Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The people who talk about this are infinitely more insufferable than the actual members of Gamergate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, Anita and Feminist Frequency have done more to harm feminism and its goals than GG ever did. Normal people give no shits about identity politics and its retarded goals. It makes her look like a clown to the average person.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

XMNN posted:

Gamergate operative Jace Connors attempted to assassinate Brianna Wu in a street racing duel but was foiled by her minions en route.

This was an MDE/Sam Hyde troll. It worked very well.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rainbow Unicorn posted:

Video games aren't that important in the scheme of things and also this entire drama was silly as hell but otoh a bunch of actual women were actually driven out of their homes via tactics that would be punishable by prison time if only law enforcement took things that originate on the internet seriously. So idk, I get where people are coming from when they are dismissive of this entire situation because it's stupid as hell, but also, I'm a woman who plays games and occasionally creates a half finished pile of poo poo that could maybe one day be an okay indie game if I had an attention span longer than an average goldfish's, and part of why I don't pursue it more heavily is because a part of me thinks "oh well if I ever finished something and had to market it there's a non-zero chance hateful people would find my personal info and make my life a living hell." So I do other safer things instead, which is fine, but how many potentially cool games aren't being made because of this? who knows.

I think there's an actual serious discussion to be had somewhere in all this if you separate it from "video games" and make it about fixing the law and training law enforcement to understand that "the internet" isn't as separate from "real life" as some people like to think and there has to be some kind of system in place to help victims of online hate mobs. Because that poo poo is loving scary, tbh.

What is your cool indie game that you can't make due to [unknown reasons] about?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So now it's about the police won't help privileged white women with 4chan trolls?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Attempted murder is now getting the cops called on you. This forum is sane.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rainbow Unicorn posted:

I guess that's true but I wish it wasn't. I've read a lot since gamergate started about how even stalking and harassment that doesn't originate online is treated kind of flippantly like "oh well we can't do anything unless you are actually hurt/murdered" and it makes me really angry actually, but I have no idea how you'd fix it or anything either.

More police maybe? With a greater range of powers?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

Hell, this is the first good post in this thread.

That's identity politics you're using there.

Oh, you don't say.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

XMNN posted:

I don't think stalking is socially acceptable.

Wrong forum buddy. Stalking is absolutely socially acceptable when looking at it through the mentally ill lenses of D&D

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SedanChair posted:

"Privileged white women" is code that only misogynists use to dismiss all feminism.

Oh my bad. They aren't privileged. Or white. The people being harassed that is.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Ehhh idk man I like feminism but it does seem to have become a hobby for the privileged. I get the impression Anita is probably more recognizable than Sandra Fluke. That's a little sad.

Modern identity politics based feminism is inherently a privileged hobby

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Right is Right then I guess, ever consider that?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

InvincibleMadHouse posted:

the "rift on the left" is kind of an illusion. Young people pretty uniformly can't associate with movement conservatism because they lived through the Bush years. Won't stop them from being right leaning, but it subverts it into something different. In time the memory will fade and they'll pull the lever R despite either side's way with words. If they're so caught up in some "gamer identity" then they're gonna be garbage voters no matter what, and trying to salvage the glimmer of hope in their soul is ultimately fruitless. If mean ladies on the internet piss you off enough to disengage you from broader politics or vote for obviously evil fuckers you are in 90% disagreement with, then you weren't going to be anything but an embarrassment to whatever side you fell on anyway.

If Breibart is recruiting out of this, then good luck to them, I wish him well. We'll never be rid of conservatives and the narrative of "young = liberal" is poisonous thinking. He isn't swaying future liberals, he's at worst catching them before some other divisive issue could. If they retain some of their pre-indoctrination ideas on economics, race, or religion, then good, they might even swing the Republicans into a better place but I wouldn't count on it, but like I said earlier, you can't engage them with feminism, and you shouldn't want to fight for future embarrassments. The power of the left going on out isn't contingent on young white men becoming a liberal demographic, and that's a fantastic thing. Women and minorities shouldn't be forced to haggle inside their own ideological spectrum with unenlightened people who had to read 800 new posts on something awful per day just to be convinced to sit down with them.

Your line of thinking is why republicans control the house and senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The era of The Victim is the saddest moment in leftist politics.

• Locked thread