Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Are you seriously reducing yourself to attacking my avatar?

And your handle!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Here is what I found. Show me where she says it should never be done.

Don't try to play interpretive tweet grab-rear end with me. You seem to be arguing with me as if I'm attacking Sarkeesian when I'm actually stating areas in which she and I diverge, which I find exceptionally annoying. It's like you're deliberately misreading my posts to find something you can argue about, and if it's all the same to you, I'd like it if you stopped.

I'm not even accusing her of loving "censorship," because I know what the word means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How so? Critics point out issues with narratives and themes all the time. It doesn't mean they are demanding the wholesale extinction on their usage.

If you want to say someone is calling for banning something you need to show it. Criticism is not censorship.

People don't tend to call specific instances of a thing as 'embarrassing' without some implication that they want the thing to stop being done.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Wanderer posted:

Might've been. I should probably take the time to refresh my memory on her videos if I'm going to be talking about them. I just remember her making the case that the "damseling" thing happens super often and how that was weird.

Yeah, that bothered me too. Overall her videos were underwhelming cause they were either pretty obvious 101 type stuff or really simplistic, as you said. That made sense cause she was aiming at newcomers, not people that had encountered feminist critiques. It would be interesting to see if she could make some serious critiques of a one or two games, though.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Germstore posted:

That's an awfully razor thin distinction.

If you're looking for justification to paint Sarkeesian as an Enemy of Art, I suppose it would be.

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

Wanderer posted:

Really, my takeaway point from most of Sarkeesian's videos has always been an issue that I knew existed before she made the scene: writing in games, plot and dialogue and characterization
This is really accurate, as this is specifically what she focuses on: Not the games themselves... But the flaws in their writing and narrative.
If people who hate her would separate it this way when watching her, they would easily aknowledge how bad game writing is, since those analysis don't touch the gameplay itself. If they do it's just barely, or to point something about the writing.

For example, if someone redid the entire writing and characterization of Bayonetta, but left the gameplay intact I would (and I'm probably not the only one) still love the game, because it's fun to play, and the only thing misogynistic characters are doing there is substracting merit from an otherwise amazing work of interactive media.

wiregrind fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 11, 2015

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

If you're looking for justification to paint Sarkeesian as an Enemy of Art, I suppose it would be.

Or perhaps just as a haver-of-bad-opinions.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Wanderer posted:

Don't try to play interpretive tweet grab-rear end with me. You seem to be arguing with me as if I'm attacking Sarkeesian when I'm actually stating areas in which she and I diverge, which I find exceptionally annoying. It's like you're deliberately misreading my posts to find something you can argue about, and if it's all the same to you, I'd like it if you stopped.

I'm not accusing you of attacking Sarkeesian. I am telling you that your impression of her perspective is inaccurate and that your diverting opinions are not as distant as you think they are.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Germstore posted:

Or perhaps just as a haver-of-bad-opinions.

To borrow a catchphrase from today's youth, where is the lie in those tweets?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Germstore posted:

People don't tend to call specific instances of a thing as 'embarrassing' without some implication that they want the thing to stop being done.

Or maybe just used less? Or more reasonably? Or with better justification?

To immediate assume she is calling for the wholesale banning of a narrative based on calling the repeated use of it "embarrassing" is a stretch. If she wanted to say it should be banned she would have said "this should be banned."

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

To borrow a catchphrase from today's youth, where is the lie in those tweets?

The operative word is 'opinions'. You will notice I have not said her tweets should be banned, just that she should be embarrassed by them

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Germstore posted:

The operative word is 'opinions'. You will notice I have not said her tweets should be banned, just that she should be embarrassed by them

Right. And I'm asking you why. Why should she be embarrassed by them? What is so wrong about them, divorced from your belief that she's actively calling for the banning of the trope?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

wiregrind posted:

This is really accurate, as this is specifically what she focuses on, not the games themselves... But the flaws in their writing and narrative.
If people who hate her would separate it this way when watching her, they would easily aknowledge how bad game writing is, since those analysis don't touch the gameplay itself. If they do it's just barely, or to point something about the writing.

Games writing's weird because it's wholly unlike any other kind of script. If you ever get the chance to see a game script, check it out; it's usually a really big Excel spreadsheet full of "if X, then Y," sometimes in multiple languages. As such, I cut it a lot of slack because we're still very much in a learning pattern, and it has gotten dramatically better in the last few years as more people show up who have experience with it or studios hire writers from other media to come in and do the job.

The biggest problem is the bizarre games-writing feedback loop: people think games writing is bound to suck, so developers don't put a lot of thought into it, so they don't hire people who are good at it, so the games writing sucks, which convinces people that games writing is bound to suck...

wiregrind posted:

For example, if someone redid the entire writing and characterization of Bayonetta, but left the gameplay intact I would (and I'm probably not the only one) still love the game, because it's fun to play, and the misogynistic characters only substract from an otherwise amazing work of interactive media.

I wouldn't call Bayonetta misogynistic so much as having weaponized her own sexualization.

Misogyny's a frequently misused term, to my mind. I've not played many games where I thought to myself, holy poo poo, somebody at this studio has a serious problem with women. I've certainly played a lot of games where the studio in question was clearly staffed by a bunch of dudes who were all firmly in touch with their inner 13-year-olds, though.

Plom Bar posted:

I really hope you're not talking about me.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Like, it's actually a huge leap between "I don't like this thing, here's why" and "no one should ever make this thing because I say so".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Wanderer posted:

Misogyny's a frequently misused term, to my mind. I've not played many games where I thought to myself, holy poo poo, somebody at this studio has a serious problem with women.

Misogyny doesn't necessarily have to imply the explicit conscious hatred of women though. Same way that saying behavior is racist doesn't mean the person who does it is automatically a Klan member.

People will good intentions can still produce misogynistic media.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

Right. And I'm asking you why. Why should she be embarrassed by them? What is so wrong about them, divorced from your belief that she's actively calling for the banning of the trope?

I haven't said at any point that she is trying to ban anything so I guess congrats on winning an argument that I wasn't participating in.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Germstore posted:

I haven't said at any point that she is trying to ban anything so I guess congrats on winning an argument that I wasn't participating in.

Germstore posted:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

You can want something to stop happening without wanting to impose a ban on it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Wow. How is wanting people to stop doing a thing the same as calling for its ban?

I can also draw razor thing distinctions.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Buy a cheap GameCube or Wii and get the Legend port. It adds more content and fixes a couple of things, like the stupidly high encounter rate.

Isn't it like 100 bux?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Misogyny doesn't necessarily have to imply the explicit conscious hatred of women though. Same way that saying behavior is racist doesn't mean the person who does it is automatically a Klan member.

People will good intentions can still produce misogynistic media.

I'm aware of that. I'm saying that I don't consider objectification or sexualization to be inherently misogynistic. They're problems in their own ways.

Watch_Dogs, for example, is a game I'd feel reasonably comfortable about calling misogynistic. The human trafficking plot goes nowhere and is apparently there specifically so you can have an entire room full of expressionless, topless women. Clara screws up everything she does after you find out she's a woman, Nikki spends half the game kidnapped, and Poppy might as well not be in the game at all.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Isn't it like 100 bux?

Huh. So it is.

You know, I'd forgotten how rare that disc is. I'd still say that it's worth the $55-65 on eBay if you really wanted to play it, but yeah, that's more money than I thought it'd be.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wanderer posted:

I'm aware of that. I'm saying that I don't consider objectification or sexualization to be inherently misogynistic. They're problems in their own ways.

Watch_Dogs, for example, is a game I'd feel reasonably comfortable about calling misogynistic. The human trafficking plot goes nowhere and is apparently there specifically so you can have an entire room full of expressionless, topless women. Clara screws up everything she does after you find out she's a woman, Nikki spends half the game kidnapped, and Poppy might as well not be in the game at all.

Yeah. I agree with this.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Wanderer posted:

Fair enough, I can see how sexualization might not be, but I think its hard to claim objectification in particular is not misogynistic. Objectification is the removal of a woman's personal agency and reducing her to an object meant for the pleasure of men. If that is not misogynistic, very few things are.

Germstore posted:

Wow. How is wanting people to stop doing a thing the same as calling for its ban?

So this was all a set-up to be deliberately petulant then? Fair enough.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Germstore posted:

Fine. Ignore that last clause, then. What about the opinions expressed in those tweets is so wrong?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Fair enough, I can see how sexualization might not be, but I think its hard to claim objectification in particular is not misogynistic. Objectification is the removal of a woman's personal agency and reducing her to an object meant for the pleasure of men. If that is not misogynistic, very few things are.

So this was all a set-up to be deliberately petulant then? Fair enough.

I accepted your distinction, but when my argument requires the exact same distinction you don't accept it?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

Fine. Ignore that last clause, then. What about the opinions expressed in those tweets is so wrong?

