Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Fried Chicken posted:

Have the cops seriously not started arresting these shits yet? Death threats and attempted murder are pretty clearly against the law

Could you tell us more about this attempted murder? I haven't heard anything about it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The people who talk about this are infinitely more insufferable than the actual members of Gamergate.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Black Baby Goku posted:

The people who talk about this are infinitely more insufferable than the actual members of Gamergate.

I too feel sorry for video game journalists.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Hadaka Apron posted:

Could you tell us more about this attempted murder? I haven't heard anything about it yet.
Gamergate operative Jace Connors attempted to assassinate Brianna Wu in a street racing duel but was foiled by her minions en route.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, Anita and Feminist Frequency have done more to harm feminism and its goals than GG ever did. Normal people give no shits about identity politics and its retarded goals. It makes her look like a clown to the average person.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

XMNN posted:

Gamergate operative Jace Connors attempted to assassinate Brianna Wu in a street racing duel but was foiled by her minions en route.

This was an MDE/Sam Hyde troll. It worked very well.

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012

Brian Leiter posted:

I was corresponding with a philosopher elsewhere about yet another cyber-example of the pathetic identity politics/language police, whom my correspondent described as an SJW, or "social justice warrior." I had not heard the term before, but my correspondent's explanation of it is worth sharing:

Functionally defined, "SJW" designates someone who monitors cyberspace for slights or miscues that reveal bias, and then exploits the various tools of social media to shame the offender, express outrage, and summon the digital mob, whilst achieving for themselves a righteous fame that ties their identities and their actions to the heroes and achievements of the civil rights movement, the landmark moments of which preceded their adulthood. SJWs divide the world, GWB-like, into the evildoers ("shitlords") and the oppressed, with the possible, but problematic remainder, being allies, whose status is ever tenuous and usually collapses into shitlord. SJWs do not distinguish between major and minor offenses -- unintentionally using "transgender-ed" instead of "transgender" is as unforgivable as any other act of oppression -- nor do they distinguish repeat and systematic from first-time offenders. They employ a principle of interpretation that is something like the opposite of charity. (If the utterance gives offense under one interpretation, that interpretation is correct.) It is a harsh "justice".

Indeed, it's unclear whether SJWs do not fully grasp the cruelty and inhumanity of their cybermob shame tactics, the anguish it causes, typically to the socially clueless and ASD spectrum types (itself a form of ableism), or just people with older, less plastic, brains, who are unable to keep pace with the rapidly shifting pronoun and non-slur requirements, or whether this is fully grasped, and indeed the retributive point of the exercise. In any case, the SJW hallmark is cruelty in the name of compassion. (And creating incredibly dangerous environments in the name of "safe space".)

Well, as a Nietzsche scholar, I can hardly tell you anything you don't already see better here. The difference between the Christian slave revolt and this one is that with Christianity at least, there is forgiveness.

The irony, of course, is that the SJW squanders his or her efforts on matters that rarely have anything to do with justice.

Really makes you think.

e: lol

quote:

....I had never even heard of "Gamergate," though have now looked it up)!

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Black Baby Goku posted:

Also, Anita and Feminist Frequency have done more to harm feminism and its goals than GG ever did. Normal people give no shits about identity politics and its retarded goals. It makes her look like a clown to the average person.

John McIntosh needs to get out more.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!
Avatar+nick idea: Anita Sarkastodon, with a pic of the prehistoric carnivore mammal with gypsy earrings.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Video games aren't that important in the scheme of things and also this entire drama was silly as hell but otoh a bunch of actual women were actually driven out of their homes via tactics that would be punishable by prison time if only law enforcement took things that originate on the internet seriously. So idk, I get where people are coming from when they are dismissive of this entire situation because it's stupid as hell, but also, I'm a woman who plays games and occasionally creates a half finished pile of poo poo that could maybe one day be an okay indie game if I had an attention span longer than an average goldfish's, and part of why I don't pursue it more heavily is because a part of me thinks "oh well if I ever finished something and had to market it there's a non-zero chance hateful people would find my personal info and make my life a living hell." So I do other safer things instead, which is fine, but how many potentially cool games aren't being made because of this? who knows.

I think there's an actual serious discussion to be had somewhere in all this if you separate it from "video games" and make it about fixing the law and training law enforcement to understand that "the internet" isn't as separate from "real life" as some people like to think and there has to be some kind of system in place to help victims of online hate mobs. Because that poo poo is loving scary, tbh.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Hadaka Apron posted:

I haven't paid attention for months, but I've heard 'attempted murder' used to describe SWATing, the practice of making a false police report to send a SWAT team into someone's house, which has happened a few times. It's an exaggerated term but the act itself is still extremely dangerous. It's why I don't agree with the people who dismiss this as meaningless drama which nobody should care about. It's a big cry about nothing, but it's doing some actual harm.

At least, I hope that's what he's referring to.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rainbow Unicorn posted:

Video games aren't that important in the scheme of things and also this entire drama was silly as hell but otoh a bunch of actual women were actually driven out of their homes via tactics that would be punishable by prison time if only law enforcement took things that originate on the internet seriously. So idk, I get where people are coming from when they are dismissive of this entire situation because it's stupid as hell, but also, I'm a woman who plays games and occasionally creates a half finished pile of poo poo that could maybe one day be an okay indie game if I had an attention span longer than an average goldfish's, and part of why I don't pursue it more heavily is because a part of me thinks "oh well if I ever finished something and had to market it there's a non-zero chance hateful people would find my personal info and make my life a living hell." So I do other safer things instead, which is fine, but how many potentially cool games aren't being made because of this? who knows.

I think there's an actual serious discussion to be had somewhere in all this if you separate it from "video games" and make it about fixing the law and training law enforcement to understand that "the internet" isn't as separate from "real life" as some people like to think and there has to be some kind of system in place to help victims of online hate mobs. Because that poo poo is loving scary, tbh.

Law enforcement isn't there to protect people, so doing so would require the kind of radical alterations to society the sort of freaks who jabber about "identity politics" are incapable of supporting.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rainbow Unicorn posted:

What is your cool indie game that you can't make due to [unknown reasons] about?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is going to be the best game ever made.

Edit: Wrong forum.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So now it's about the police won't help privileged white women with 4chan trolls?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Peel posted:

I haven't paid attention for months, but I've heard 'attempted murder' used to describe SWATing, the practice of making a false police report to send a SWAT team into someone's house, which has happened a few times. It's an exaggerated term but the act itself is still extremely dangerous. It's why I don't agree with the people who dismiss this as meaningless drama which nobody should care about. It's a big cry about nothing, but it's doing some actual harm.

At least, I hope that's what he's referring to.

In the US calling a SWAT team in on someone is deffo equivalent to attempted murder; cops are loving crazy here when they get their hands on toys and sugar

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

In Training posted:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is going to be the best game ever made.

Edit: Wrong forum.

Hell, this is the first good post in this thread.

Black Baby Goku posted:

So now it's about the police won't help privileged white women with 4chan trolls?

That's identity politics you're using there.

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012

Rainbow Unicorn posted:

Video games aren't that important in the scheme of things and also this entire drama was silly as hell but otoh a bunch of actual women were actually driven out of their homes via tactics that would be punishable by prison time if only law enforcement took things that originate on the internet seriously.
I think it's really a lack of LEO training and personmanpower. Maybe if there was some kind of crime scene investigation for the internet? Cyber investigators?

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Effectronica posted:

Law enforcement isn't there to protect people, so doing so would require the kind of radical alterations to society the sort of freaks who jabber about "identity politics" are incapable of supporting.

I guess that's true but I wish it wasn't. I've read a lot since gamergate started about how even stalking and harassment that doesn't originate online is treated kind of flippantly like "oh well we can't do anything unless you are actually hurt/murdered" and it makes me really angry actually, but I have no idea how you'd fix it or anything either.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Attempted murder is now getting the cops called on you. This forum is sane.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Rainbow Unicorn posted:

Social media outrage culture has expanded in the last few months, you don't have to be just a game dev. You could be a scientist or an astronomer. I heard there were some incidents with those.

Honestly just don't use twitter and you'll probably be OK. If you make your game and someone ribs it, like this fellow has made habit, thats par for the course.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rainbow Unicorn posted:

I guess that's true but I wish it wasn't. I've read a lot since gamergate started about how even stalking and harassment that doesn't originate online is treated kind of flippantly like "oh well we can't do anything unless you are actually hurt/murdered" and it makes me really angry actually, but I have no idea how you'd fix it or anything either.

More police maybe? With a greater range of powers?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

Hell, this is the first good post in this thread.

That's identity politics you're using there.

Oh, you don't say.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Rainbow Unicorn posted:

I understand completely, however with the sheer metric fuckload of trolling and dumb comments being made, it's impossible to separate any real threats from the garbage. There isn't a feasible way to monitor all that, so it'll get ignored.

Besides, the internet is about as separate from real life as you make it. You want to be safe? Don't put anything that could lead back to you on social media.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rainbow Unicorn posted:

Realistically, you could fix this easily by demilitarizing the police and ending the surveillance state that makes stalking etc. acceptable socially. Of course, then you have to hold off the forces that militarized the police and created the expectation that you were being watched at all times, but there's at least a roadmap.

