Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

It's the time of the year where you watch people play games fast while talking in ridiculous accents!

European Speedster Assembly is an annual charity speedrunning marathon brought to you from Skövde, Sweden, featuring runners from Speed Demos Archive (SDA), Speedrun.com, SpeedRunsLive and TASVideos. All money donated during the event goes to Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières.

The stream will be running between June 28th and July 5th, and in that time you'll get to see a lot of cool runs, races and other cool content. On two streams - Purple stream that is 24/7 packed with content, and yellow stream that has a variety of things and some open blocks.

Links of importance

The schedule can be found at this link. Times are in your time zone and should hopefully be updating as the event progresses.

Watch it at the main site. There's also the twitch pages for the Purple stream and Yellow stream in an emergency.

If you want to watch in your media player of choice, you can use Livestreamer. How to use it:

BloodWulfe posted:

Windows users can grab a precompiled version right here. Here's a quickstart guide. Basically the only thing you need to setup is your video player location. The config file has a bunch of default locations that you can just uncomment. It should look something like this:

# VLC
player=“C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe”

Notice that the pound sign in front of player is removed. Replace VLC with whatever you prefer, but make sure MPC is up-to-date if you use that. Open a command prompt, enter livestreamer.exe twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda best, and that's it. You can replace best with low/medium/high if needed.

Mac users can run sudo easy_install livestreamer from a terminal window, and then use the same command as Windows (sans .exe) to launch it. It defaults to using VLC, but you can use --player to specify something else.

Linux users can grab it via pip.

There'll be the possibility to watch runs later, but in previous ESAs it's mostly been timestamped VODs. I think we might be trying to make actual videos this time though?

You can chat on Twitch, but there's also an IRC channel:
Server: irc.quakenet.org
Channel: #esamarathon
Direct link
Quakenet Webchat (Mibbit will not work)

There's also a SA speedrun channel that you can use for slightly slower conversation:
Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #speedruns
Direct link
Mibbit Webchat

=============

ESA: What it is

All money collected during European Speedster Assembly goes directly to Doctors Without Borders, with nothing going to anyone participating in the event. It's 100% charity. All attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses.

ESA started in 2012 and has happened every year since. In 2014, ESA was the first major speedrunning marathon to have two streams running concurrently.

As the event grows each year, more work is put into improving the quality of the stream. There's always going to be some hiccups, though, because everyone working with the event is only human.

=============

Donations and YOU

Each stream has its own donation button, which you can click and then specify an amount of money to donate. You can put a comment with your donation, and as ESA doesn't get the amount of donations *GDQ does, you can be reasonably certain your comment will be read out on stream. But there's some guidelines. These were written for *GDQ, but they should generally apply here too (we use the same tracker and donation system, anyway):

quote:

-The program should auto-filter donations that are less than a dollar, but in case if one slips through, filter it out.

-Some people do not want their names read out loud when they donate. There will be an anonymous flag you can check so that the donation reader doesn't read their name by accident (like we have done often in the past).

-Donations insulting someone should be filtered out.

-If a donation is solely twitch faces, hashtags, or just generally spam, then filter it out.

-On that note, if someone donates a small amount of money just to write a mountain of text, then filter it out. We'll be busy enough reading short donation comments. The only exception we should make for mountains of text is...

-Personal stories relating to our cause should be read.

-If a donation comment is creative and funny then it should be read. Just FYI, while some people might find twich faces funny, they're certainly not creative.

There'll be a donation tracker somewhere. I can't find it right now.

=============

Prizes! Incentives!

One of the more popular things to drive donations are the donation incentives and the raffle prizes.

When you donate, you can have your donation go towards one of the many donation incentives that are available for different games. This involves naming characters, selecting different modes, in some cases even choosing which game will be played. They'll be on the tracker, once there's a link to the tracker. Not having that means I don't have any examples for prizes right now, but I do believe that we this year are going to have fewer and bigger prizes rather than several small ones. I could be wrong.

=============

FAQ:
Q: What runs should I watch?
A: There is no one answer to this question. Anyone you ask will give a different answer.

Some of the most amazing runs will be listed somewhere eventually.

Q: Will ____ be there this year?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. It's probably a wise idea to avoid bringing up some of the more controversial runners/commentators from the past.

Q: So did you hear this juice piece of speedrunner drama-
A: OH MY GOD SHUT THE gently caress UP.

Okay, no, really, let's not do that this year. In the past, we've had rumours, accusations, shady tweets, unverified pastebins and all sorts of poo poo about who did what with whom and why. Keep that poo poo out of the thread, oh my god. This is not the place for that. In the past I've had to close threads because people wouldn't shut the gently caress up and I will do it again if necessary.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Many reasons, the primary of which that there wasn't room for it.

Q: Why didn't they read my donation comment?
A: You broke the guidelines. That's the only possible reason, really. Or you actually donated to the other stream so they read it there.

Q: Where is this happening? It looks different from last year.
A: It's returning to where it all began, actually! ESA2012 happened in the House of Culture in Skövde, Sweden. ESA2013 and 2014 took place in Nyeport, another locale in Skövde. Now, for ESA2015, we've returned to the House of Culture.

Q: This OP looks like a copy of the AGDQ OP.
A: So does this FAQ section and it pretty much is because I'm a lazy rear end. I wrote that one too, anyway. And that's still not a frequent question, shut up.

