Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

I hope the movie opens with big chap having a nightmare that Ripley JONESY is about to burst out of his chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The What If comic is incredibly silly, worth a look.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Baronjutter posted:

The What If comic is incredibly silly, worth a look.

i was like "where the heck is this going???" and then it efficiently set up where it wanted to go :stare:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Crosspost from the other Alien thread:

Icon Of Sin posted:

Y’all he put a loving xenomorph in this pic. Play with the brightness/exposure settings and it pops up.

AlienTheory posted a pic showing it, and I had to go check it.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Production values look solid, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTNMt84KT0k

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Okay a swarm of facehuggers is actually really freaky but maybe that's just playing off my arachnophobia. Kinda surprised an Alien film hasn't featured something like that before though come to think of it.

Anyways teaser looks good and they definitely nailed the visuals. I'm excited :)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s a swarm of facehuggers in avp

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Alvarez's Evil Dead remake had some fun parts but overall was only ok

Never saw don't breathe

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

ruddiger posted:

How can you forget those bullet-time facehuggers? :smug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zadok Allen posted:

Production values look solid, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTNMt84KT0k

There's a fuckin' pulse rifle in the trailer. I'm in.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Not reading any spoilers but I hope it's connected to Covenant somehow......it's me, I'm the latter day Ridley liker

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ruddiger posted:

All I remember from that is a Predator swinging an alien around by its tail which was hilarious and also another alien having a comically long tail just so they could do a shot of it impaling and lifting a predator up to its face. Oh and that flashback scene of the huge alien swarm attacking the predators on top of the pyramid which was a fun clip but also kinda annoying in a "This is what you were hoping the film would be, isn't it?" type of way.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

General Battuta posted:

Not reading any spoilers but I hope it's connected to Covenant somehow......it's me, I'm the latter day Ridley liker

:cheers: comrade, but we shouldn't get our hopes up.

The teaser is giving me 'contemporary Alien/Aliens remake' vibes but it's too early to tell tbf

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's can often be obvious from a trailer if something is going to be horrible, but its almost impossible to ever tell from a trailer if something will be good. The trailer looks fine, lot of potential. But we really won't know a thing until the movie is actually out.

It's kind of amazing the amount of content mill and rage bait that gets generated just from trailers where people just make up entire things from whole cloth to declare something a total trash failure or obviously the film event of the year. It seems especially bad with anything related to nerd media.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Seems like it at least doesn't completely ignore the Ridleyquels?

"That’s not correct, but it does take place between the two movies [Alien and Aliens]. The way we crafted it is if you haven’t seen any of them, I’m jealous because you’ll have an incredible experience. You’ll have all these worlds of Alien coming at you, and you’ve never experienced any of this. You don’t know how the creature is born, and you don’t know any of these things. That’s fantastic. You’ll have a blast.

[...]

So it is crafted in that way, and hopefully it works that way for everybody, but it is connected to all of them. I love all of those movies. I didn’t want to omit or ignore any of them when it comes to connections at a story level, character level, technology level and creature level. There’s always connections from Alien to Alien: Covenant. "

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/alien-romulus-trailer-ridley-scott-1235856321/

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That sounds to me like "I don't want to get in a scrapfight with the fandom about canon, it's a film about people on a space station getting attacked by an alien and nobody is going to stop to drop any one liners about the fate of the Covenant"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Takes place between alien and aliens, is about a crew investigating an abandoned space station, I think i've seen this one!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So basically the entire plot leaked a little while ago and the trailer matched it perfect. For anyone that cares about its relationship to Covenant...

The Black Goo features heavily and David is directly referenced.

More details...

The space station was experimenting on The Black Goo, which they call the Prometheus Strain, before everything went to poo poo. David is mentioned as having successfully reverse enginered the Prometheus Strain which naturally occurs in Xenomorphs. David's ultimate fate isnt clarified, but his work is back in the hands of WY.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That sounds pretty cool. It almost sounds like a mix between Alien Isolation and that draft Alien 3 script with the back-bursters and the soviet station tryig to do alien DNA (goo) research. I'm actually pretty optimistic about the movie. I mean the general plot of a movie is never the measure of it being good or bad, a lot of things sound great on paper but the execution is dogshit. I'd be happy with a solid lore-friendly universe-respecting well written alien romp that brings some new ideas to the table.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Baronjutter posted:

It's can often be obvious from a trailer if something is going to be horrible, but its almost impossible to ever tell from a trailer if something will be good. The trailer looks fine, lot of potential. But we really won't know a thing until the movie is actually out.

It's kind of amazing the amount of content mill and rage bait that gets generated just from trailers where people just make up entire things from whole cloth to declare something a total trash failure or obviously the film event of the year. It seems especially bad with anything related to nerd media.

All true. I'm optimistic about what I saw though since it seems to get back to what I want and like about an Alien movie. I'm all in for a back to the basics approach with this franchise. Reminds me in that way of the trailer for Prey, which I still haven't seen yet but heard was good. The best trailers set a tone and make you want to see more without giving the whole film away.

Also worth noting I think that 9 out of 10 times when a trailer looks like complete poo poo, it usually is complete poo poo. But the ratio of good trailer to good movie ratio is far higher.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
alien covenant is good, bitch

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It doesn’t actually matter if they reference plot points from other films or not; namedropping Shaw or Engineers or whatever is basic fan reference poo poo, while the point of the movie would be to advance the narrative.

A common complaint about Alien Covenant is that its ending resembled Alien too much, but the point of Covenant is that - after 3-6 movies - we’re looking at those kind of events from an entirely different perspective. So the protagonists kill the alien, just like in Aliens - “yay!” - but we know that the alien isn’t the actual threat. The company’s not doing the ‘bioweapon conspiracy’ thing from the comics either, and that doesn’t matter because Covenant highlights the fact that Ash and Mother were fuckin’ crazy. David isn’t acting as an agent of the corporation. He doesn’t have a profit motive.

The ‘danger’ of Alien 7/Prometheus 3: Romulans is that it could mark a thematic regression back to Alien 4. “Walmart wants to turn people into dinosaurs” poo poo, y’know? Because this appears to be the first time that they’re depicting “the science division” in a medium that anyone cares about. That’s very dicey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Xenomrph posted:

Shh, shhhhhhhhhhhhh, we don’t talk about that.

Rule of Cool trumps all. Based solely on the first movie, Skynet happens regardless of where the Terminator dies.

Nah, Skynet is a closed loop that creates itself by sending a robot back in time, but also destroys itself by preparing Sarah & John Connor to fight back.

The Predator must crush the Terminator somehow in a way that allows it to collect the outstretched hand as a trophy but not the head.