Black Baby Goku posted:

Attempted murder is now getting the cops called on you. This forum is sane.

You're more likely to die from police than from allergies, in these United States.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I don't think stalking is socially acceptable.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

XMNN posted:

Tell that to Gawker. Or Enquirer.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

XMNN posted:

It is as long as you're solely interested in harassing people. Once it shades over into something that's blatantly criminal, it's something that the police will care about, maybe, but if you just restrict yourself to harassing people over the phone and the internet and the mail, nobody really cares about stopping you, and the youngest people care least of all.

EDIT: This is because we live in a world where you are being stalked constantly, and everyone knows that. In order to end it, you need to rework the social order.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Black Baby Goku posted:

"Privileged white women" is code that only misogynists use to dismiss all feminism. Unless a woman says it, in which case it is completely different. This is not sarcasm, though you might find it frustrating.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

XMNN posted:

Wrong forum buddy. Stalking is absolutely socially acceptable when looking at it through the mentally ill lenses of D&D

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SedanChair posted:

"Privileged white women" is code that only misogynists use to dismiss all feminism.

Oh my bad. They aren't privileged. Or white. The people being harassed that is.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Archer666 posted:

I understand completely, however with the sheer metric fuckload of trolling and dumb comments being made, it's impossible to separate any real threats from the garbage. There isn't a feasible way to monitor all that, so it'll get ignored.

Besides, the internet is about as separate from real life as you make it. You want to be safe? Don't put anything that could lead back to you on social media.

Also, trying to get rid of something on the internet is a fool's errand. You'll just create more attention. This didn't work when Scientology took down that internal video on YouTube and ended up inspiring Anonymous, it didn't work when Glenn Beck tried to take down that "Glenn Beck Raped and Murdered a Young Girl in 1990" site, it didn't work when Barbra Streisand tried to take down a photo of her house, and it didn't work when Bill Cosby tried to get a flash cartoon about him called "House of Cosbys" taken down.

Even if something is legitimately malicious like the Zoepost, the best solution is just to ignore the trolls as best as one can. As George Bernard Shaw put it, "You never wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Archer666 posted:

This is true but also a little misleading and dismissive because in some industries it is increasingly a requirement to put yourself way, way out there on social media, enough so that if an online community decided to suddenly make you a target of harassment you'd be totally screwed with very little recourse. Obviously at the end of the day people who put themselves on social media are choosing to do so, but sometimes it is a very real decision between "welp, do I find a different job/career or do I risk the possibility that somewhere someday a bunch of ill adjusted sociopaths will post my address and phone number to an online message board and harass me for a year+ straight"

It's kinda hosed up.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

SedanChair posted:

"Privileged white women" is code that only misogynists use to dismiss all feminism. Unless a woman says it, in which case it is completely different. This is not sarcasm, though you might find it frustrating.

Ehhh idk man I like feminism but it does seem to have become a hobby for the privileged. I get the impression Anita is probably more recognizable than Sandra Fluke. That's a little sad.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Of course, the spear-carriers, the sort of people who call all dissenters insane, eventually get hosed by the system too. They get pulled into bureaucratic nightmares, get harassed by a cop, etc. But it's doubtful if they ever will recognize that there's any kind of problem beyond the existence of disagreement. So totalitarianism is a perpetual threat that any society must guard from.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Effectronica posted:

It is as long as you're solely interested in harassing people. Once it shades over into something that's blatantly criminal, it's something that the police will care about, maybe, but if you just restrict yourself to harassing people over the phone and the internet and the mail, nobody really cares about stopping you, and the youngest people care least of all.

EDIT: This is because we live in a world where you are being stalked constantly, and everyone knows that. In order to end it, you need to rework the social order.
Oh, I was using socially acceptable in the "you can tell normal people you're doing it and they won't think you're a creep" sense.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Archer666 posted:

I wonder if one background factor in this is a collision of cultures between people used to pseudonymous communities held separate from real life (and where anything goes), and newer Internet users who treat social media as you're encouraged to, as an adjunct to your real identity.

I wonder if things like this and employer scrutiny of social media could lead to a retreat from the idea of the Internet as an extension of real personal life, except in closely controlled ways. If you have to have a Facebook account for your job keep it carefully sanitised and do your internet socialising under a pseudonym or in private channels.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Why are hellthread topics getting thrown into D&D where it'll run for 200 pages then get gassed?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

SedanChair posted:

What if a white guy pretending to be a black guy says it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Black Baby Goku continuing to show why his perma should have never been reversed

• Locked thread