That having a man rescue a woman is not intrinsically embarrassing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm actually gonna backtrack a bit on that one because I just realized I was treating objectification and sexualization as if they were basically the same thing.

Characters as sex furniture is usually at least creepy, yeah. At best, it's juvenile; nobody told you to set this scene in one of those clubs where the decor involves people dancing in cages.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Germstore posted:

I accepted your distinction, but when my argument requires the exact same distinction you don't accept it?

"This should be stopped" and "This should be banned" are synonymous. "This is embarrassing" and "this should never be done" are not. You are either deliberately trying to muddy the distinction between "embarassing" and "should be stopped" or genuinely do not see the gap between their intentions.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

how about this: video games are juvenile poo poo for manchildren and are very often sexist and misogynistic

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"This should be stopped" and "This should be banned" are synonymous. "This is embarrassing" and "this should never be done" are not. You are either deliberately trying to muddy the distinction between "embarassing" and "should be stopped" or genuinely do not see the gap between their intentions.

"You should stop doing this" and "you should be stopped from doing this" are different things.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

wiregrind posted:

This is really accurate, as this is specifically what she focuses on: Not the games themselves... But the flaws in their writing and narrative.

For example, if someone redid the entire writing and characterization of Bayonetta, but left the gameplay intact I would (and I'm probably not the only one) still love the game, because it's fun to play, and the only thing misogynistic characters are doing there is substracting merit from an otherwise amazing work of interactive media.

Would you remove the camp from drag queens?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Germstore posted:

"You should stop doing this" and "you should be stopped from doing this" are different things.

Fair enough.

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

Wanderer posted:

I wouldn't call Bayonetta misogynistic so much as having weaponized her own sexualization.

Misogyny's a frequently misused term, to my mind. I've not played many games where I thought to myself, holy poo poo, somebody at this studio has a serious problem with women. I've certainly played a lot of games where the studio in question was clearly staffed by a bunch of dudes who were all firmly in touch with their inner 13-year-olds, though.
I personally don't think I'm qualified to decide what's misogynistic or not. I aknowledge the problem with that studio and women, and some of them are fans of pinups and what not, but I also aknowledge that they make amazing gameplay with a quality that is rarely matched by other studios.
Judge each aspect of the media with it's own measurement. Bad gameplay with good writing can have it's merits as a game too.

I think it's important to think about demeaning writing in games, discuss the problem and change it. And it's also really important to think whether the gameplay in said game is really good or not. After all, the objective is to have better games, right?

icantfindaname posted:

how about this: video games are juvenile poo poo for manchildren and are very often sexist and misogynistic

wiregrind fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 11, 2015

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Uncle Wemus posted:

Would you remove the camp from drag queens?

....yes, actually.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

....yes, actually.

Speaking of an enemy of art.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Wanderer posted:

I take considerable amount of issue with this viewpoint as well, actually. Created things do not have agency outside of their creator's whims. A writer/character designer can create a character that has agency within the universe they inhabit, but at the end of the day the character serves the needs and desires of the creator above all else. "I created this sexy librarian whose superpowers are to turn her hair, that is also her clothes, into hellbeasts to defeat her enemies, so that she literally has to remove her clothing to win fights " is...really reminiscent of the last panel of Kate Beaton's Strong Female Characters comic. She weaponized her sexualization because her creator had such in mind when creating her.

And I will postface this by saying that I absolutely adore both games.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Plom Bar posted:

....yes, actually.

No more 'La Cage Aux Follies'? gently caress that noise.

wiregrind posted:

I think it's important to think about demeaning writing in games, discuss the problem and change it. And it's also really important to think whether the gameplay in said game is really good or not. After all, the objective is to have better games, right?

Demeaning writing is bad writing and games need to start caring more about that. If the writing in games starts being better, everything will improve, including diversity.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dapper Dan posted:

Demeaning writing is bad writing and games need to start caring more about that. If the writing in games starts being better, everything will improve, including diversity.

On a completely unrelated note the writer for Watch_Dogs is very pro gamergate

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013
Would I be wrong in assuming that GGers basically want all game reviewers to be Dave Halverson as far as the eye can see? Or am I reading them wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

That always seemed like such an odd complaint but I'm not sure why.

Bayonetta isn't exactly Hamlet, but it doesn't seem right to trash her on assumptions about the creator even if she is goofy and unrealistic. She's pretty good compared to most Japanese female characters; never submissive or incompetent, always in complete control of herself, doesn't swoon over men.

• Locked thread