Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So what did D&D do to get stuck with a Gamergate thread again? I promise I'll try my best to stop doing whatever it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Kickstarter offers a nice way around various barriers to funding a project, but can also demonstrate why those barriers exist to begin with.

That said, Gamergate is like some kind of hosed up World of Warcraft guild drama that won't die and I hate everyone who has any sympathy with it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Frankly it's a bit weird that the GG set feel the need to deploy an intimate knowledge of the sex lives of strangers to make some sort of point. Most movements for ethics in journalism aren't too concerned about that stuff.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

That seems like a really ignorant view of media. It's pretty common to have false stuff spread like wildfire or people with the power/money/connections to change the narrative in their favor. In this case it isn't really that the coverage is false it's just that focused specifically on the negative aspects of gg and ignored the negative aspects of the other side. Very few articles were forthright about the scandal involving zoe in the first place and many dismissed complaints against her as a jilted ex lover thing while completely sweeping the whole abusive aspect under the rug.

I wouldn't really say I'm part of the gg side as I stopped following this issue after it seemed like it was going in circles, I just happened to witness the start of gg and am always floored at how well one side has managed to rewrite history of how it all went down.

What sort of person with money/power/connections is going to go to bat for some minor indie game developer with a twitter account?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

hakimashou posted:

Since the OP doesn't explain what gamergate is about, I do not know what it is all about and can't comment.

I do however have a personal experience to share. I was playing an online game and arguing with people about Edward Snowden in the chat, and somone told me that the real traitors were "Anita sarkeesian," and a man whose name I don't remember. That they were as bad as Julius and Ethel Rosenberg. I vaguely remembered having heard that name before, and asked who she was. I was told to just go and watch her videos, so I assumed she was somone on YouTube. I pressed for an explanation as to why she was a traitor to her country, and eventually learned that if she got her way, she would take away video games. And that this was a wrongdoing on par with giving secrets to the USSR.

Anyhow, while I find it hard to believe that gamer gate is something that matters, I thoight I would share my own personal experience with it.

Sounds about right for Gamergate.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Please don't put words in my mouth. I said criticism, not harassment or death threats. No one "deserves" to be harassed, but that's not some unique thing these women have experienced. And it was never the majority of Gamergate (insert the 1% or less of Gamergate tweets being identifiable as harassment pic).

Can we get off Zoe now? I was throwing some stuff out there to see what stuck, and my mis-remembering of how Zoe exploited Robin Williams' suicide was a bit off, but it was by no means the important or only point I made. It was just happenstance that it was the first one in my post.

I'm still looking for people to defend the psycho dog-killer Wu who forcefully inserted herself into this circus. And I need more mealy-mouthed appeals to what Anita's doing. She hasn't totally jumped the shark into irrelevance in the "Witcher 3 so racist" debacle that all of these progressives rallied behind (she was one of the people tweeting about it, iirc) and, even more tellingly, the "Doom 4 so violent and that's so baaaaaad" nonsense. No way. We should really appreciate what she has to say.

So since you just decided that you're done "throwing some stuff out there to see what stuck" about Zoe Quinn, you'll just dust off your hands and start flinging out random bullshit about someone else. Classy.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Dominic White posted:

So, yeah. People can like things AND criticise them at the same time. It's a strange concept for some.

Well for the GamerGate crowd criticism seems to go hand in glove with spreading rumors and conducting protracted campaigns of harassment.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

I thought she had left the dog outside during winter and it died and she blamed gg for it. THEN the mock twitter appeared.

If GamerGate was actually about any of the things it said it was, that wouldn't even matter. But if it's about heaping enough shame on a handful of people to provide a kind of moral cover to act like a poo poo on the internet - well then the details are very important.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

So now we've got Zoe Quinn's sex life, and the precise chronology of the death of Brianna Wu's dog and twitter posts relating thereto.

Is there any other cause that needs to bring up poo poo like this to prove their points?

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

so who knows if he was telling the truth.

Sounds good enough! Start spreading the word!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Watch this video if you haven't already. And understand that it is sensationalist nonsense and possibly one of the most downvoted videos in Youtube history.

Be still my beating heart, the most downvoted video in Youtube history?!?!? :lol:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Nice casual dismissal, bub.

I'm not sure what else I should be saying to what was literally an appeal to youtube downvotes.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

I am in this for the giggles.

Noticing a bit of a trend here.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Steven Crowder's list of accomplishments include getting punched in the face by a union supporter at a rally and uh...um...

…dressing up as a lady and trying to go to the gym?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

This is not a thing I've ever wondered or been curious about. I mean this is a "group" that latched onto Jack Thompson as an ally, so that says everything I need to know about their intellectual rigor.

Wait, they did? The guy they all used to post screeds about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

wiregrind posted:

I would unironically be interested in reading/watching feminist analysis of videogames that wasn't entirely based on the negative, that contrasted positive with negative examples in the medium, that aknowledged good and bad gameplay design, and took into account the unpredictability of player action.

It's funny, I can think of female characters in games that are not bad examples, but I hesitate to name anything that I can really identify as good.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Like the one chick who works on the boat who is visibly worried about you because you're clearly out of your mind.

Actually now that I think about it Daisy is probably the best female character in that game. Everyone else is waiting for nutty Jason to do his thing, she's fixing a boat to get the hell out of there.

• Locked thread