=============

And now, a song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Post reserved for things in the future!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

They could do several 4k streams from the venue if they wanted to.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 27, 2015

Zecks
Mar 6, 2013
how do u steal pc

Zecks
Mar 6, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

Okay, no, really, let's not do that this year. In the past, we've had rumours, accusations, shady tweets, unverified pastebins and all sorts of poo poo about who did what with whom and why. Keep that poo poo out of the thread, oh my god. This is not the place for that. In the past I've had to close threads because people wouldn't shut the gently caress up and I will do it again if necessary.

no fun allowed

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Zecks posted:

no fun allowed
Fun is optional, thus it's skipped to save time.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MrLonghair posted:

They could do several 4k streams from the venue if they wanted to.

Holy cow, that is one hell of a space :eyepop:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Stream's up.

http://www.twitch.tv/europeanspeedsterassembly

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Layouts where you can easily read names and numbers :love:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

The proud tradition of speedrun marathons not having properly filtered audio.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The proud tradition of speedrun marathons not having properly filtered audio.

If they every do I'll stop watching :colbert:.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Etrian Odyssey 3 is on now. It's a cool run playing to a dead room with barely anyone around to even help with the tech issues they had/are having with mics and mic levels.

Edit: RIP the Run, now for take 2.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So my run is up next. Apparently we're running behind, though, so I could have spent another hour trying to sleep and not succeeding due to people snoring loudly.

At least this was the only day I had to be up at a specific time, so I had an alarm set I did not want to miss - for the rest of the event, I can sleep with earplugs.

Edit: Also this is the first time I see Etrian Odyssey and now I finally know what the gameplay of that one weird XBLIG based on a Touhou meme and using thinly veiled Touhou expies for characters is based on. (incidentally, there's a fuzzball Touhou enemy that's been referred to as a "FOE" for a long time and seeing them in this game, I get that reference better too)

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 29, 2015

Zecks
Mar 6, 2013
even if youre the only runner of a game u could at least go thru the effort of looking competent if ur not gonna bother figuring out strats

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Zecks posted:

even if youre the only runner of a game u could at least go thru the effort of looking competent if ur not gonna bother figuring out strats
On the other hand he got through it and it's like rear end o'clock out there so it didn't do any real harm. And he did explain a few strats.

Or was this a random subpost about someone else entirely?

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Is there a channel archiving the previously streamed games anywhere like there was with agdq?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
I'm normally not that much of a fan of watching trials speedruns because while it's amazing how highly skilled the runners are it's kinda samey over the duration of a full run but I'm really enjoying this all challenges run thats currently going on on the second stream. It adds just the right amount of silliness to break up the run.

http://www.twitch.tv/esamarathon2

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Sorced posted:

I'm normally not that much of a fan of watching trials speedruns because while it's amazing how highly skilled the runners are it's kinda samey over the duration of a full run but I'm really enjoying this all challenges run thats currently going on on the second stream. It adds just the right amount of silliness to break up the run.

http://www.twitch.tv/esamarathon2

I had no idea there even were so many hidden challenges in the game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

asvodel posted:

Is there a channel archiving the previously streamed games anywhere like there was with agdq?
This channel seems to be doing it pretty quickly after each run

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsS8LJC382KpuNBsL1nXt_w/feed

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
lmao in the c&c tiberian sun run just as he was about to win an engineer captured his hq and he lost. Marathon luck :allears:

e: the build anywhere glitch and fastest gamespeed makes for fun run. Didn't expect that from an rts.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 29, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Donation speaker loud as a motherfucker, runners and game silent. Marathons despite everything we tell them :allears:

e: Dark Messiah run and it's still like that, chat tells them all about it, nothing gets done. Bad.
e2: Message to have tech keep tabs on audio at all delivered

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 29, 2015

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm glad that this guy doesn't like the game or the run at all.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mr E posted:

I'm glad that this guy doesn't like the game or the run at all.
Tonight on ESA1: Depression
On ESA2: Boredom

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I am enjoying Obscure Genesis Game portion of this stream

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Quest For Glory II posted:

I am enjoying Obscure Genesis Game portion of this stream
That was a good block, too bad it came far too late

Let's Play Castlevania Chronicles with Zastbat was good too for the wrong reasons. And the Tom Sawyer race was great.

Basically all the good stuff started after I was already regretting the wasted evening :saddowns:

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Wizards & Warriors really shows how some NES games were held together by old wires and hope. I love how broken it is. Good race.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I didn't think it was possible to look competent playing a Battle Kid and this guy's been near perfect

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I didn't think it was possible to look competent playing a Battle Kid and this guy's been near perfect

Even with the guy explaining that spelling puzzle I have no idea what the solution was.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

This game is pretty neat, wonder if IWBTG is base- GOT TRICKED INTO WATCHING A FAN GAME.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This game looks way more competently designed than IWBTG though

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

This game looks way more competently designed than IWBTG though

This seems like a nightmare to play through casually due to 1-hit death.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Studio posted:

This seems like a nightmare to play through casually due to 1-hit death.
There's also a difficulty mode that gives you 3 hits, at least.

Probably doesn't protect you against all those spikes of course.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

There's also a difficulty mode that gives you 3 hits, at least.

Oh neat! Yeah maybe then. This mode looks like one of those "good speedrun bad casual" games, especially with some of the gaps between save points and learning needed.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Yeah just break away from the runner-etc talk and game feed, go ahead :smith:

Though whatever magic they use to switch over and setup so fast is great.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 30, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This woman on the stream is being incredibly patient answering questions from the fuckin Twitch chat

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Majora's Mask the worst? Bad opinions in this stream.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Gay Tony on the mainstream, proclick. Love that game.

Tombad
Oct 21, 2010
Sound effects in Myth Makers have to be recorded by the developers after a particularly rough night of drinking. I mean those are terrifying. You complete a level and get rewarded with a death cry of a banshee. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

FF9 on the yellow stream, 9h35m estimate. Previously the ESA thought was to get nothing longer than six hours unless it's god-tier.

• Locked thread