Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Someone change my name here to AIDSnita Suckjewsian because mods refuses to do so on other forums. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wait no. "Drew Curtis' AIDSnita FARKeesian." Make it happen.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Avatar+nick idea: Anita Sarkastodon, with a pic of the prehistoric carnivore mammal with gypsy earrings.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Effectronica posted:

I'm not going to tell you, because you believe in the Muslim Pope and the Atheist Pope and it's freaking me out.

The leader of the Muslims is called the Caliph ever since the 7th century, and the current one is Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, PBUH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dominic White posted:

I find the whole concept of 'AGG' as an organized front with leaders to be surreal at best, laughable the rest of the time. I've been opposed to Gamergate's antics since Day 0, back when it was just Creepy McCreeperson trying to use SA to raise a mob to stalk his ex for him. I opposed this because it was creepy, first and foremost, but secondly because the allegations didn't match up at all with what I knew of Zoe Quinn from coworkers that knew her personally.

When it escalated, and all the creeps that had been going after Quinn were now claiming to be doing it in the name of Ethical Journalism, I stood against it. Because it was an obvious rebranding of one losers crusade against his ex.

When they expanded to targeting more people (none of whom were journalists, and all of whom were women - big surprise) and trying to dismiss any criticism as an attack on minorities, I stood against it. I noticed other people did too. It didn't make me part of a group. I flew no banner, I made no image memes, I sure as gently caress didn't adopt a 4chan Green & Purple color scheme and start worshipping a fictional, perfect girl who just wants people to stop talking about things and play vidya.

Every step of the way, Gamergate has gotten more organized. It has sites, it has infographics, it has leaders that refuse to call themselves leaders, but anyone they point at immediately finds themselves drowning in thousands of morons.

And here I am. Just a guy - a nobody who wrote for a couple of little indie sites, but still got weird creepy pseudo-legal threats and no shortage of abuse - who wants to be left the gently caress alone, and for the people I care about to be left alone, too. I only stand opposed to Gamergate because I stand opposed to harassment, threats, creepery and MRA smear campaigns. It just happens that all of the above is happening under a singular banner.

There is a Gamergate. Every step of the way they're reinforced that brand and given it an identity. This mysterious 'anti-gamergate' force just happens to be everyone else, by default.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread