Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Grexit has a lot more hope than austerity in the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Actually Tsipras basically said the same things today that I've been saying about a grexit in this thread, it would be a complete and utter catastrophe:

quote:

Yannis Palaiologos ‏@yanpal7 3 mins3 minutes ago
The PM admits no financial support was forthcoming outside Eurozone & that the country had no foreign currency reserves to support drachma.
quote:
Nick Malkoutzis ‏@NickMalkoutzis 3 mins3 minutes ago
#Tsipras says he explored all options, including contact with Russia & China #Greece
quote:
Stratos Safioleas ‏@stratosathens 4 mins4 minutes ago
#GREXIT as an option means the wealthy would have a great time; middle and lower class would face a disaster says @atsipras

A grexit right now means no food and no energy, because there would be no money to import basically anything. They even talked with Russia like I guessed (assuming for energy).

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
People talked about the Grexit so casually, but part of me wondered if it was even possible in the first place. Guess it really wasn't. I at least admire him for picking the option that was the least worst for the majority of people in his country.

So what now? Even if Greece is still in the union, its relationship with everyone else has been so irrecoverably soured. Does that make the Grexit a long term goal instead of something immediately reactionary?

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
It's their loving fault for not having reserves why would you not have reserves in this situation jesus christ.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
How long does Greece have before it needs that new IMF loan?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PerpetualSelf posted:

It's their loving fault for not having reserves why would you not have reserves in this situation jesus christ.

Well they may have had reserves in the past but those reserves are now ECB reserves.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Morroque posted:

People talked about the Grexit so casually, but part of me wondered if it was even possible in the first place. Guess it really wasn't. I at least admire him for picking the option that was the least worst for the majority of people in his country.

From the sounds of it, that would've been accepting the deal that the referendum rejected, rather than putting it to a vote, getting that deal thrown out, realizing they can't actually afford to leave the Eurozone then accepting a worse deal and angering their own population that their vote was ignored - just about the worst way to go about it.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

PerpetualSelf posted:

Given that the debt level has gone from 125% to 175% in the last 5 years, I'm guessing that any currency reserves once present have long been used up.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Anyone know what the current situation on the ground in Greece is? I assume it's worse in Athens than on the islands, but they can't be too relaxed either.

Are Germans advised to avoid the country?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mulatto Butts posted:

Anyone know what the current situation on the ground in Greece is? I assume it's worse in Athens than on the islands, but they can't be too relaxed either.

Are Germans advised to avoid the country?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33535205

You might want to avoid it for a while....

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/07/finance-minister-greek-bailout-versailles-150715164751774.html

quote:

Clashes have broken out at an anti-austerity rally by thousands of protesters outside Parliament in Athens.

Riot police used pepper spray and tear gas on Wednesday night to fight back youths in the crowd who were hurling Molotov cocktails and rocks at police.

Police said about 12,500 people were at the rally at Syntagma Square.

The clashes broke out just as lawmakers were starting to debate an austerity bill that includes consumer tax increases and pension reforms.

Al Jazeera's Mohammed Jamjoom, reporting from Athens, said the protesters chanted anti-austerity slogans, and engaged in running battles with police.

"A lot of anger just boiled over," he said, adding that riot police are still out in force outside the parliament.

Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras, who has faced strident opposition to the bill from his own radical left Syriza party, says it's the best possible deal he could get to prevent Greece from being forced out of Europe's joint euro currency.

Earlier on Wednesday, former finance minister Yanis Varoufakis has told parliament that Greece's rescue deal was like the Versailles treaty, which forced crushing reparations on Germany after World War One and led to the rise of Adolf Hitler.

"'The powerful demanded that the losers accept terms they had no right to demand. The losers accepted commitments they had no right to accept'. These were the words of John Maynard Keynes on the Versailles Treaty. What we are confronted with is a new Versailles Treaty," the self-avowed "erratic Marxist" told fellow lawmakers ahead of a vote on the rescue deal on Wednesday.

Varoufakis, whose fiery language alienated many of his euro zone colleagues during five months of negotiations, resigned after Greeks rejected bailout terms in a July 5 referendum in order to facilitate talks. A deal was reached one week later.

He did not say if he would vote against it, or if he would even attend the key vote expected after midnight. Last week he skipped a vote on giving Tsipras a mandate to negotiate a deal.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 15, 2015

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
you have to hand it to Varoufakis: he knew when to get out (and earn the big bucks by selling books).

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
So, pretty much Greece should have immediately left the Euro 4 years ago, when they had lower debt and some currency reserves remaining?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Well technically they should never have joined it in the first place. They didn't meet the requirements and fiscal union without political union was always going to end up like this.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

TheBalor posted:

So, pretty much Greece should have immediately left the Euro 4 years ago, when they had lower debt and some currency reserves remaining?

yes, or defaulted within the eurozone in 2008/9 when nobody had any idea what was going on and they could've gotten away with it

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
So apparently a majority of SYRIZA's Central Committee have come out against the deal, suggesting that at the very least the left platform have a mandate to cross the floor and refuse to accept the deal.

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

TheBalor posted:

Looking at IMF data, Greece had roughly $US 6.5 billion in reserve assets 4 years ago and roughly 5.7 now (though it was averaging above 6.5 for the past year)

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

quote:

Riot police used pepper spray and tear gas on Wednesday night to fight back youths in the crowd who were hurling Molotov cocktails and rocks at police.

Half-serious question: how much longer can they actually afford riot police?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

They went through all the circus and showmanship with the No vote just to be forced to follow the same failed austerity policies.

etalian fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 16, 2015

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

TheBalor posted:

Soviet Space Dog posted:

Looking at IMF data, Greece had roughly $US 6.5 billion in reserve assets 4 years ago and roughly 5.7 now (though it was averaging above 6.5 for the past year)

Yeah, to say that the Grexit 2009 would not have been costly is wrong.
It would have been a different situation, probably with more goodwill directed to the direction of Greece and it could have been done under the normal IMF tutelage. And, the mechanisms would have been developed along this direction, not along the fact that Greece stayed in the Euro.

NEVERTHELESS a Grexit, for a small country like Greece in the vicinity (locality as well as economic connection) of Eurozone.
A Euro-peg would have never succeeded, not then and not now.

The large issues would have been the same as they are now: Devaluation, inflation (towards imports and internal savings) etc.
Export-led growth in a country with zero export industry would have been just as much a pipe-dream as it is now.

There is a reason why Greece still doesn't want to exit.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
this is usually about the time a junta comes in and make course corrections

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Morroque posted:

Half-serious question: how much longer can they actually afford riot police?

go3 posted:

this is usually about the time a junta comes in and make course corrections

These thoughts are quite possibly related.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://books.google.com/books?id=e...hatcher&f=false

"The Euro is often spoken of as a means to unite post-war Europeans together emotionally and politically and to give this united Europe the economic power to compete with the U.S. economy.

That’s horseshit.

The Euro was invented in New York, New York, at Columbia University. Professor Mundell invented both the Euro and the guiding light of Thatcher-Reagan government: “Supply Side Economics” or, as George Bush Sr. accurately called it, “Voodoo Economics.” Reagan-Thatcher voodoo and the Euro are two sides of the same coin. (Ouch! Some puns hurt.)

Like the Iron Lady and President Gaga. the Euro is inflexible. That is, once you join the Euro, your nation cannot fight recession by using fiscal or monetary policy. That leaves “wage reduction, fiscal constraints (cutting government jobs and benefits) as the only recourse in crisis,” The Wall Street Journal explains with joy—and sell-offs of government property (privatizations).

Why the Euro, Professor? Dr. Mundell told me he was upset at zoning rules in Italy that did not allow him to put his commode where he wanted to in his villa there. “They’ve got rules that tell me I can’t have a toilet in this room. Can you imagine?”

I couldn’t really. I don’t have an Italian villa, so I cannot really imagine the burden of commode placement restriction.

The Euro will eventually allow you to put your toilet any drat place you want.

He meant that the only way the government can create jobs is to fire people, cut benefits, and, crucially, cut the rules and regulations that restrict business.

He told me: “Without fiscal policy, the only way nations can keep jobs is by the competitive reduction of rules on business.” Besides bowl location, he was talking about the labor laws, which raise the price of plumbers, environmental regulations, and, of course, taxes.

No, I am not making this up. And I am not saying the Euro was imposed on the Old Country just so the professor could place his toilet at a place of maximum pleasure. The Euro is fashioned as an anti-regulation straitjacket that would eliminate gallons-per-flush laws, flush away restrictive banking regulation, and all other government controls."

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It is amazing how many bad things can be traced back to Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KernelSlanders posted:

These thoughts are quite possibly related.

