Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Stare-Out posted:

Would you not say though that the suggestion of gore can be considerably more effective than explicit, visible gore?

I agree with the rest of that analysis, I just found that particular line to be a sticking point. The point of horror is catharsis, to see the things that terrify or revolt you in a context that's safe (but not too safe!) so you can understand them. Subtlety and gross exaggeration are both valuable tools.

I don't demand that a horror film frighten me, because if I did I would enjoy very few of them (and the ones I enjoyed would often have more to do with my personal phobias than the craft of the filmmaker.) I just expect that they have something to say about fear.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gaz2k21 posted:

Hey man contamination rules!

I love it, but it really, really doesn't rule to me.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Gaz2k21 posted:

Hey man contamination rules!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I agree with the rest of that analysis, I just found that particular line to be a sticking point. The point of horror is catharsis, to see the things that terrify or revolt you in a context that's safe (but not too safe!) so you can understand them. Subtlety and gross exaggeration are both valuable tools.

I don't demand that a horror film frighten me, because if I did I would enjoy very few of them (and the ones I enjoyed would often have more to do with my personal phobias than the craft of the filmmaker.) I just expect that they have something to say about fear.
I absolutely agree that catharsis is a pivotal part of it but the mastery comes from basically using your own fears against you effectively, to leave enough room in the material for interpretation so you can subconsciously insert your own worst fears in what you see and experience in the film and be affected that way. In a safe environment, precisely, like you said.

But I think what Cameron means has to do more with how a lot of horror movies tend to be gratuitous with the violence and gore (funnily enough, much like Aliens is), and while that can be effective in its own way, doesn't really evoke a sense of fear or terror as much as disgust which should be more of a payoff instead of the core of what you're experiencing. Maybe that doesn't come across as well in a short soundbyte like that, granted.

And with Alien it's used masterfully; there's fertile ground there for genuine terror, physical in the Alien's power of violently and effectively ripping you apart and mental/sexual in the phallic and vaginal imagery and the insertions and laying eggs and what have you.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
For me, the most interesting and unsettling part of Alien didn't even make it into the movie at all. The part where Brett is turning into an egg. You can sort of see what resembles a human figure, but it's mostly just a mess, and while it's not gory, it is disgusting.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I agree up to a point, to me it's not as much about being disgusted by the visual but horrified by the very notion of the Alien coldly and instinctually reducing Brett (or any human) into a stage of its development. What is so striking about that is that you can easily imagine some insect doing that to another insect in the sense of "it's just what it does", it's evolution, it's survival, there's no conscious malice behind it at all but to us it's a person, a whole life lived. And now it's just a platform for creating more of something else. That's terrifying.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Stare-Out posted:

But I think what Cameron means has to do more with how a lot of horror movies tend to be gratuitous with the violence and gore (funnily enough, much like Aliens is).

You really think Aliens is gratuitously violent? I'm not even sure if it's as gory as the first is.

(I'll acknowledge that if you just re-color Bishop's 'blood' to be red, his surprise maiming by the queen alien would be a top-contender for the most gruesome moment in the whole series, but hey)

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of real world analogues, I'm sure I missed someone already mentioning the dragonfish.

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure!

On a related note: once I found the fish's eyes I found it ever-so-slightly less unnerving. I mean, don't get me wrong, those are some terrifying, soulless predator eyes if I've ever seen them, but it's definitely a different effect.

Edit: Good God even that translucent one looks like a chestburster!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

lizardman posted:

You really think Aliens is gratuitously violent? I'm not even sure if it's as gory as the first is.

(I'll acknowledge that if you just re-color Bishop's 'blood' to be red, his surprise maiming by the queen alien would be a top-contender for the most gruesome moment in the whole series, but hey)
I don't mean gratuitous in a negative sense when it comes to Aliens, it's an action movie after all. There's the first chestburster scene and indeed Bishop's treatment in the hands of the Alien Queen that are both very explicit and in-your-face gory, but also the aliens themselves, many of them are killed in a very gruesome and gory fashion which is very fitting and acceptable in an action film.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^ Ah, including the robots, aliens themselves and general destruction makes sense. I was thinking more exclusively in graphic violence/ gore concerning people. Robot and alien guts look different enough that it doesn't effect me so much (also neither of them show much in terms of pain or suffering, which makes it less disturbing).

Also, did some googling of that black dragonfish and just had to share:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

But I think what Cameron means has to do more with how a lot of horror movies tend to be gratuitous with the violence and gore (funnily enough, much like Aliens is),

I think it's a testament to his skill at that time that you feel this way. Aliens is an extremely visceral film, but I'd almost compare it to Mad Max in that way more stuff happens off screen than people remember. Alien is of course way more suggestive though in general like you say. The Alien's existence reducing us to another bug in a vast food chain is one of the most terrifying things about it and is what really taps into the cosmic horror.

EDIT: As far as violence in Aliens goes I was thinking of just violence inflicted on humans too. I mean who cares about a glorified toaster or an ant amirite? :haw:

blackguy32 posted:

For me, the most interesting and unsettling part of Alien didn't even make it into the movie at all. The part where Brett is turning into an egg. You can sort of see what resembles a human figure, but it's mostly just a mess, and while it's not gory, it is disgusting.

I was glad Dead Space ripped this off, it made for one of the few sections of the game after the pretty strong opening where it was almost a straight horror game again. I'm really glad the scene was added back in even if Scott was fine what was in theaters.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ugh, I hate that scene so much. One of the only things in film to ever have grossed me out to the point of me actively never wanting to watch it again. I think it's by faaaar the most disturbing moment in the entire franchise.

Has Scott ever talked about the alien design from the end of Prometheus? I'm not sure what to think of it at all, it doesn't look very scary, but at the same there's something almost dignified about it. I have no idea what they were actually going for there.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I really wish they just went ahead and used the OG Giger-designed alien for that shot in Prometheus, even if it wouldn't really make sense. I always felt with that movie you either did have a xenomorph cameo or you didn't but they went with "kind of" so the result is what should have been a crowd-pleasing moment turned into a big ol' "meh".

Also with the original design it's more likely they would have used a proper suit and not CG'ed it, and the design of the creature we see in Prometheus is nowhere near as scary or compelling anyway - it looks like some kind of eye-less dinosaur.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

At the same time, one could just say that's what it looks like when it emerges from an Engineer. When you say "original design" though do you mean the one he derived from the Visitor painting with the really clear shades/eyes? I like the eyeless a lot more. The head actually being a weird helmet over a human skull is awesome too, and would have been fitting.

At the same time, I like how primordial and less robotic the stuff is in Prometheus vs. the biomechanical suit built into/around the engineer.

Either way I hope Prometheus 2 (is it still going to be called Paradise?) is even more out there if they actually follow through with having Shaw/David explore space more.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
I'm ridiculously so much more hyped for Prometheus 2 than Alien 5 (especially if the latter retcons Alien 3).

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
OBCY

lovely frame but I have to make do until I find something nice.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's it say?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
It's been a while and I've forgotten. I think it's the tag line but I'm not sure.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah it is, also seems to be keeping the subtitle that a lot of European countries had: "Alien - The 8th Passenger"

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)

Gaz2k21 posted:

I don't think I've watched anything but the assembly cut ever since it was made available.
Personally I've always enjoyed Alien3 and for a long time it was my favourite of the series mostly because I would have been about 10 or 11 when it got released, in fact I distinctly remember being excited about seeing footage from it on a TV show called "Movies Movies Movies"

When we finally got it on VHS it had a trailer for Alien War on it, this was a total reality experience in London that would involve being lead through a complex by a marine only to be attacked by xenomorph's my god did I want to go to that I never got chance though.

I went through Alien War as a kid ( :smug: ) and it was goddamn amazing and terrifying. The props and sets were fantastic, especially the marine costumes and guns that made all the right noises.

The highlights that I can remember:
- being led through a patch of eggs, and 1 of them slowly opening as you walked past
- being herded into an elevator, then just as the doors shut an alien lunges in and pulls one of the party out
- at the very end, you are running madly along a corridor with the marines yelling and shooting behind you, then you bust through some double doors and find yourself outside the attraction in the middle of a shopping centre with loads of shoppers staring at you

I'm still amazed that they never brought it back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRiOBVjxLJY

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man, the first time I ever went to London that had just opened, and my parents asked me if I wanted to go but I said no because I thought it was too scary (I would've been like 9), what a loving idiot kid I was, I probably would've remembered that experience for life.

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004
Alien War was amazing. Great attention to detail and lighting in the sets you walk/run through.

The only poor bit of it was the weapon firing effects as it was obvious that it was just strobes and loudspeaker sound effects.

I remember being yelled at to run by the 'marine', and the whole group running round a corner and being confronted by an alien half crouched with it's arms reaching out towards you - just a few feet away. Cue everyone hightailing it back the way we came! :wth:

The elevator section was in fact supposed to be some sort of transport vehicle. One of your party was actually a member of staff whose job it was to get grabbed. Not that you realize it at the time of course. It was pretty shocking when it happened.

The gift shop had a load of props from the movie, including body armour and face-hugger stasis tubes, and some movie models including one of the drop-ship.

I was really disappointed when they closed it down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

It's been a while and I've forgotten. I think it's the tag line but I'm not sure.

I asked my wife and she could actually sort of read it because all slavs are the same and said "in (something) no one can hear your screams". I think it's safe to assume it's space.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Bagpuss_UK posted:

I went through Alien War as a kid ( :smug: ) and it was goddamn amazing and terrifying. The props and sets were fantastic, especially the marine costumes and guns that made all the right noises.

The highlights that I can remember:
- being led through a patch of eggs, and 1 of them slowly opening as you walked past
- being herded into an elevator, then just as the doors shut an alien lunges in and pulls one of the party out
- at the very end, you are running madly along a corridor with the marines yelling and shooting behind you, then you bust through some double doors and find yourself outside the attraction in the middle of a shopping centre with loads of shoppers staring at you

I'm still amazed that they never brought it back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRiOBVjxLJY

They actually did, in Scotland and Blackpool but it wasn't licensed and it closed in 2013.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Marketing New Brain posted:

Aliens doesn't even work if you haven't seen the first, and it isn't because the incredibly simple plot is hard to understand, it's that we need to be as afraid of the Alien as Ripley, without that the whole first third of the movie falls flat. It relies on us already having that tension built so it can create an exciting 80's action horror movie and not make it three hours long.

I've always found Alien 3 to be a bit disjointed, although I had no idea it had so much studio interference. It is a shame Fincher wasn't allowed to make the movie as he saw fit. The entire catacombs sequence is amazing, and Weaver's performance is so far beyond what we saw in Aliens. I've always felt 3 was a bit too maligned, and Aliens was a bit overrated.

I saw Aliens first and loved it. Being younger, I remember trying to rent Aliens 2 because I knew there was a sequel, not realizing that Aliens WAS the sequel.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Holy poo poo, I remember Alien War! My little brother and I went to visit our sister in England back in...probably '96 or '97 and we did that! It was fuckin' rad. I remember the marine telling everyone to keep their hands at the level of their eyes (Phantom of the Opera reference, motherfuckers!) in case any facehuggers tried to attack you. The thing I remember most, though, was how hard the marine was trying not to have a British accent. He went wa-a-a-a-a-ay too far in the other direction and ended up with that weird combination of New York and Texas that most British people seem to think an American accent is. Made the whole thing really surreal/hilarious.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I can't believe this thread passed under my radar.

I'm a big fan of the Alien3 Assembly Cut, and I almost universally prefer it to the theatrical cut. There's a few alternate scenes I prefer in the theatrical cut, most notably at the beginning and end.

Ripley getting ejected from the EEV and having to be rescued on the beach by Clemens always struck me as goofy, and I always felt the characters finding Ripley in the EEV and realizing she was alive was more visually interesting than finding her on the beach. We also don't really get an indication of how she got out of the EEV. Was she ejected? If so, how?
The Assembly Cut version also introduces a bit of a continuity error, because for whatever reason, the EEV is switched in its position - in the theatrical cut, one side is submerged in the water, and in the Assembly Cut it's the other. This is important because of where the characters are located in the EEV - from left to right, it's Bishop, Hicks, Ripley, and then Newt. In the theatrical cut, the right side of the EEV is underwater, so it makes sense when you find out Newt drowned in her cryotube but the other characters didn't. In the Assembly Cut, it's switched so the left side is underwater.

I also much prefer the ending in the theatrical cut showing the Queen Chestburster popping out of Ripley, and a large part of that is the music. Here's the theatrical version of the scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyZ4nwg7GgE

Here's the Assembly Cut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3vbfkRB6gQ

The Assembly Cut really truncates the (awesome) soundtrack, and once you know what to listen for in the theatrical cut, it's really jarring in the Assembly Cut (the music edit happens at about the 1:58 mark).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Xenomrph posted:

I can't believe this thread passed under my radar.

I'm a big fan of the Alien3 Assembly Cut, and I almost universally prefer it to the theatrical cut. There's a few alternate scenes I prefer in the theatrical cut, most notably at the beginning and end.

Ripley getting ejected from the EEV and having to be rescued on the beach by Clemens always struck me as goofy, and I always felt the characters finding Ripley in the EEV and realizing she was alive was more visually interesting than finding her on the beach. We also don't really get an indication of how she got out of the EEV. Was she ejected? If so, how?
The Assembly Cut version also introduces a bit of a continuity error, because for whatever reason, the EEV is switched in its position - in the theatrical cut, one side is submerged in the water, and in the Assembly Cut it's the other. This is important because of where the characters are located in the EEV - from left to right, it's Bishop, Hicks, Ripley, and then Newt. In the theatrical cut, the right side of the EEV is underwater, so it makes sense when you find out Newt drowned in her cryotube but the other characters didn't. In the Assembly Cut, it's switched so the left side is underwater.

I also much prefer the ending in the theatrical cut showing the Queen Chestburster popping out of Ripley, and a large part of that is the music. Here's the theatrical version of the scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyZ4nwg7GgE

Here's the Assembly Cut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3vbfkRB6gQ

The Assembly Cut really truncates the (awesome) soundtrack, and once you know what to listen for in the theatrical cut, it's really jarring in the Assembly Cut (the music edit happens at about the 1:58 mark).

I agree with all this. The assembly cut is better but I'm so used to watching the theatrical cut that there are a few standout scenes that feel like missed opportunities.

The other thing that stood out to me in the assembly cut was the fact that I don't think the dog is ever introduced, as the alien has a different origin, but the dude who gets chopped up by the fan still looks down the hole for his dog. Minor quip.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

second-hand smegma posted:

I agree with all this. The assembly cut is better but I'm so used to watching the theatrical cut that there are a few standout scenes that feel like missed opportunities.

The other thing that stood out to me in the assembly cut was the fact that I don't think the dog is ever introduced, as the alien has a different origin, but the dude who gets chopped up by the fan still looks down the hole for his dog. Minor quip.
Yeah, he calls for his dog in the assembly cut, but the dog itself isn't actually seen in that version of the movie.

I have "ideal versions" in my head for all four of the Alien movies, where I'd mix-and-match alternate/deleted scenes from the different versions of each movie. For Alien 3 I'd keep the theatrical version's crash and salvage (it's more visually interesting, keeps with the continuity of the character's deaths, and establishes the dog), keep the theatrical version's Ripley death, and then keep everything else from the Assembly Cut.

Fun fact: the Alien was always intended to be born from an ox. They filmed all the adult Alien scenes first, under the assumption that they could make the "ox-burster" scenes work later. When they couldn't get the effects for the baby Alien to work right, they said "oh poo poo, now what do we do?", and then they remembered that they'd established the dog in the EEV salvage scene and in the dialogue during the fan attack so they changed it to be a dog Alien.

It's just funny seeing people say "the adult Alien acts dog-like, because it was born from a dog", because that was never the intention when filming.

Also for people who like movie merchandise and stuff, NECA's figure of the Dog Alien is fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNiZyObkxo

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 25, 2015

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

I like the Assembly Cut version of her falling because it places an emphasis on why Ripley is sacrificing herself more without shoehorning in the chest burster to make sure a retarded audience knows why she's doing it. It's smarter.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I can agree with that, too. I think mainly the film and music quality are poor in the assembly cut and kind of harm the impact of that particular scene, in comparison to the TC. I still love the overall ending, all the doors being locked, the series being shut down and abandoned, never to be opened again. You know, until we grave rob it and clone the main character.

edit; Also, I was going to mention that the only thing I actively dislike about Alien 3 (either version) is the weird hard-rock gangrape music in that one scene that completely kills all dramatic tension and sounds at odds with everything else on the otherwise excellent soundtrack. It's like this weird super 90s presentation moment that I can't ever seem come to grips with.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 25, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Immortan posted:

I like the Assembly Cut version of her falling because it places an emphasis on why Ripley is sacrificing herself more without shoehorning in the chest burster to make sure a retarded audience knows why she's doing it. It's smarter.
I can understand this, but it just murders the fantastic soundtrack. :saddowns:

They could have gone with the scene as originally scripted, I guess. :v: The Queen pops out of Ripley as she's standing on the ledge, it tries to crawl away, and Ripley falls down, grabs it, and then tumbles backward with it off the ledge before the other characters can stop her.
That version of her death is present in the comic book adaptation, I can't remember if that's how it plays out in the movie novelization.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Immortan posted:

Ehhh. The imagery in the Theatrical is more interesting. Maybe it's just the bad visual effect they had to throw in, but the AC's version looks bad to me all around.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think the lack of chestburster is a lot classier. It bursting out as she falls just feels too expected. I also like the longer Lance scenes in that ending.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
:siren: Original AVP script author Peter Briggs responds to Sigourney Weaver's claims about killing off Ripley due to "planned" AVP films + other stuff!! :siren:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...aliens-20150723

quote:

"Maybe they were in a panic about 'Alien 3'…I have no idea. And so when I hear Sigourney Weaver recounting her killing off Ripley in 'Alien 3' because she’d heard Fox were talking about doing 'Alien vs Predator,' despite the fact our project was first spoken about and initiated well over a year (not even counting Vincent Ward’s involvement!) after her movie had gone into active production, I really have to roll my eyes at her claims," Briggs said. And then he goes even further:

I love “Alien 3”. Well; I didn’t on its theatrical release, but I find the recent extended DVD recut even more watchable than “Aliens.” I’ll also be honest that I’m less-than-wild about the two “Alien vs Predator” movies (particularly “Requiem”, about which less said the better) But I do wish Sigourney Weaver would stop beating on “Alien vs Predator” as her pet piñata in “ruining” the “Alien” franchise, and acknowledge that two standalone “Alien” movies she was actively involved with unfortunately managed that first, all on their own.

I don’t even know if Sigourney Weaver has read the “Alien vs Predator” draft I wrote. She’s never said she has. But, I was a fan obsessive of the “Alien” franchise, Sigourney. Big time. Particularly Ridley’s original, which is still unmatched. And “Alien vs Predator” — as a concept — is still killer, full of potential. Even its critically maligned first cinematic outing made $172,544,654 worldwide, compared to $159,814,498 for “Alien 3” and $161,376,068 for “Resurrection”. Hardly a financial “fail” there, Sigourney.

There’s a terrific “Alien vs Predator” movie still to be made by someone. It just hasn’t happened yet."

:sbahj:

At least he shares my views on the A3 Assembly Cut :D

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My movie isn't bad look at all the money it made!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baronjutter posted:

My movie isn't bad look at all the money it made!
It doesn't look like he had anything to do with the released AvP movie. They had been working on that concept ever since people went crazy for the alien skull gag in Predator 2 so this was a way earlier draft. I read something that claimed to be an AvP draft a long time ago but I have no idea if it was real or not - I vaguely remember something about a colony outpost and a woman fighting side by side with a predator.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

It doesn't look like he had anything to do with the released AvP movie. They had been working on that concept ever since people went crazy for the alien skull gag in Predator 2 so this was a way earlier draft. I read something that claimed to be an AvP draft a long time ago but I have no idea if it was real or not - I vaguely remember something about a colony outpost and a woman fighting side by side with a predator.
His draft is basically an adaptation of the comic series that incorporates more Colonial Marine action (the original comic had no Marines in it whatsoever).

Also the skull in Predator 2 was a nod to that comic series (put there by Stan Winston himself, as a matter of fact), which was in publication and very popular while 'Predator 2' was being made.

You can find the Peter Briggs AvP draft online here.

The AvP movie we ended up getting has some things in common (Predators breeding Aliens for sport, female protagonist, Predator team-up for a bit, Predator ship shows up at the end and honors the protagonist) but a whole lot of it is different.

And he's not wrong that an AvP movie *could* be done well, it just hasn't yet.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 25, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

edit; Also, I was going to mention that the only thing I actively dislike about Alien 3 (either version) is the weird hard-rock gangrape music in that one scene that completely kills all dramatic tension and sounds at odds with everything else on the otherwise excellent soundtrack. It's like this weird super 90s presentation moment that I can't ever seem come to grips with.

The same track is used again very briefly while Dillon/Ripley/the Alien are struggling in the lead vat. It is weirdly different from like every other track as presented in the movie. At the same time, the movie was made in the 90s and released in 1992. That the scene is so 90s in general says a lot about how influential Alien 3 was with stuff like that and its dutch angles and stuff. It's also interesting in that if one were to listen to just the score itself, it actually does fit in really well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

One thing I do wish was carried over from Alien 3 into other Alien products is these sick helmets the the enforcer guys rolling around with Weyland and his doctors are rocking:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

One thing I do wish was carried over from Alien 3 into other Alien products is these sick helmets the the enforcer guys rolling around with Weyland and his doctors are rocking:

Those things show up in the AvP2 PC game (and on a smaller scale, the AvP: Extinction RTS video game on consoles), and NECA has confirmed they'll be making a figure of the W-Y "dog catcher" soldiers with that mask.