Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dominic White posted:

So, we've gotten to the point where a woman who made a freeware text-adventure about dealing with depression is SO powerful now due to her womanly wiles that she has slept her way into billonaire political power and is able to pull the strings of the US government, after she found that her ability to get a SINGLE LINE written in a blog post wasn't enough?

This is why we have Occam's Razor, people. Perhaps it's just SLIGHTLY more likely that thousands of obsessive nerds laser-like focus on her pushed her into the spotlight (hence the interviews with major news agencies that contacted her), and got her noticed by people who read the news? Because that seems a bit more plausible than arms-dealer hoteliers or whatever inane conspiracy theorist bullshit is being pushed.

Hey, no. If you trash that narrative, it means that we can't dream big. Here's a woman that was a nobody. All she had to do was:

1) Manipulate her boyfriend into posting an incoherent rant about how terrible she was to SA, 4chan and reddit;
2) Use that publicity to manipulate innocent but desperate gamers into attacking her, as well as staging multiple false flags;
3) Leverage that into a "victim" campaign to appear in the media writ large;
4) Which gains her the attention of several rich suitors that she then;
5) Manipulates into an intimate relationship with her because she, through her now vast internet mob, has loads of blackmail on him.

This eventually culminates into her arming her internet mob, storming the US Capitol, declaring martial law, circumcising all men and forcing them to play Depression Quest over and over. This is nicely in line with the fact that women hold literally all the power in the world, as demonstrated by the spaghetti story above. It's beautiful and one helluva success story. It's inspiring for any suave master-manipulator looking to go big. It's the American Dream.

I mean sure, your story makes more sense and is more in line with reality, but do you really want to get in the way of a good rumor here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Probably a bad idea to do so. But I recommend watching it if you want to really understand what kind of person passes for an intellectual with GG.

This is not a thing I've ever wondered or been curious about. I mean this is a "group" that latched onto Jack Thompson as an ally, so that says everything I need to know about their intellectual rigor.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

Wait, they did? The guy they all used to post screeds about?

Yeah. It was probably a passing thing, but I remember a while back asking about this someone said that if even Thompson agreed with them about Sarkeesian/Quinn/whoeverthefuck they must be onto something True and Big. Other folks in this thread probably have a better idea on the timeline of GG using him/him using them, that was the last time I tried to get a handle on this.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Wanderer posted:

It was easier to find the tweet than I thought it'd be, and she said that using the trope at all is "embarrassing," then goes off on all the reasons why it should never be used at all.

She makes a decent case in that it's somewhat worse if "damseling" happens to a capable character, since it's actively disempowering, but again, I'd rather encourage clever or subversive uses of tropes (the "damsel" rescues you, you get there and she broke out already, you get there and she was never there at all...) than forbid their use entirely.

Weren't those suggestions in her Tropes vs Women video? Or one of them? Did she get all galvanized and polarized since then?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Wanderer posted:

Might've been. I should probably take the time to refresh my memory on her videos if I'm going to be talking about them. I just remember her making the case that the "damseling" thing happens super often and how that was weird.

Yeah, that bothered me too. Overall her videos were underwhelming cause they were either pretty obvious 101 type stuff or really simplistic, as you said. That made sense cause she was aiming at newcomers, not people that had encountered feminist critiques. It would be interesting to see if she could make some serious critiques of a one or two games, though.

• Locked thread