Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Antwan3K posted:

lol nice bubble this Greek economy yes

if there is one problem with the greek economy it's this unsustainable and unfounded growth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The real Greek GDP, outside of this maniacal bubble, is actually 38 million US$, less than that of Tuvalu.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Like, the loans they got were basically a rough equivalent of QE, and look where they ended up because of it. Keynesian economics is not some inviolable law of nature, it works well in some cases and fails miserably in others.

Antwan3K posted:

lol nice bubble this Greek economy yes

Yes, that is what it is? Are people here really that ignorant on this topic?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

V. Illych L. posted:

if there is one problem with the greek economy it's this unsustainable and unfounded growth

Precisely.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tsa posted:

Like, the loans they got were basically a rough equivalent of QE, and look where they ended up because of it. Keynesian economics is not some inviolable law of nature, it works well in some cases and fails miserably in others.

Yes, that is what it is? Are people here really that ignorant on this topic?

So what's the real GDP, absent the current inflated GDP of 246.6 billion US$? Is it in the millions? Tens of millions?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Unfortunately, having a huge % of your population retire at 50 is unsustainable, who would have thought? Having tax evasion be your national sport doesn't help either!

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Effectronica posted:

So what's the real GDP, absent the current inflated GDP of 246.6 billion US$? Is it in the millions? Tens of millions?

We'll find out soon enough :)

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tsa posted:

Unfortunately, having a huge % of your population retire at 50 is unsustainable, who would have thought? Having tax evasion be your national sport doesn't help either!

What is the real Greek GDP, since they are currently, even after a 33% decline, in a bubble?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

This is a bubble, there was no underlying reason for Greece to grow at that rate vs. other EU countries.

Greek productivity. Seems weird they grew more than other countries while having the lowest productivity and employment rate. It's almost as if the money just went to servicing a clientalist economy.

Greece has been in the shitter for a long time, and has papered over this with unsustainable debt. I hope this has been educational!

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Effectronica posted:

What is the real Greek GDP, since they are currently, even after a 33% decline, in a bubble?

This is the bubble deflating, see above.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Effectronica posted:

The real Greek GDP, outside of this maniacal bubble, is actually 38 million US$, less than that of Tuvalu.

Uhhh... Greece's 2014 GDP was $237.59 billion.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You know what else is unsustainable: banks that lend billions of dollars to people who could never pay it back in a hundred years...oh, but now that we've bailed them out it's time to demand people starve in the name of self-sufficiency.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tsa posted:

This is the bubble deflating, see above.

That's not what you said earlier, you L-I-A-R.

That's the bubble GDP. The real GDP is such that there are less than ten dollars per Greek.

Hungriest Hippo
Jul 7, 2015
I'll give one thing to Syriza, as much as I hate their dumb guts I have no idea what can be done to actually regenerate the Greek economy. Elimanating all international debt would be an obvious start and the fact that they aren't doing that shows how cynical the new negotiations are. Cracking down on tax evaders would be good but most of the uncollected tax is locked up in London and Manhattan real estate so that's limited. Stimulate the economy, what does Greece actually produce again that can be stimualed - tourism...can Athens be made into the next Barcelona? Kinda doubt it...yoghurt olives and shipping? Ermmm

Can they sell an island outright? How much would Lesbos fetch?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Effectronica posted:

That's the bubble GDP. The real GDP is such that there are less than ten dollars per Greek.

That's impossible. I know three guys who make more than that per year. Greece is a nation of 11 million, shipping and tourism alone have to be way, way higher than that.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Zeroisanumber posted:

That's impossible. I know three guys who make more than that per year. Greece is a nation of 11 million, shipping and tourism alone have to be way, way higher than that.

Wow, look at this guy who thinks that Greece isn't in a bubble right now. Jesus. What an idiot, am I right, fellas?

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

The selling an island suggestions are just bizarre, what are you going to do with the Greeks that live on the island?

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Sergiu64 posted:

The selling an island suggestions are just bizarre, what are you going to do with the Greeks that live on the island?

Move them to another island? It's not like anyone can tell the difference.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Effectronica posted:

Wow, look at this guy who thinks that Greece isn't in a bubble right now. Jesus. What an idiot, am I right, fellas?

Lol if you actually thing that the Greek GDP is $38 million. You sound like a crazy person unless you present some bulletproof sources for your number

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 10, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mr.48 posted:

Lol if you actually thing that the Greek GDP is $38 million. You sound like a crazy person unless you present some bulletproof sources for your number

Don't be willfully dense.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mr.48 posted:

tsa posted:

Without reforms QE makes the situation worse. You can't get out of a bubble by pumping it with more money. The whole problem in the first place is money going to unproductive clientalism, for QE to work you actually need to have a functioning economy to begin with. The IMF has not been opposed to helping Greece out, the problem is Syriza is doing jack poo poo to actually fix their underlying issues.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Still not a source for your quite specific and extremely ridiculous claim.

Chamale posted:

Don't be willfully dense.

Sorry I wasnt aware that people could just pull numbers our of their rear end and post them as if it were fact around here.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mr.48 posted:

You can't be this stupid.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Effectronica posted:

You can't be this stupid.

Effectronica posted:

Waiting for a source.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr.48 posted:

Mr.48 posted:

Waiting for a source.

I am sure that the guy making an absurdly specific and ridiculous claim is being 100% serious and not taking the piss out of the guy asserting that the current Greek GDP is actually some vague lower number. Good job.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mr.48 posted:

Waiting for a source.

That was a joke, based on tsa insisting that the Greek GDP is still inflated after a 33% crash. I predict that you will start pulling out GBS catchphrases about puppetmastering or whatever in response to this statement.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

I am sure that the guy making an absurdly specific and ridiculous claim is being 100% serious and not taking the piss out of the guy asserting that the current Greek GDP is actually some vague lower number. Good job.

Coolio, next time I make poo poo up I'll just pretend that its everyone else's fault for calling me an idiot when I was clearly kidding.

If you really were kidding its a pretty dumb joke.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mr.48 posted:

Coolio, next time I make poo poo up I'll just pretend that its everyone else's fault for calling me an idiot when I was clearly kidding.

he was really clearly kidding

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

It was incredibly obvious he was being sarcastic. Good lord

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mr.48 posted:

You really need to stop having such a low opinion of people that you assume someone who says that there are only three dollars and change per person in Greece right now is being serious.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Omelette du Fromage posted:

It was incredibly obvious he was being sarcastic. Good lord
Its entirely possible that the internet broke my sarcasm detector for good.

Effectronica posted:

You really need to stop having such a low opinion of people that you assume someone who says that there are only three dollars and change per person in Greece right now is being serious.

Have you actually talked to many people lately? Many are absolutely that dumb about anything that happens outside of their own little world. Sorry for blowing up on you.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Effectronica posted:

To be fair, Greece chat here has been almost wall-to-wall shitposting and poorly veiled racism for a while, so your constant sarcasm and "joke" racism just sort of blend into the diarrhea stream at this point.

Hungriest Hippo
Jul 7, 2015
Greece is not a bubble it is a recession, perhaps a depression. Dunno if this has been resolved or not yet.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

tsa posted:

Without reforms QE makes the situation worse. You can't get out of a bubble by pumping it with more money. The whole problem in the first place is money going to unproductive clientalism, for QE to work you actually need to have a functioning economy to begin with. The IMF has not been opposed to helping Greece out, the problem is Syriza is doing jack poo poo to actually fix their underlying issues.

I'm not going to comment on QE. But I will say that clientalism of the Greek form is not necessarily unproductive. If the money for paying pensioners had come from taxes of some sort (rich people, tourism, shipping, olives, whatever) then those pensioners can go out and spend that money on goods and products. In an economic sense, that isn't unproductive. Greece's problem is that it financed its client payments with money it could only borrow because of the interest rate convergence that occurred because lenders assumed that Greece would be bailed out by the EU, boy was that wrong.

I am not defending Greek clientalism or the practice in general, especially because Greece's pension system appears to account for about 15% of GDP (I forget where I saw that number). But the problem with Greece isn't that it engaged in clientalism per se or that clientalism is necessarily a drag on the economy, the problem is that Greece borrowed a poo poo load of money to do it on a grand scale.

Also, I don't think I have ever seen (presumably) unsustainable GDP growth ever referred to as a 'bubble.' Although I guess the Greek GDP is supposed to measure the value of the whole Greek economy (an asset of sorts) and the people bidding up the price of that asset were the people willing to loan the Greeks ever more money, betting that the asset would be more valuable tomorrow than it is today. I suppose they also could have been cynically betting on a bailout, so they didn't care about the value of the asset from day one.

Oliver Blanchard's explanation of the IMF's position is interesting. So is the inevitable response from Krugman.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Mr.48 posted:

Have you actually talked to many people lately? Many are absolutely that dumb about anything that happens outside of their own little world. Sorry for blowing up on you.

You may have the 'tism.

(This is not a joke)

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

tsa posted:

Well greece does have two somewhat separate problems. First they have obvious structural problems (small weak economy). But second, and somewhat separately the recent past has hosed their financial system. They have zero money flowing, terrible employment and aren't coming close to properly utilizing the capital and labor that they do actually have. Financial policy, which might include QE, could theoretically addresses that. Although how you implement anything in the current context is a huge question.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
In a way, Greece has to crash so that you know for a fact what the rock bottom level level of real productivity is. Defaulting cleanses all debts and gets you to that point, at the cost of the misery of the common Greek.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mr.48 posted:

I think if they're dumb enough to swallow that line about 38 million dollar being the GDP of Greece you'd need to reclassify them as plants.

On the other hand, I found this data supporting Effectronica, so maybe the Greek GDP really is that low

Source.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
A+ trolling going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Boner Slam posted:

Piketty and Kruggles are not in opposition to my view, duder.
Ah, sorry, it looks like I was misreading your posts then.

quote:

Who claims that finance people are qualified in economic policy matters? That's an entirely different education.

...a hell of a lot of people who work in finance, unfortunately (as ridiculous as that may be, given, as you said, it's a completely different education). Even people who consider themselves liberals/not right-wing (which would actually be most of the people I know who work in finance) seem to automatically assume the prevalent ideology of their employer to be the most correct/objective. There's this sort of anti-intellectual bent to it, which is strange given that most of the people I'm thinking of work in various quantitative fields, rather than in sales-focused positions.

quote:

Otherwise I am not sure I know where you are disagreeing with me...

Yeah, I think I read something into your posts that you weren't actually saying due to my own dislike of the sort of attitude I (wrongly, apparently) was attributing to you.

• Locked thread