Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Ooooh, shiny new thread! VS, what's the fire situation? Unlike certain other posters, I do NOT want you to have to bring your chickens inside because I care about your sanity and the welfare of your dining room furniture >_>

(No, really, if they have to come in I will engage in schadenfreude like the rest of us, and giggle, and be glad that you are such a considerate chicken-owner as to let us all watch your misadventures)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Did VS get quail?!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
More importantly, what would the chickens think of an Emu? :D

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Meanwhile the East Coast is warmer and drier than it's been in years. I tried to let the girls out after I got home tonight at 4:30... they were already roosted and didn't want to come out. Silly birds and their early bedtime! They'll probably be up and bored at 6am. I hope the weather calms down for you, VS!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Aww, Jimmy looks very amused!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
It's almost time for a new hatch thread... :henget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

By the way, we talked the other night and have decided that this year's Chickam hatch will be done the old-fashioned way...with a hen! This will make it a bit different as you won't be able the actually SEE the chicks emerge from the shells (mama stays clamped down pretty tightly) but on the plus side, you'll be able to see how a mama hen handles hatching chicks...and watching a broody hen mother chicks is sweet enough to nearly kill you. We plan on setting no more than a mixed variety of 12-14 of our eggs (no mail-order eggs this time) under one of the larger hens (if we have no large broody hens, it'll be a banty with only 5-6 eggs).

It may also mean that the hatch is delayed a month or so beyond the norm--probably around April or May--as we wait for a suitable hen who will stay broody and be a good mama. Of course we will have the ReptiPro running and standing by for any contingency like mama abandoning the eggs/chicks or turning on them for some reason, but it would be very unlikely we'd need it.

Everyone hope for a huge Brahma or Giant Cochin fluffybutt to go broody! :dance:

Yassssssssssss. <3 I can't wait!

• Locked thread