What started as legitimate harassment has become a social media cafeteria fight where nobody runs out of food. The end result has been a bunch of video game sites adding ethics policies and a slew of people rendering themselves unemployable.

Surprisingly, nobody in this fight is good.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I wanted the name Battle Feminist Anita but it's too drat long.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Let's be fair, Anti-GG has more than its share of hilarious own goals.

https://twitter.com/alexlifschitz/status/576869419462238209

He's Jewish and didn't realize what that metaphor makes him sound like.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wait no. "Drew Curtis' AIDSnita FARKeesian." Make it happen.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Thunder Moose posted:

Gamergate started with one of those periodic lashings out by weirdoes at a woman they disliked for some reason. It was marketed (sometimes sincerely, never correctly) as a revolt against unethical games journalism, which drew in a few well-meaning people and led to some false history, but even then the majority of the time and effort was spent on complaining about 'SJWs' and attacking (mostly female) critics of gamergate.

From there it became a gigantic uncontrolled Internet clusterfuck featuring abuse, death threats, SWATing, doxxing and so on. I haven't paid attention for months, my working assumption is that it's dwindled to a group of hardcore obsessives with dozens of alt-accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Call me crazy, but I think the people involved in the silly internet video game drama are all silly over-dramatic video game nerds.

• Locked thread