Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Video games aren't that important in the scheme of things and also this entire drama was silly as hell but otoh a bunch of actual women were actually driven out of their homes via tactics that would be punishable by prison time if only law enforcement took things that originate on the internet seriously. So idk, I get where people are coming from when they are dismissive of this entire situation because it's stupid as hell, but also, I'm a woman who plays games and occasionally creates a half finished pile of poo poo that could maybe one day be an okay indie game if I had an attention span longer than an average goldfish's, and part of why I don't pursue it more heavily is because a part of me thinks "oh well if I ever finished something and had to market it there's a non-zero chance hateful people would find my personal info and make my life a living hell." So I do other safer things instead, which is fine, but how many potentially cool games aren't being made because of this? who knows.

I think there's an actual serious discussion to be had somewhere in all this if you separate it from "video games" and make it about fixing the law and training law enforcement to understand that "the internet" isn't as separate from "real life" as some people like to think and there has to be some kind of system in place to help victims of online hate mobs. Because that poo poo is loving scary, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Effectronica posted:

Law enforcement isn't there to protect people, so doing so would require the kind of radical alterations to society the sort of freaks who jabber about "identity politics" are incapable of supporting.

I guess that's true but I wish it wasn't. I've read a lot since gamergate started about how even stalking and harassment that doesn't originate online is treated kind of flippantly like "oh well we can't do anything unless you are actually hurt/murdered" and it makes me really angry actually, but I have no idea how you'd fix it or anything either.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Archer666 posted:

I understand completely, however with the sheer metric fuckload of trolling and dumb comments being made, it's impossible to separate any real threats from the garbage. There isn't a feasible way to monitor all that, so it'll get ignored.

Besides, the internet is about as separate from real life as you make it. You want to be safe? Don't put anything that could lead back to you on social media.

This is true but also a little misleading and dismissive because in some industries it is increasingly a requirement to put yourself way, way out there on social media, enough so that if an online community decided to suddenly make you a target of harassment you'd be totally screwed with very little recourse. Obviously at the end of the day people who put themselves on social media are choosing to do so, but sometimes it is a very real decision between "welp, do I find a different job/career or do I risk the possibility that somewhere someday a bunch of ill adjusted sociopaths will post my address and phone number to an online message board and harass me for a year+ straight"

It's kinda hosed up.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

I've been in Computer Science and the surrounding culture for almost 15 years and I have yet to find an effective counter to troll culture. They evolve just as fast as the medium. Short of removing anonymity entirely, or drastically increasing the powers of net surveillance, it's basically whackamole.

Similar experience here and I 100% agree. This is why I have no real solutions to offer, just a lot of frustrated observation.

• Locked thread