Half of the police force are members of Golden Dawn, so... Yeah. They are.

Hitler.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rand alPaul posted:

It is amazing how many bad things can be traced back to Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher.

Well Thatcher and Reagan trace back to this guy, apparently. Though I'd be hesitant to ever give sole credit on something like supply-side to just one guy. The author was more likely trying to make a point.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Just sell Greece to Turkey or something.

I think the only way out at this point is for creditors to just eat the loss, but that's never going to happen. Greece is too demolished at this point to do anything remotely similar to repaying the money.

Future historians are going to point at this as the root cause of some war, aren't they.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

Future historians are going to point at this as the root cause of some war, aren't they.

it'll only take one spark at this point to light up the gunpowder, and that spark could be anything

history repeats itself when people don't loving learn why poo poo happened in the first place

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Always those drat Balkans.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just sell Greece to Turkey or something.

Let Germany annex Greece. That way, the Greek get financial help without any crushing conditions, and the Germans get access to the Mediterranean Sea. Everyone wins.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

He meant that the only way the government can create jobs is to fire people, cut benefits, and, crucially, cut the rules and regulations that restrict business.

He told me: “Without fiscal policy, the only way nations can keep jobs is by the competitive reduction of rules on business.” Besides bowl location, he was talking about the labor laws, which raise the price of plumbers, environmental regulations, and, of course, taxes.

No, I am not making this up. And I am not saying the Euro was imposed on the Old Country just so the professor could place his toilet at a place of maximum pleasure. The Euro is fashioned as an anti-regulation straitjacket that would eliminate gallons-per-flush laws, flush away restrictive banking regulation, and all other government controls."
[/i]

But if you use the euro you are in the EU and if you are in the EU many of your rules and regulations come from Brussels. You can't abolish them to get you through a crisis any more than you can devalue the currency unless you find support from many other countries (or a few big ones).

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
hosed by the Arabs, then hosed by the Italians, then Turks, and now the Germans.

The Greeks just can't get a break.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Venomous posted:

it'll only take one spark at this point to light up the gunpowder, and that spark could be anything

history repeats itself when people don't loving learn why poo poo happened in the first place

History education is always the first thing to get axed, along with the arts. I mean in most American high schools the history curriculum is taught by the football coach.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lichy posted:

hosed by the Arabs, then hosed by the Italians, then Turks, and now the Germans.

The Greeks just can't get a break.

They got plowed by the Macedonians and then the Romans, then the Ottomans, so on, so forth.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
They had a pretty good run, but after 300 BCE or so it was probably time to throw in the towel.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

They got plowed by the Macedonians and then the Romans, then the Ottomans, so on, so forth.

I like how greeks looked down on Macedonians but then claimed Alexander the Great was greek after he built his empire.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

etalian posted:

I like how greeks looked down on Macedonians but then claimed Alexander the Great was greek after he built his empire.

Then Alexander started dressing and styling himself as Persian after he conquered them. The man was not exactly a cultural partisan.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
Ah, so we've now come down to historical revisionism and the like.

Mm, Greek intellectuals never dominated in Rome, either.

Goons.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cliff Racer posted:

Well Thatcher and Reagan trace back to this guy, apparently. Though I'd be hesitant to ever give sole credit on something like supply-side to just one guy. The author was more likely trying to make a point.

Yeah, no, the entirety of the loving Europroject wasn't a diabolical plot to enslave everyone to the whims of supply-side economics.

There were a lot of dumb optimistic reasons to support it, lots of them economic. A lot of untested economic schemes seem to make sense at the time. (Like communism. :haw: )

I'm not even sold on it being a project that supply-siders largely supported - a pan-European cooperative effort sounds suspiciously like a thing that might counterbalance the oligarchs in any given country.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Velisarius posted:

Ah, so we've now come down to historical revisionism and the like.

Mm, Greek intellectuals never dominated in Rome, either.

Goons.

Intellectuals like Pyrrhus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, no, the entirety of the loving Europroject wasn't a diabolical plot to enslave everyone to the whims of supply-side economics.

There were a lot of dumb optimistic reasons to support it, lots of them economic. A lot of untested economic schemes seem to make sense at the time. (Like communism. :haw: )

I'm not even sold on it being a project that supply-siders largely supported - a pan-European cooperative effort sounds suspiciously like a thing that might counterbalance the oligarchs in any given country.

The single currency concept failed miserably since it was based on idealism.

• Locked thread