Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

blackguy32 posted:

I kind of want to see it over again and watch it from SMG's perspective. I had never really noticed that on my first and only viewing of the movie and I think it is kind of funny that the movie pretty much takes place in small town America.

If you do, it's essential to watch the director's cut, and turn up the brightness a few notches.

Otherwise, my advice is to pay attention to the editing, because it's very deliberate. Like, for example, you get a cut from the little girl putting on night-vision goggles to the protagonist staring at the (green) glass of a beer bottle while he gets drunk - implying both that their perceptions are being distorted, and that they're seeing things 'the way they really are'. The aliens emerge at around this same point.

(This is likely a reference to Jurassic Park, where the dinosaurs break free at the exact same point that the kid plays around with his night vision goggles - implying that he's entering a 'virtual reality' of CGI monsters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

People, generally, do not know why they like or dislike things. I do not expect you to be different.
I must be the outlier, I'm pretty good at recognizing why I do or don't like things. :cheers:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

I must be the outlier, I'm pretty good at recognizing why I do or don't like things. :cheers:

Well, post your reading. I enjoy a challenge.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
SMG can you compare your analysis of the Newborn killing the Queen in Resurrection to Cuddles killing the Engineer in Prometheus?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah uh that's not what people (fans or otherwise) complained about.

Like, at all.

And this is coming from someone who was entertained by AvPR (but recognized its flaws).

The darkness thing is actually the most common complaint I see about AVPR, and SMG is totally right (the cinematography is fine, the home transfer just got hosed up).

Otherwise, the second most common beef I see with AVPR is that it's not really an Alien vs. Predator movie, but rather a suburban slasher film with Aliens and Predators shoehorned in, which is... kinda what he addressed there, dude.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The true beauty of the Alien franchise is that the lesser films in it aren't any less fun to discuss than the better ones. Hell, theyr're sometimes more, because Alien and Aliens have been analyzed to death whereas AVP: Requiem is relatively untrod ground (meaning you have to actually work those film-crit brain muscles instead of being able to use other writers' readings as a starting point).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The darkness thing is actually the most common complaint I see about AVPR, and SMG is totally right (the cinematography is fine, the home transfer just got hosed up).

Otherwise, the second most common beef I see with AVPR is that it's not really an Alien vs. Predator movie, but rather a suburban slasher film with Aliens and Predators shoehorned in, which is... kinda what he addressed there, dude.
I was kind of surprised they didn't "fix" the darkness problem for the home release, it seems like it would have been easy.

Then again this is the studio that drastically hosed up the bluray release for 'Predator' where all the characters look like wax people because they half-assed the restoration for bluray.
I wish they'd put the sort of care into the Predator bluray as was given the 'Aliens' one, but I think a large part of why the Aliens bluray turned out as good as it did is because the restoration had Cameron himself at the helm.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Immortan posted:

SMG can you compare your analysis of the Newborn killing the Queen in Resurrection to Cuddles killing the Engineer in Prometheus?

It's been a while since I've watched Resurrection in English (because it's much better as a silent), but the 'newborn' thing is basically a nightmarish zombie version of Newt (Ripley coming to terms with the fact that Newt is dead, giving her a tearful goodbye), whereas the 'Trilobite' abortion monster represents Shaw's rage over being unable to have kids (redirected towards the god responsible).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Silent as in totally silent? Or does the movie provide as "isolated score" viewing option? And if not, do you feel such an option would help a "silent" viewing of the movie?

I do need to rewatch Prometheus, because I honestly cannot remember a single thing about the film's score.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I just watched a Russian dub; I don't speak Russian.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

The whole "predators built all ancient buildings that were bigger on the bottom than top, look, they're ALL bigger on the bottom than the top!! ALIENS!" was so eye-rollingly stupid even Giorgio Tsoukalos would be embarrassed. Anyways, surprised to hear defense of AvP:R in this thread! Does anyone have anything good to say about Alien 4 other than ron pearlman is in it?

It's visually interesting, parts of the score are great, many of the scenes are fantastic in a bubble, but don't work in the greater whole of the narrative.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Baronjutter posted:

Anyways, surprised to hear defense of AvP:R in this thread!
It's SMG. AVPR is one of his touchstone movies; if it's mentioned three times in a thread, he pops up like the Candyman. See also Battle: Los Angeles.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

The whole "predators built all ancient buildings that were bigger on the bottom than top, look, they're ALL bigger on the bottom than the top!! ALIENS!" was so eye-rollingly stupid even Giorgio Tsoukalos would be embarrassed.

Didn't Anderson actually read Chariots of the Gods and At the Mountains of Madness for "inspiration" when writing the AVP script?

Anyway, I have to admit that I enjoy both versions of Alien 3. The assembly cut is better, and neither is as good as the first two (though I've kind of warmed over the past few years to Alien 3 being about as good, if almost completely opposite, to Aliens).

I just watched Chappie and after the disaster that was Elysium it made me more confident that Blomkamp could make a good Alien movie, though I don't know how well he'd do if it was entirely in a spaceship rather than some urban decay zone that is/is represented by Johannesburg. Not to mention how lazy it is to just decide "I'm going to just do another Aliens and pander to everyone's complaints about Alien 3." The other day I was listening to someone on a podcast talk about how glad they are that the new Alien 3 is being made to replace the actual Alien 3 because "Hollywood is able to take more risks now," and I immediately thought, "The only thing known about it is that it's going to bring back the characters killed off and bring back more focus on soldiers, exactly what fans had been complaining about the third one, how exactly is that a bigger risk?"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't Anderson actually read Chariots of the Gods and At the Mountains of Madness for "inspiration" when writing the AVP script?

Anyway, I have to admit that I enjoy both versions of Alien 3. The assembly cut is better, and neither is as good as the first two (though I've kind of warmed over the past few years to Alien 3 being about as good, if almost completely opposite, to Aliens).

I just watched Chappie and after the disaster that was Elysium it made me more confident that Blomkamp could make a good Alien movie, though I don't know how well he'd do if it was entirely in a spaceship rather than some urban decay zone that is/is represented by Johannesburg. Not to mention how lazy it is to just decide "I'm going to just do another Aliens and pander to everyone's complaints about Alien 3." The other day I was listening to someone on a podcast talk about how glad they are that the new Alien 3 is being made to replace the actual Alien 3 because "Hollywood is able to take more risks now," and I immediately thought, "The only thing known about it is that it's going to bring back the characters killed off and bring back more focus on soldiers, exactly what fans had been complaining about the third one, how exactly is that a bigger risk?"

Yeah this poo poo is really souring me on him. Sure, make your own fan-service alien 3 but acting like he's going in and correcting some terrible injustice or disaster is just offensive to all the brilliant work that went into the very good movie that is alien 3 (assembly). Like, just make your version but you don't need to constantly tell everyone how awful alien 3 was.

I'm guessing it's going to be a really cool looking Alien 2.5 that's 50% marines shooting aliens and fast-paced action and 50% fan service winks at the camera and references.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah this poo poo is really souring me on him. Sure, make your own fan-service alien 3 but acting like he's going in and correcting some terrible injustice or disaster is just offensive to all the brilliant work that went into the very good movie that is alien 3 (assembly). Like, just make your version but you don't need to constantly tell everyone how awful alien 3 was.

I'm guessing it's going to be a really cool looking Alien 2.5 that's 50% marines shooting aliens and fast-paced action and 50% fan service winks at the camera and references.

That's silly.

Like, as if half of what made Alien To The Power Of Three 'good' was its ostensible dearth of 'references'.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The Prometheus thread in GBS is loving garbage.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
When you think about it, with Bishop, Ripley, the alien in Ripley AND the facehugger that got the dog/ox surviving such a brutal crash is a pretty good survival rate.

As for Blomkamp's Alien 3, he would become my favorite director in all of history if he kills off Ripley/Hicks/Newt like ten minutes in.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 31, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Blomkamp's retconning away Alien3 a confirmed thing or just handwringing over ~*possibilities*~?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Is Blomkamp's retconning away Alien3 a confirmed thing or just handwringing over ~*possibilities*~?

His concept art for it has a very much alive Hicks.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yaws posted:

Actually, on the subject of Prometheus, one of the things that most surprised me about it tying into the Alien universe was that it actually continued the alphabetical android naming where Alien Resurrection left off (Ash, Bishop, Call, then David).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chairman Capone posted:

Actually, on the subject of Prometheus, one of the things that most surprised me about it tying into the Alien universe was that it actually continued the alphabetical android naming where Alien Resurrection left off (Ash, Bishop, Call, then David).
But it's a prequel, it should have been something like Zane. :colbert:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Annalee Call" ruins the whole alphabetical android thing :( Fuckin' resurrection.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

poo poo, has thus project even been greenlit yet in the first place? It seems like Blomkamp's pushing this concept art stuff out there like 'hey! Somebody hire me to make an Alien movie! Yoo hoo! Come on'

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

"Annalee Call" ruins the whole alphabetical android thing :( Fuckin' resurrection.

Ignore the first name and it doesn't, which works since her being an android was a minor twist.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Ignore the first name and it doesn't, which works since her being an android was a minor twist.
The other androids had first names as well - the computer listing all the marines when they're being woken up lists Bishop as "L. Bishop" (for Lance), and Ash has a first initial according to the inquest report scrolling in the background of Ripley's corporate interrogation (although I don't remember what it is off the top of my head).

If anything that means Prometheus is the one that breaks the pattern. :v:
Unless David is his first name, and he has a last name that keeps with the pattern I guess.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
His last name is 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJs7uluwlU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yaws posted:

it's actually funnier than anything in cineD so no

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
If I am remembering correctly in the theatrical cut of Alien 3 the dog is the host of the Xenos, but in the other cut one of the cows they use for butchering is the host? Also, I remember in the original version the attempt to contain the alien in the waste bunker just fails when someone gets offed by the creature and his ignition stick sets the trap off early, but in the redone cut it is lured into the bunker and actually trapped, but the insane religious guy who thinks the creature is the avenging wrath of god frees it. It has been ages since I watched my anthology DVDs...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That's all correct, as far as I remember.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
For me, one of the worst things about the theatrical cut is that Golic just loving vanishes. In the assembly cut, I believe they actually show him dying. But in the theatrical cut, I don't think we see him again after Clemmons dies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

blackguy32 posted:

For me, one of the worst things about the theatrical cut is that Golic just loving vanishes. In the assembly cut, I believe they actually show him dying. But in the theatrical cut, I don't think we see him again after Clemmons dies.
That's correct, his subplot doesn't get resolved in the theatrical cut. In the Assembly cut, he cons Morse into letting him free from his straight jacket, and then he goes to the vault where they've got the Alien locked up, slits the throat of the prisoner guarding the vault, and opens the vault and is promptly murdered by the Alien.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

He's on the commentary and he talks about what it was like at the premiere to see that his character ended up having like thirty seconds of screen time despite all that was filmed of him. Understandably same feeling among him and his colleagues as Terry Crews in Terminator: Salvation.

Oh man Terminator: Salvation. Like, on paper, a Terminator movie that chronicles the future war and has great CG along with great practical effects coming in 2009 that stars Christian Bale, Bryce Dallas Howard, Terry Crews, Anton Yelchin, Common, Helena Bonham Carter and Michael Ironside that is written by the guys that did the script for The Game and touched up by the guy who did the scripts for The Prestige and The Dark Knight. Such a massive waste of talent. Dammit McG and Christian Bale's ego.

One thing I do miss from the theatrical version of Alien 3 is this cool shot of the EEV behind lifted and brought into the compound by a massive crane. It's a cool minature with little figures of the prisoners standing on top of it. But I can understand why it was cut since it's a pretty short shot before it goes to the dog that no longer exists getting attacked by the facehugger and, even when seen on the DVDs (let alone the blu-ray) the shot isn't quite as convincing because the fakeness of the prisoner silhouettes is very clear. Still it was pretty cool.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 7, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So uh. We're getting a new Alien movie that isn't Neill Blomkamp's movie.

http://www.heyuguys.com/prometheus-2-title-ridley-scott-interview/

Prometheus 2 is officially called Alien: Paradise Lost now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It was pretty funny reading a few articles about how Scott has three additional Prometheus sequels planned. The entire article is written sarcastically as if the writer assumes nobody reading it will think Prometheus sequels is a good idea, but I'm sitting there pumping my fist that I may get more Prometheus.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Prometheus was far from perfect but I can't help but love the movie.
I'm a sucker for SciFi movies, add in the Alien franchise and I'll be there.

I'm part of the problem. :v:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Absolutely love Prometheus, wanna see him make a ton more movies in that universe

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have no beef with Prometheus, but I'm way more interested in that than Blomkamp's fan fiction. :( Which sucks because he's my number one choice to make an Alien movie. As much as I wouldn't mind seeing Ripley again, it's Hicks and possibly Newt coming back that sucks poo poo.

Blomkamp, they're dead, alright? Can I go now? Sheesh.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Im sick of Ripley too at this point. Alien 3 was a perfect ending to her story. How many times do we need to resurect and torture this poor woman.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

zVxTeflon posted:

Im sick of Ripley too at this point. Alien 3 was a perfect ending to her story. How many times do we need to resurect and torture this poor woman.
Well they only did it once (twice if you count the comics, kinda retroactively three times if you count the novels).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

zVxTeflon posted:

I hope that Weaver ends up contractually obligated to star in more, and someone comes in and kills her and hicks off again. The fan reaction. :allears: